• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The most powerful films

Come And See/Idi i Smotri.

Once was enough.

I know others who feel the same way because it bored or confused them, but personally, I've never felt so emotionally or physically drained after watching a film. Still glad I managed that one and only time, though.

Come And See/Idi i Smotri.

Once was enough.

I know others who feel the same way because it bored or confused them, but personally, I've never felt so emotionally or physically drained after watching a film. Still glad I managed that one and only time, though.

Agree completely. Absolutely shattered me.

Have to agree about 'Come and See'. It's an incredibly powerful film. In contrast to a movie made by a popcorn seller. *cough*Saving Private Ryan*cough*

Schindler's List - beautiful and so sad
The Notebook - seems kind of pitiful that this movie impacted me, but it really did.

Schindler's List
Pay it Forward
and
The Return of the King - How love brings forth so much courage even in the face of death.

For me it would be

Shawshank Redemption
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
L.A. Confidential
Butterfly Effect

The Enigma of Kasper Hauser

Oberst Redl

Both of which are enormously challenging about the nature of self, duty etc.

You have got to be kidding. How do you like the scene where he beats his wife with a stick while the whole town cheers him on? Think he taught her a good lesson there? John Wayne was the most pathetic cowardly sack of shit to ever work in Hollywood, and that movie is a giant misogynistic suckfest.

Whoa...say what you really think, don't sugar-coat it! :D

FWIW I agree with you. My mum hated that film 'cos of the pathetic simpery way Maureen O'Hara's character behaved.

And BRAVEHEART - whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Leaving aside Mr. Gibson's questionable politics, that film plays so fast and loose with real history as to be laughable. Real British history is exciting enough without being 'improved' by Hollywood thank you very much.

Shawshank redemption
Million Dollar Baby
Crash
Requiem for a dream
Notebook
The Godfather
The Lakehouse
American Beauty

Just to name a few...

The most powerful movie I saw? What's New Pussy Cat? It just shattered me, man. And I was like, so that's what it's all about.

Sometimes a movie leaves an imprint on you. You feel one way when you start watching it, but you are not the same when it's over. It probably didn't change your life, but it did something to you for a few days or at least a few hours.

What movies had the greatest emotional impact on you?

For me it's:
Requiem for a Dream
Amelie
Garden State
Magnolia

Hey, listen, movies don't leave imprints on me. You know why, cause I'm a man. When I watch movies it's just cause I'm bored, but I realize that they don't mean anything.
..Movies just go good with potato chips

why does everyone like requiem for a dream. It's like Jennifer Connely in the labyrinth, but cutting all the corners!
and as far as I'm concerned the shawshank redemption had no redeeming qualities!!!! hahaha

My favorite movie is RUSHMORE! the seduction of a teacher is the nobelest aspiration a student can have.

Rushmore was good but I can easily think of 50 movies that were better. It was far better than The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

oh life aquatic? is that the one where bill murray is in a submarine? I didn't see that. I haven't seen Bill Murray in anything past Rushmore

Back