• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The new economy of book publishing

To be fair, the book sells for $27 but the e-book $10.

Of course, and I'm sure that's part of the reason - along with the fact that this is one eagerly awaited bestseller, not the business as a whole. But that price difference has always been there (well, for the last 3 years, and it may not stay that way). The point is that for whatever reason, people have gone from not buying any e-books at all to buying what scientists commonly refer to as "a shitload of'em." It's no longer a question of if there's going to be a media shift, or even when (it's already happened), but who's going to come out on top and to what extent it's going to take over.

... buying what scientists commonly refer to as "a shitload of'em." It's no longer a question of if there's going to be a media shift, or even when (it's already happened), but who's going to come out on top and to what extent it's going to take over.

I'll drink to that beer good!

Some publishers seem to think pursuing eBooks is yet worthwhile; Macmillan Press put out a blog on March 2nd, announcing that their entire sales model for eBooks is being re-vamped. The MP CEO also indicated they will likely expand to illustrated books and so forth, when the technology "moves beyond eInk screens".

Blio, I think, should be able to help MP out with that. I cannot wait for it to be available.

I don't like the e-book. For 1), it is expensive, and will go on being expensive. You must charge its batteries, which will add to your energy bill, and it will breakdown (all hi-tech does - its the in-built obsolescence). A book? You can throw it about and it doesn't (always) break, it don't need electricity (the sun, the sun!!!), and it don't give you the monitor-headaches that too much computer time does.

I think it is a little like a car. It is expensive and will go on being so. You have to put gas (or ethanol) into it, and it breaks down. Walking? You can go wherever you want, avoiding the trees of course, and enjoy the sun on the way. And never see a computer if you wish, although that is getting harder.

Us? We have five computers here now (and a car), so I have the feeling an e-reader is not far behind.

I think it is a little like a car. It is expensive and will go on being so. You have to put gas (or ethanol) into it, and it breaks down. Walking? You can go wherever you want, avoiding the trees of course, and enjoy the sun on the way.

While a car and your feet will get you to the same place at different times, a book and e-book will both get you to the same place just as fast.

Also, 5 computers? Damn. I don't even have that many.

Just slowly keeping up with the fast pace of technology over the past 10 years or so. ;) One's a 386 machine (inactive), and we just accidentally found irresistible prices on the two recent new ones. So, maybe it's quite a bit like how e-readers will proliferate.

The price for the Barnes & Noble Nook has now been decreased. What is more interesting about it is this article that I read. Evidently, amazon and B&N are not making money on their readers, but rather, they hope to cash in on the e-books that people buy to use on the readers. There is some historical precedence here, the safety razor was a similar item that was a money loser but that saw profits from shaving cream. $139 isn't too bad. Then again, why not just buy an iPad and get everything?

It sounds like market turmoil will be with us for a while. So I'm hanging onto my plain old ancient go-phone for dear life. Can't beat the rate for the low use I make of it. No books, no video, no Internet, no e-mail, no messaging, no chat, no twitter, no hassle, no bills. Stone age! :cool:

I see Amazon is advertising the verra "cheap" prices of 9.99 for e-books.
Hah, still can't beat second hand prices, or library sale prices.
I do think any of the readers would be great for traveling, but still prefer books, real paper books.

Plus I still don't cotton to the idea that Amazon can reach into the kindle and yank a book out, with no warning, if they so desire.

Then again, why not just buy an iPad and get everything?

The iPad isn't even remotely close to $189.

It sounds like market turmoil will be with us for a while. So I'm hanging onto my plain old ancient go-phone for dear life. Can't beat the rate for the low use I make of it. No books, no video, no Internet, no e-mail, no messaging, no chat, no twitter, no hassle, no bills. Stone age! :cool:

Word. I don't want to read on my phone either -- the screen is too small for that. But I will happily use my smart phone to find bus time, check my location on Google Map, use the Google Translate application, Google voice, Gmail, etc. Damn I love my Android phone -- and that's coming from someone who was a mobile phone Luddite until 3 months ago.

One niche I had not considered for eBooks was the Travel Guide. In fact, it seems like a match made in heaven.

Last week while researching an upcoming trip, I noticed that you can buy pdf files of individual chapters of various Lonely Planet guides. I think 3.50€ per chapter is a bit excessive though since if you buy 4 or 5 chapters, you might as well buy the dead tree edition instead. I think 1.50-2€ per chapter is a better price.

I know what you're going to say: "yes but you are paying for convenience and portability!" and I don't really have a response to that except I understand but I don't have to like their pricing structure.

OK, I am done rambling. For now. ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y187_sparkchaser1998_smileys_1shifty.gif

A kindle-sized device with built in GPS (linked to Google maps), WiFi, color screen, and 8GB or more of storage would be perfect for doing the tourist thing.

Wait. Except for the size, I just described my mobile phone.

Back