• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Sword and the Shield

Scottishduffy

I just finished this book and must say I truly enjoyed it. As someone who is a bit of a history buff, this book was just fascinating. It deals with the history of the KGB from 1918 to 1992. The books main focus is on the action of the soviets against 'ideological dissidents', but also deals with the KGB's actions in Britain, America, Italy, Chzechosolavkia, France, Germany and Hungary. It reads like a textbook and is extremely dense in details, but is just so fascinating that it is truly enjoyable. It is extremely interesting in describing Stalin's great terror, the psychiatric abuse of dissidents, and the gulags.

In early 1992, a Russian man walked into the British embassy in a newly independent Baltic republic and asked to "speak to someone in authority." As he sipped his first cup of proper English tea, he handed over a small file of notes. Eight months later, the man, his family, and his enormous archive had been safely exfiltrated to Britain. When news that a KGB officer had defected with the names of hundreds of undercover agents leaked out in 1996, a spokesperson for the SVR (Russia's foreign intelligence service, heir of the KGB) said, "Hundreds of people! That just doesn't happen! Any defector could get the name of one, two, perhaps three agents--but not hundreds!"
Vasili Nikitich Mitrokhin worked as chief archivist for the FCD, the foreign-intelligence arm of the KGB. Mitrokhin was responsible for checking and sealing approximately 300,000 files, allowing him unrestricted access to one of the world's most closely guarded archives. He had lost faith in the Soviet system over the years, and was especially disturbed by the KGB's systematic silencing of dissidents at home and abroad. Faced with tough choices--stay silent, resign, or undermine the system from within--Mitrokhin decided to compile a record of the foreign operations of the KGB. Every day for 12 years, he smuggled notes out of the archive. He started by hiding scraps of paper covered with miniscule handwriting in his shoes, but later wrote notes on ordinary office paper, which he took home in his pockets. He hid the notes under his mattress, and on weekends took them to his dacha, where he typed them and hid them in containers buried under the floor. When he escaped to Britain, his archive contained tens of thousands of pages of notes.

Anyone else read this one?

Scottishduffy said:
I just finished this book and must say I truly enjoyed it. As someone who is a bit of a history buff, this book was just fascinating. It deals with the history of the KGB from 1918 to 1992. The books main focus is on the action of the soviets against 'ideological dissidents', but also deals with the KGB's actions in Britain, America, Italy, Chzechosolavkia, France, Germany and Hungary. It reads like a textbook and is extremely dense in details, but is just so fascinating that it is truly enjoyable. It is extremely interesting in describing Stalin's great terror, the psychiatric abuse of dissidents, and the gulags.

Anyone else read this one?

Haven't read it, but I see I need to add it to my list! Sounds fascinating.

Back