• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Witch of Endor

Sitaram

kickbox
SFG75 has posted here

http://www.bookandreader.com/forums/showthread.php?p=212919#post212919

regarding children's books on Halloween.

I made one post there regarding Nietzsche and the "Will to Power" (ghosts are powerful in one sense.)

I wanted to mention the "Witch of Endor" episode in the Old Testament (Bible), in the first Book of Samuel, chapter 28:4–25

King Saul has passed a decree forbidding witches and soothsayers to practice.

Yet, Saul desires to consult with the departed spirit of the Prophet Samuel.

So, Saul DISGUISES himself (hey, Halloween costumes), and comes to the Witch of Endor, with his request to raise the spirit of Samuel.

The Witch answers that the King (hee hee, she does not recognize Saul), has forbidden the practice of witchcraft, necromancy, and the like.

Saul tells her not to worry, but just do it.

When the spirit of Samuel appears, the witch lets out a SHREIK! We are not told in the Bible WHY she screams. Talmudic speculation suggests that the spirits who were conjured were actually demons, and appeared upside down, but she screamed because the spirit of Samuel appeared RIGHT-SIDE-UP.

I shall google for more details on this spooky Biblical trick-or-treat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_of_Endor

http://www.newadvent.org/bible/1sa028.htm

Interesting post and commentary Sitaram, thank you for posting about it. I knew of this story, though in a rather sketchy way. In re-reading the story, it's interesting to note that before seeing the witch, Saul is "tuned out" by God. Saul attempts to "change the channel" and do an end around in order to figure out what in the world is going on. That seems like a logical step and it woudl be something that any and all of us would do. Who wouldn't want to use every means available to find out what was going on if they found themsevles to be "out of the loop" so to speak? The witch comes off as a rather neutral figure in all of this. Saul still comes out bad even as a marginalized man of God for tricking her and for being called on it by the witch.

There are more than a few instances where this kind of activity is at least called upon. The most amusing instance is where the priests of Baal are encouraged to keep wounding themselves nad one another in order to invoke a sign from their deity(i.e.-setting a sacrificed bullock aflame on the pyre) It's not working and the prophets of God laughingly/yet half seriously, ask them to continue. It's one of the most amusing parts I've ever read. Can't remember the verse or book it's from.

Interesting post and commentary Sitaram, The most amusing instance is where the priests of Baal are encouraged to keep wounding themselves nad one another in order to invoke a sign from their deity(i.e.-setting a sacrificed bullock aflame on the pyre) It's not working and the prophets of God laughingly/yet half seriously, ask them to continue. It's one of the most amusing parts I've ever read. Can't remember the verse or book it's from.

I think I know the passage to which you refer, in 1st KINGS Chapter 18.

Here is one paraphrased account:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article.asp?AID=111833

At Mount Carmel. Now Jezebel had 850 "prophets" of the Baal who enjoyed her protection and hospitality. These were now gathered by Mount Carmel, together with the great masses of the Jewish people. King Ahab was there, too, to witness the proceedings.

When all were gathered, Elijah addressed the people of Israel: "How long will you waver between two opinions? You worship the idols, but when you are in trouble you turn to G-d. There can be no two truths. If you recognize G-d's might, why don't you remain loyal to Him? But if you believe in the Baal, let the Baal help you now!"

Not a voice rose to dispute with Elijah. Elijah then proceeded: "Look! Here I am alone, the only true prophet of G-d, facing the 850 so-called "prophets" of the Baal. Where the truth is concerned, however, it's not a question to be decided by the majority. G-d himself will prove it to you! And here is the test. Let two bullocks be brought. Let one be offered by the priests of the Baal to their god, and I shall offer the other to the G-d of Israel, the creator of the world. We shall set no fire to the wood. They shall pray to the Baal to send a fire and accept the sacrifice, and I will pray to G-d to send a fire. The one who answers will be recognized as the true G-d."

All the assembled people voiced their agreement, and two bullocks were brought at once. They were twins and absolutely identical in size and appearance. Lots were cast, and Elijah led away his bullock. As the Baal-prophets tried to lead their bullock away, the bullock didn't budge. The false prophets tried to pull the bullock but could not move him. Then Elijah came up to the bullock and said to him: "Go with them, and let them have no excuse. For just as your brother will bring a santification of G-d's name, so will you also prove the falsity of the Baal." Only then did the bullock follow the Baal-priests.

The Baal 'prophets' and priests slew their bullock and offered it to the Baal as a sacrifice. They prayed for fire from morning to noon; but, of course, nothing happened. Then Elijah said to them mockingly: "Cry aloud: may be your god is having a busy conversation, or may be he is away on a journey? Perhaps he is asleep? Cry hard, wake him up!" The false prophets cried for all their worth, leaped about their altar, cut themselves after their manner with knives and lancets until their blood gushed out upon them. But still nothing happened, and they gave it up, thoroughly exhausted.

The Lord He is G-d. Then Elijah called to the people to come closer and watch him. He gathered twelve stones, one for each of the twelve tribes, and erected an altar to G-d. He ordered that a trench be dug around the altar and filled with water. He poured water upon the sacrifice and upon the wood, until it was drenched. Then he uttered a short prayer:

"O Lord, G-d of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, let it be known this day that Thou art G-d in Israel, and that I, Thy servant, have done these things at Thy word. Answer me, O Lord, answer me!"

No sooner did Elijah conclude his prayer than G-d sent down a fire from heaven that consumed the sacrifice, the wood, the stones, the earth around and the water of the trench!

In great awe all the people fell on their faces and cried out: "The Lord, He is G-d! The Lord, He is G-d!"

The people then seized the false prophets and executed them. At once there appeared a little cloud in the sky, the size of a man's hand. It grew very fast and a few minutes later the sky was black with clouds. The long-awaited rain came down in torrents.

th_crylaugh.gif

"Cry aloud: may be your god is having a busy conversation, or may be he is away on a journey? Perhaps he is asleep? Cry hard, wake him up!"

verse 28
And they cried aloud, and cut themselves after their manner with knives and lancets, till the blood gushed out upon them.

Gotta love that BCE humor.:D

Back