• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind

Ok, if I start reading Terry Goodkind do I need to start with his first book or can I junp in with his latest.

Well if you really want to read a sub-par series, I defintely recommend starting the series with it's first book, Wizard's First Rule, as it is IMHO his best book anyway.

Kookamoor said:
BTW, ds - I picked up Guy Gavriel Kay's The Summer Tree from the library today. You gave me the suggestion a while back - I'll let you know how I get on!
I've not read his Fionavar Tapestry (of which your book is the first) because I'm missing the second book in the collection (I've got 1 and 3). I know I'll want to read it in a stretch, so no point starting with the gaping hole in the middle.

Having said that, I've read everything else by him except Fionavar and Last Light of the Sun (his latest), and I think I can safely say you probably won't regret it. :)

ds

Ainulindale said:
Well if you really want to read a sub-par series, I defintely recommend starting the series with it's first book, Wizard's First Rule, as it is IMHO his best book anyway.
Do I understand it that perhaps I should look for an author other than Terry Goodkind? Suggestions, please.

Do I understand it that perhaps I should look for an author other than Terry Goodkind? Suggestions, please.

By no means am I saying that, afterall people do have different tastes. There are some (albeit much to my never ending surprise) who actually like Goodkind, he is a best selling authors (whatever that's worth). I merely replied to tell you I would recommend reading Wizard's First Rule first, for 2 reasons, one it's hsi best book, and two for plot reasons.

Just for me personally I don't consider the series amongst the best 200 or perhaps even 300 works, for reasons stated prior in this thread.

muggle - I can't understand starting a fantasy series in the middle - EVER! Is this a whole new topic for a new thread? Yes, I believe it is! But I think you ought to try Wizards First Rule. People are at different poles about the author and the way the series is headed, but most seem to agree that the first book was pretty good (trying to be neautral here!!!). If you don't like it, there's a thread in here somewhere which outlines some recommended series' for fantasy newbies. Not sure how much fantasy you've read, but I think it's a pretty good list either way.

Personally, I'd like you to read Wizards First Rule so we can see what you thought of it! Especially amidst such conjection to Mr Goodkind's quality/originality/arrogance (I don't think the last point is really debatable - he's an idiot! But I like his stories :) ).

If Wizards 1st Rule is his best, I shudder to think how bad the rest of the series was. Never made it past book 1 - I still wake in the dead of night in a cold sweat dreaming I am trying to read Goodkind. The horror! The horror!

Ainulindale said:
By no means am I saying that, afterall people do have different tastes. There are some (albeit much to my never ending surprise) who actually like Goodkind, he is a best selling authors (whatever that's worth). I merely replied to tell you I would recommend reading Wizard's First Rule first, for 2 reasons, one it's hsi best book, and two for plot reasons.

Just for me personally I don't consider the series amongst the best 200 or perhaps even 300 works, for reasons stated prior in this thread.
Thanks Ainulindale. I asked an innocent question and YOU gave me an honest answer. I believe though that I will pass on Goodkind. I have 5 books from Pratchett on my bookshelf that I haven't read yet. I like to keep a few Pratchett books avcailable so that I always have something available between other readings.....and don't anyone take this the wrong way. Pratchett is one of my favorite authors.

Was my answer not honest, muggle? :confused:

Hopefully I'm just misinterpretting the emphasis of your post... Feel free to post or PM me if I have offended - it was never my intention.... :confused:

Kookamoor said:
muggle -
Personally, I'd like you to read Wizards First Rule so we can see what you thought of it! Especially amidst such conjection to Mr Goodkind's quality/originality/arrogance (I don't think the last point is really debatable - he's an idiot! But I like his stories :) ).
Ok, you have convinced me to give it a try and I will let you know what I thought of Goodkind compared to some others that I have read like Modesitt (really like him) and Jordan. First though I have to finish a couple of my Pratchett books. Have patience with me. :)

muggle said:
Ok, you have convinced me to give it a try and I will let you know what I thought of Goodkind compared to some others that I have read like Modesitt (really like him) and Jordan. First though I have to finish a couple of my Pratchett books. Have patience with me. :)

Great! I can't wait to hear your thoughts! :)

I personally think it's time for Goodkind to move onto something else. Surely this series isnt the only thing he is cable of writing.

muggle said:
Hmmm, I finally finished Wizards First Rule. Opinion to follow in near future. :)
The Wizards First Rule was a difficult book for me to form an opinion on whether I will continue with the series or stop. Did I enjoy the book, yes and no. I enjoy sci-fi / fantasy stories and indeed enjoyed this tale. However, I was put off a little by Goodkind's tendency toward the "sadistic" theme. I did not enjoy his description of giving the little boy a molten lead dinner and thought that he could have written something else in place of it. I also got a little tired of the constant torture chambers towards the end of the book and think it was way overdone.

