• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Snatchers by Eugen M. Bacon

How Would You Rate this Piece?

• Not Sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Room for Improvement

• Seen Better

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Interesting

• Brilliant Piece

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Good action, very well done! The change in perspective from Art to Sherrie was a little abrupt, though.

ds

bang to sub...

Appreciate, ds. Critiques improve my work, always. Never had a first shot that ran perfect. Guess we love our babies too much, burps come invicible, huh?

Looked for you on showcase so I could see your work. Zip. How come?

direstraits said:
You got it. But you've never seen mine yet - it's a thousand times worse than yours. :)

ds

Hi Eugen Interesting story, descriptive and reads well. I particularly liked the end twist but think that could be a little sharper as it is meant to hit you. But that is just my opinion. If you changed it everytime someone made a suggestion it would never be your own. :)

Great thought, Nighthawk. It probably would end better without the last two sentences; ... and closed his eyes reads tighter. El Diablo was a stab I couldn't resist - indulging my whim. Naughty. Guess what? Off it goes!

nighthawk said:
Hi Eugen Interesting story, descriptive and reads well. I particularly liked the end twist but think that could be a little sharper as it is meant to hit you. But that is just my opinion. If you changed it everytime someone made a suggestion it would never be your own. :)

Eugen said:
Looked for you on showcase so I could see your work. Zip. How come?
Aw shucks... I haven't completed it yet. I've been wanting to post a little piece here for a while already and let everyone point out the stuff that's wrong with it. But Real Life keeps intruding.

Not yet though. I write a lot of crap, but let me build a reasonable body of work/crap before I let you see it... :)

ds

Eugen said:
Great thought, Nighthawk. It probably would end better without the last two sentences; ... and closed his eyes reads tighter. El Diablo was a stab I couldn't resist - indulging my whim. Naughty. Guess what? Off it goes!
I like the idea behind the last 2 lines. How about something like:

He ripped it open. A godawful stench filled the air. "Aww, CRAP!"

Or still too self-indulgent? :)

I liked the fight sequence with Sherrie - though I think you could have made her reaction/actions even more vicious. If that were me and my baby, I'd have been a lot more outraged and vicious. Have you heard the saying, "You'd kill for your husband, but you'd die for your child"?

Liked it overall.

"Sherrie Porter wheeled a purple Graco pram...A beautiful moon lit her path"
A lone woman with a baby in a park at nighttime is unrealistic. It detracts from the realism of other events in the story.

Ell said:
I like the idea behind the last 2 lines. How about something like:

He ripped it open. A godawful stench filled the air. "Aww, CRAP!"

Or still too self-indulgent? :)

I liked the fight sequence with Sherrie - though I think you could have made her reaction/actions even more vicious. If that were me and my baby, I'd have been a lot more outraged and vicious. Have you heard the saying, "You'd kill for your husband, but you'd die for your child"?

Liked it overall.

Ell: 'Aww, CRAP!' is absolutely fab. Self-indulgent but by god, fab. Posting update shortly. If I added more action/ reaction to Sherry, however, it would border on melodrama, methinks.

Occlith: Now there's a thought. Was a bit dim (a bit romantic, maybe) to have her stroll in a dangerous park with a bambini by moonlight. Verisimilitude is very important.

Ds: darn it! Get that work out! Never be afraid of critiques; they might be your best friends.

At this rate, I'll end with: And Jack the giant-slayer climbed down the stalk.

Keep them coming!

Back