• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The New Large Font Paperback

eyez0nme

Anyone hate the new, large, easy-to-read, paperbacks? Say I. It's a goddamn kids book.

Not only is it a waste of paper but also space and ink.

What has this f**king world come to? My God. :mad: Are people that f**king illiterate?

I never thought I'd say this, eyez0nme, but: I agree with you.

For some reason the hardbacks usually have normal type and then the paperbacks have big spacing and big margins. Even a great literary work like Andrea Levy's Small Island gained 100 pages in transition from hardback to paperback. Why? Is there some primitive urge to buy fat books that publishers are pandering to? Is that how we now judge books, by the number of pages, on a value-per-pound basis?

I agree with the size of print issue. I don't agree that people are illiterate because the type is larger - they wouldn't be able to read much of it anyway, if they were.

And yes, Shade, I do believe that the number of pages is how some would choose to buy their books these days.

for some reason I found that as the font gets bigger, it's harder for me to read !

I like paperback, but the ones that are printed large are really annoying.

it may have to do something with number of pages ,, as Shade said

Garamond is my favourite font.

Those books printed with large sizes of fonts are meant to be presbyopia-friendly.
At least that's what the publishers want the readers to believe. ;)

eyez0nme said:
Anyone hate the new, large, easy-to-read, paperbacks? Say I. It's a goddamn kids book.

Actually, no. It doesn't bother me, at least in the reading process. The only semi-complaint I have is that they take up extra room in my bag.

Edit: Unless we're talking about font large enough to be classified as a "large print" edition that they have in the special section of the library. That does bother me. But the larger print paperbacks I've seen don't have font as large as that.

Back