• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Return Of The King **Spoilers**

Darren

Opened today.

Let's here all about it...

Spoilers are allowed in this thread without having to use the spoiler tag.

Woohoo!!! :) I cant wait to see it, but im not going until after the Chrimbo rush!!

Also, i get the extended DVD of Two Towers for Christmas, so i get to watch both the others before going to see RotK!! :D

Phil

This email arrived in my inbox today. Thought it looked interesting.

We thought you would want to know about a major research project that is accompanying the release of The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. In twenty countries across the world, researchers are collaborating in a study of audience responses to the film. We will be finding out about people s enjoyment of it, but also about the disappointments and frustrations that some people feel. And in particular we will be exploring what this fantasy story means to this whole generations of film-goers and readers of the books. Where is Middle-earth? What does it mean to people today?

We ourselves admire The Lord of the Rings. We know the books, and like many other people we were excited when we heard that they were being made into a trilogy of films. For many, it has been a remarkable set of films. But in what way remarkable? What is so powerful about it, for you? From reading reviews, seeing discussions, hearing conversations, we know that people have some pretty different ideas. Some people have loved all three movies. Some people had reservations. Some were disappointed. Some even disliked them. We want to understand why. This isn't only for fans. Some people prefer the books. Some people find it all overrated. And so on. Whatever your views on the film, we want to hear them.

This will be the biggest audience study ever undertaken. And at its centre is a web questionnaire that anyone can fill in. We are expecting over 100,000 responses from across the world. Here s the web address:

www.lordoftheringsresearch.net

The questionnaire is now online, and we very much hope that you will give us your views. Be there, to be counted! And, if you can, let others know too!

Thanks,

Martin Barker
Director, Lord of the Rings research project
University of Wales, Aberystwyth

I saw the film yesterday morning, and again this morning. It was superb. Exciting, emotional, scary, funny - it was utterly brilliant! The battle scenes were excellent, Shelob the spider was hideously believable, Denethor was chilling and superbly acted. Daft bits: Legolas climbing up that war elephant (can't remember what you call them) like he was Daredevil, unrealistically swinging up as easily as if he was strolling in the park - yeah right. And Sam and Frodo surviving amidst all that lava! But still ...

The look of the film was superb, Minas Tirith was awesome, as were the special effects, especially re the Dead warriors. If this does not win Jackson a Best Film Oscar and Best Director, it will be utterly shameful. :mad: From what I can remember, it seemed fairly faithful to the book, though I read it about a year before the first film came out and purposely didn't re-read it until I had seen all three films. I have to say that being able to remember who lived and died kind of spoiled the suspense for me slightly, especially at the end in Mount Doom.

Well, I think that all three films have been truly magnificent - a major achievement to film what has been described as an unfilmable book, and to do it such justice ... They are truly stunning - go and see The Return of the King ASAP. :) :)

I saw it on Saturday. FANTASTIC!!

The battle scenes are awesome.

It's been nearly twenty years since I read the book, so I couldn't remember most of the key points.

Did they change much from the book? I can't remember the Dead Army in the book.

Halo, I agree about those two scenes. Sam and Frodo did very well to survive all that lava, and Gollum didn't even flinch as he was cooked!

Yes, and he must have been made of rubber as he also survived that 200-foot fall down the mountain! As far as I can remember, the Dead Army was in the book, though I'm not certain.

I saw it yesterday, and it was AWESOME!

I didn't find ANYTHING wrong with it, not even Frodo and Sam surviving (which they did in the book), nor Legolas taking the Oliphaunt head-on.

The dead army is definitely in the book, as is Gollum dropping from the mountain and coming back at the end, so that did NOT disappoint me.

Also, at the end, a lot of people went away, they thought it dragged to long. I don't agree. When you consider this a 3 hour film, then the end (30 minutes?) to be a bit long, but when you consider this one huge nine hour film (which it essentially is), the ending was marvellous, and very emotional to boot.

During those last 30 minutes you could clearly separate the people who were there for the spectacle from those who were there for the story. I'm part of the latter.

Cheers, Martin :D

Wha?? People left before it had finished!!! Crazy Fools!!!

Well, i guess you can only hold it soooo long after all!! :D

Phil

Saw it yesterday. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. I have no reservations about the movie(s). The battle scenes were exhilerating, The Oliphants magnificent. If you do not suffer from arachnophobia, there is a good chance you will, after meeting Shelop.

The best part, and what I have been curious to see all along, is how Strider turned into King Elessar. The transformation of the time and ware worn Strider into a omnipotent and benevolent King. They did that superbly. Aragorn - Viggo Mortensen - took upon himself the responsibility and power of being King in the most awesome way.

Oh, and I cried in the end. Didn't you?

Must see it again

Hobitten

Managed to avoid crying, though only by a HUGE effort, as I didn't want to lose my contact lenses, which would have left me unable to see the film and would probably have led to me getting run over the minute I stepped out of the cinema! It was a close call, though. :)

Saw it on Christmas Day, Giant Screen-style. Very, very impressive. I would be really into it, and then all of a sudden think, OMG, this scene cost millions of dollars, I can't believe someone gave this much money to an unproven director.

I cried for most of the last hour, my husband the arachnophobe managed not to freak out during the spider bit, but as we were leaving two grown men were having a shouting match over one of the men's children talking throughout the entire movie. It was bizarre.

I've heard rumours about 'The Hobbit' being turned into a film. Not sure, though...

Cheers, Martin :D

I saw an interview with PJ the other day. He would mind doing The Hobbit, but apparently they need to negotiate film rights first.
New Line Cinema does not own the right to The Hobbit.

PJ said, that he would find it strange if someone else did it.

Hobitten

Back