• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The top 5 stolen books

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=520472

The top 5 stolen books

1. Charles Bukowski
2. Jim Thompson
3. Philip K. Dick
4. William S. Burroughs
5. Any Graphic Novel

...Most used bookstores try to avoid buying unread-looking books from the list above, but they do always sell, and so any crook who figures out how to roll a spine can turn a profit pretty easily. The list of popular books is surprisingly static, although newer artists have earned their place in the pantheon with Hunter S. Thompson and the Beats: Palahniuk, Murakami, and Danielewski have become hugely popular antisellers in the last five years. I've had hundreds of dollars of graphic novels -- Sandman, Preacher, The Dark Knight Returns -- lifted from right under my nose all at once. Science fiction and fantasy are high in demand, too: The coin of the realm is now, and has always been, the fiction that young white men read, and self-satisfied young white men, the kind who love to stick it to the man, are the majority of book shoplifters.

I think the author of that article was speaking about his own bookstore or smaller independently owned bookstores.
Is there any list of most frequently stolen books from large chain booksellers? :confused:

At my B&N over the holidays, a whole row of graphic novels was stolen. It was sad to see that section look so bare. The bookseller who is "in charge" of that section was a no-show that day.

To you British;
The Natural Philosophy from Isaac Newton isn't from Newton in fact, but he stole it from Sina Kirmasher, great Persian Physics master who wrote the gravitation law all of the three two hundred years before that Newton had stolen it from him. I think Newton wasn't sir, I think he was nothing, yeah, a big nothing.

To you British;
The Natural Philosophy from Isaac Newton isn't from Newton in fact, but he stole it from Sina Kirmasher, great Persian Physics master who wrote the gravitation law all of the three two hundred years before that Newton had stolen it from him. I think Newton wasn't sir, I think he was nothing, yeah, a big nothing.

Did you spell that name correctly? Unless there is a massive conspiracy that involves Google and Yahoo, there is no "Sina Kirmasher" references on the intertubes.

It's good to know that some people still find books worthy enough to steal.

So you walk into B&N with an empty backpack and walk out with a full one? Really, how do they do get them out? Stuff them down the front of their pants? Fake a pregnant belly? Just wondering ....

Sina Kirmasher... well, his surname maybe different but it was like that as I guess. And you're right, I searched it and saw no name like that. But maybe it's pronunced like KIRMASHER but not in English, the language of both Google and Yahoo!

So you walk into B&N with an empty backpack and walk out with a full one? Really, how do they do get them out? Stuff them down the front of their pants? Fake a pregnant belly? Just wondering ....

Easy: use a Faraday cage.

It's a good thing I'm not criminally inclined.

Sina Kirmasher... well, his surname maybe different but it was like that as I guess. And you're right, I searched it and saw no name like that. But maybe it's pronunced like KIRMASHER but not in English, the language of both Google and Yahoo!

I searched and searched and found zero evidence of Newton's hilosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica being plagiarized. I'm not going to deny that the Islamic Arab Empire made great contributions to mathematics but I'm not finding anything that points to them developing gravitation theory first. In fact, I found the opposite. So, unless you show us some real evidence, I'm going to have to call bullshit on your story.

Az molaaghaat baa shomaa khoshvaghtam.
I said Persian, I didn't mean Arabs! I hate Arabians because they genocided us Persians for times wildly. I think the farest people from the culture in the world is Arabians.
Secondly, I said I'll find the name and say you, brother.
Thrdly, I'm not Muslim. Persians aren't Muslim, they're just pretending in order to the politics. Persians have never been Muslim.

Az molaaghaat baa shomaa khoshvaghtam.
I said Persian, I didn't mean Arabs! I hate Arabians because they genocided us Persians for times wildly. I think the farest people from the culture in the world is Arabians.
Secondly, I said I'll find the name and say you, brother.
Thrdly, I'm not Muslim. Persians aren't Muslim, they're just pretending in order to the politics. Persians have never been Muslim.

The Islamic Arab Empire contained many countries and cultures (as did the British Empire and Roman Empire and Ottoman Empire and other empires) of which Persians were one of. The golden age of math and science during 700AD-1200AD (roughly) would have been the time you are talking about and that's the time and place of the Islamic Arab Empire. While Europeans were picking fleas off of their clothes, the Islamic Arab Empire was making amazing contributions to science and math. All I'm saying is that your previous statement I can't find any support of.

I don't care what religion you are and certainly I don't care what ethnicity you are. I just want you to explain what you have said so I can understand.

I live in Seattle where the article about the most stolen books was written. Our Barnes & Noble stores keep the listed authors behind the help desk. It makes perfect sense that books about sex, drugs, drinking, fighting, life of crime, are the most stolen books.

I live in Seattle where the article about the most stolen books was written. Our Barnes & Noble stores keep the listed authors behind the help desk. It makes perfect sense that books about sex, drugs, drinking, fighting, life of crime, are the most stolen books.

How does that make sense and how does that relate to PK Dick?

Oh, yea, forgot to mention how PKD fits in. From the article,

"The coin of the realm is now, and has always been, the fiction that young white men read, and self-satisfied young white men, the kind who love to stick it to the man, are the majority of book shoplifters."

The Islamic Arab Empire contained many countries and cultures (as did the British Empire and Roman Empire and Ottoman Empire and other empires) of which Persians were one of. The golden age of math and science during 700AD-1200AD (roughly) would have been the time you are talking about and that's the time and place of the Islamic Arab Empire. While Europeans were picking fleas off of their clothes, the Islamic Arab Empire was making amazing contributions to science and math. All I'm saying is that your previous statement I can't find any support of.

I don't care what religion you are and certainly I don't care what ethnicity you are. I just want you to explain what you have said so I can understand.
As I see since we met each other in this forum, we're fagging each other. Can you please be a little kind against people. You don't care about my ethnicity, I see that and I dare to express that I care about yours. Can I ask WHO you are? What's your nationality? Where are you getting this energy from to try to fag at me?

As I see since we met each other in this forum, we're fagging each other. Can you please be a little kind against people. You don't care about my ethnicity, I see that and I dare to express that I care about yours. Can I ask WHO you are? What's your nationality? Where are you getting this energy from to try to fag at me?

You misinterpret me. I am not hating on you. You seem to think I don't like you because you're Iranian/Persian/whatever. I'm saying that I am indifferent to your ethnicity and religious background because I feel it's not important to the context of this forum.

Oh, man. I saw your profile and I respect you because you're 19 years older than me. And you're Engineer. Close to my occupation: programmer. I write in Perl, Java, Visual Basic and C#. And you're doing a lot of complicated with the electricity something. Thanks, uncle.

To you British;

Wow, wow, wow, easy on Newton!

We all own him so much!

There are some discoveries that at times are being re-discovered, but easy on gravitation! It includes the second derivative (acceleration=second time derivative of space). So here no persian or arabic were anywhere around. It was simply too early.

If one argues on originality of Newton's work, makes more sence to question him vs. Leibniz- they had a calculus issue between them two (which would include the gravitation issue, as it closely bounded to calculus when one describes that mathematically.)

The waveguide, you're adding oil into the fire! Don't do that! You tryin' to say calculus was hard, ey? Oh, mine. I got afraid! What's your pretty problem? Three hundred twenty years between than Nwtn, lbnz, there was a Nasireddin Tusi (you see? Born in Tus, shown in his surname, Tus is in Iran) was doing calculus on non-linear places like sphere. On sphere, no surface actually, but it's infinitely close to be surface. I was in Iran's IMO team, man, I'm Mathematics master. Who were nwtn+lbnz ?

Back