• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The New DC 52

I haven't read a DC comic book in years - I read the occasional graphic novel, but that's fairly intermittent too. However, I was fairly interested in this reboot, so I ordered Swamp Thing, Demon Knights, Justice League: Dark and Batman. So far I've only received/read Swamp Thing, but it was a good read and set things up nicely. Hopefully the others will follow suit, and if so I may even place a standing order.

DC is all about reboots. It's like they are constantly running out of ideas and they go rewriting or recounting a character's origins. One of the characters most guilty of this is Batman, and I'm not talking about the movies. Almost every Batman book I'm mildly interested in has the writer's own take on what drives The Dark Knight, and I feel like time I cannot get back slipping away from my fingers. Geez.

Having said that, I love their Vertigo line, and of the new 52s, I'm personally most interested in the China Mieville-penned Dial H for Hero. I shall wait for Comixology sale to pick up that one. :)

DC is all about reboots. It's like they are constantly running out of ideas and they go rewriting or recounting a character's origins. One of the characters most guilty of this is Batman, and I'm not talking about the movies. Almost every Batman book I'm mildly interested in has the writer's own take on what drives The Dark Knight, and I feel like time I cannot get back slipping away from my fingers. Geez.

These characters are far older than us, reinvention is part of their survival.

These characters are far older than us, reinvention is part of their survival.
My problem isn't that they need to reinvent. My problem is they reinvent all the time. I'm beginning to feel sometimes killing off some of the characters is a good way of putting some of them to bed.

Strangely, I think the powers that be are listening to the fact that people are getting pissed at the fact that people are killed in comics (but not really), and death is losing its significance as the end of all things.

The latest I heard was Prof X getting offed in the latest issue of Avengers vs X-Men, which is the last major story arc before Marvel's new revamp called Marvel NOW! And of course even though she's returned a couple of times, they seem to be keeping Jean Grey dead for now. Nightcrawler is dead.

In the Ultimates Universe, Marvel has killed off Peter Parker and Cyclops, among scores of others. The new Spider-Man's a young black kid, whom I understand is getting pretty popular.

Back