However, I did enjoy the story and will probably go on to book number 2 in the series, but am not sure yet. This is not a cop-out but I simply haven't made up my mind yet and will wait a bit and see what happens.

btw, for lovers of fantasy books I really recommend the last 2 books by L.E. Modesitt. Although there are 12 or 13 books in his "Saga of Recluse" series these 2 can be read without going back and reading the others first. However, you do need to read these 2 in order....first "Wellspring of Chaos" and then "Ordermaster". These books will make you "feel good" upon finishing them. I came to love one of the characters in these 2 books and believe you will too. :)

muggle said:
However, I was put off a little by Goodkind's tendency toward the "sadistic" theme. I did not enjoy his description of giving the little boy a molten lead dinner and thought that he could have written something else in place of it. I also got a little tired of the constant torture chambers towards the end of the book and think it was way overdone.

Very true. I also find that he does go a little overboard in the graphic details. If such graphic details were uncomfortable for you I would probably not recommend the rest of the series to you. There is also a fair bit of detail in the sex scenes in the next few books, and there are some rather violent and sadistic elements that come in there too.

I never really thought about this series in terms of its violence and occasionally perverted nature. I must say, it casts it in a whole new light for me. In retrospect, having read this series a number of times (every time he brought out a new book, pretty much), I can recall many scenes where more violence was described than was necessary for a plot device. It never really stood out at the time of reading it, though, maybe because it was intersperced with other scenes. Over the course of many re-reads, though, I have become desensitised to it, I think.

Interesting perspective, muggle.

Kookamoor, next time you are looking for something to read please try the 2 books that I recommended by Modesitt. You will fall in love with the one character in the stories. When I finished "Wellspring of Chaos" I could hardly wait for the next book (Ordermaster).

They're on my list now, muggle - slightly cramped between 'The Shadow of Ararat' and 'Eva Luna' in the middle of the February 17th page of my Agenda, which is where my 'known' TBR list is currently sitting (there's another one in my head). I think I need to start a new page!

Of course, I will have to start at the very beginning of Modesitt's series, you realise :D I'll let you know how I like 'em once I get there!!

Ah, Terry Goodkind. One of my 'obsessions' (I've had a fair few)

I picked up Goodkind (Temple of the Winds--book 4 in the series) because it had a pretty cover. I have to say, from the first sentence of Totw "Let me kill him" I was hooked. Then I read the rest of the series and I bought Chainfire on the day of its release. Goodkind can be quite bad, but he's always readable.

Because he is a fantasy author whose writings are (god forbid) character-based, liking his books rests upon you liking his characters. When I was an idealistic 14-year old, I did think Richard was cool cos he had Subtractive and Additive magic and I had a near-unholy fascination with Mord-Sith. I kept on going on about them in my lessons and teachers thought I was odd.

What I like about Goodkind is the fact that his characters are interesting. They can get annoying, but they're very intelligent people. I felt like I was learning something new when I was reading about them. I can predict what's going to happen in books well, but in Goodkind I was very surprised, even when I read the books in the wrong order! He manages to inspire feelings in readers, and that's what I like. I often read fantasy and I enjoy the premise, I enjoy the story but at the end I feel oddly unattached to the whole thing. I don't invest emotionally into the characters, but with Goodkind, I do.

Wizard's First Rule is good, but I personally prefer Faith of the Fallen. Sheer fantasy amazingness. Kahlan is just so ruthless and smart, she's amazing. Richard is at his most capable and idealistic and Cara is at her most quirky. Just so cool.

Kookamoor said:
They're on my list now, muggle - slightly cramped between 'The Shadow of Ararat' and 'Eva Luna' in the middle of the February 17th page of my Agenda, which is where my 'known' TBR list is currently sitting (there's another one in my head). I think I need to start a new page!

Of course, I will have to start at the very beginning of Modesitt's series, you realise :D I'll let you know how I like 'em once I get there!!
Please excuse me as this post by me probably does not belong in a Terry Goodkind topic. However :),

I read Daughter of Fortune and Portrait in Sepia by Isabel Allende and enjoyed both books, have not read Eva Luna. Isabel Allende is one heck of an interesting person. I had the pleasure of attending "An Evening With Isabel Allende" in Old Cabell Hall at the Univ. of Virginia. She told stories that made the whole evening pretty darn enjoyable. One story she told was of a traveling adventure that she and her daughter took, prior to her daughter's unfortunate death. They were in Sweden and she stopped in a shop and bought some sex toys to use in her research. Upon arriving in Chile the inspectors at the airport opened the package containing them.....she immediately pointed at her daughter and said; "THEY BELONG TO HER".

You are probably aware that she was raised by the maids in the household and had very little contact with her father, the President of Chile.

Wow, I never knew about that. Hey, can you start a new thread about her, muggle? I'd like to hear what other people know too! Sounds like a neat background before I read her books.

Back