• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Real Dracula

ValkyrieRaven88

Has anyone else here read Dracula Prince of Many Faces? It's really my first historical non-fiction book, and I'm very impressed by it. It's about the real Dracula, Vlad Tepes, who lived in fifteenth-century Romania. In addition to telling what happened in the life of Dracula, the authors try to explain why he was as harsh as he was, and they really paint a vivid portrait of this man. It certainly makes me happy that I was never anywhere near where he ruled...

Was this written by Radu Florescu and Raymond T. McNally? I read one of their other books many years ago, In Search of Dracula, and enjoyed it very much. I agree with you on one thing: I'm glad I don't live in 14th-century Romania ;).

If I recall correctly, Florescu is a descendant of Vlad's family - I think his sister or something married a Florescu?

I just saw a special a few weeks back on his "search for Dracula". It was really interesting, but I didn't realize there was a book.

Yeah, those are the same authors. Different book, though. Florescu isn't a descendent of Dracula, but is the descendant of one of his well-known enemies, a Romanian nobleman. Vlad Dracula didn't have any sisters that I know of--he had two brothers, Mircea and Radu--although his father probably had many illegitimate children who weren't named in the book.

Yeah, those are the same authors. Different book, though. Florescu isn't a descendent of Dracula, but is the descendant of one of his well-known enemies, a Romanian nobleman. Vlad Dracula didn't have any sisters that I know of--he had two brothers, Mircea and Radu--although his father probably had many illegitimate children who weren't named in the book.

In the show I watched on the History Channel, I think they did make some familial connection between Florescu and Vlad Tepes. I don't think it was a direct relationship though, perhaps a cousin or something of that nature. It may also be as a result of a marriage that has occured since that book was written sixteen years ago. I wish I remembered more, but I was doing other things at the same time it was on.

It's possible, as families were frequently inter-related during that time. I actually saw that same show, and I didn't realize until after I got the book that the author was the same man who was featured in the show.

Back