• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The purpose of getting your degree

SFG75

I read this article and I began to immediately produce steam out of my ears. Perhaps she is trying to make a greater point and perhaps she was annoyed with how her college was sold to her with smiles, all the while, they were cashing her tuition checks. At the same time, I examined what the real reason was as to why I chose to do what I did with my life in obtaining my degree-what is the purpose of getting your degree? I can honestly say that financial benefits constituted about 10% of the reason for me to pursue what I wanted to pursue. 90% of my reasoning had to do with wanting to do what I enjoyed, not financial rewards. So, what do you think? In giving her the benefit of a doubt, do universities owe it to their students to not churn out graduates who hold "worthless" degrees? (don't mind the gas can by the fire, I will move it myself later on thank you. :whistling: )

Thompson says she's been unable to find gainful employment since she received her information technology degree in April.
Oooo. In the midst of a global recession, it's taken her more than 3 months to find a job? The hell you say!

do universities owe it to their students to not churn out graduates who hold "worthless" degrees
Universitites owe it to their students to provide them with an education and, if they qualify, a degree that matches what they originally signed up for, obviously. If you study a subject for 4 years at a renowned university, you should expect the education to hold a certain quality and your degree to have a certain value - which may or may not be "worthless" in monetary terms, depending on what you choose to study. If you want a job, it's still your own responsibility to get one. Duh.

Five little words that go a long way: "You want fries with that?"

I would think her unemployment has more to do with geography as opposed to education. If she wants an IT job, she had better consider moving to the southwest U.S. If you can't find jobs with a B.A. where you live, then you should stick around for another two years and get an M.A. Seriously, no one is gainfully employed with a B.A. in psychology or literature. Those are just hoops to an M.A. or other advanced degree that actually opens doors for you. It really isn't that hard to figure out, seriously.

I don't about the rest of you but I think I can put the blame for this on her and her C average.

As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record. But Monroe's career-services department has put forth insufficient effort to help her secure employment, she claims.

Haha this cracks me up. I got my BA in psychology while carrying a 3.94 GPA, and my MS while carrying a 3.87. I still haven't been able to find a real good job for myself, but I can't say that it ever occurred to me to sue someone because of that. Own up to your failures and move on, please. Quit trying to find blame because things didn't work out the way you dreamed. Schools don't promise you a great job. They promise the tools to get a great job. If you aren't able to use those tools in 3 months, I can't imagine how any judge in his/ her right mind would really consider this a credible lawsuit.

OK, since most of what I know about the US school system comes from TV series, I have to ask, once and for all:
a) Does this "Permanent record" thing actually exist?
b) Do high school students actually care what's on it?
c) Does anyone, anywhere, in any situation, employer, cop, social worker, presumptive spouse etc, give a damn what's on it once you've turned 18?

a) Yes but "permanent" means until 12th grade graduation.
b) Only until they get into college and if anythign there prevents them from graduating.
c) Nope.

Where do these people come from?

"I just got out of college, now give me a damn job! NOW!!!"

Way too much instant gratification. I tell you McDonald's is ruining our society.

I tell you McDonald's is ruining our society.

Standing on the OTHER side of the counter would bring about some much needed humility. Then again, a lot of store owners, managers, and business executives got their first start in work.

Wait, I'm confused. It says she's seeking 70K CDN, so she's Canadian? Why would she spend 70K on what looks like a vocational college (look at the site)? While colleges in Canada don't give degrees, only in rare occasions when the college is accredited and even then it's only in limited programs like Interior Design and Architecture, why incur the cost of going to the US? She could have gone to the US seeking a degree...but she could have gone to an Canadian University (which can give degrees) for less than 70K. Hell, she could have gone to a college in Canada for 8 months for 5K and been left in the same jobless position.

Like you've all mentioned, it had only been three months, she's in the wrong part of the country, there's a recession. This is just sue crazy.

Back