• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The word "****" on a t-shirt - freedom of speech?

Motokid

Recently, in America, a woman was kicked off a commercial airplane flight for wearing a t-shirt with a profanity on it. The shirt said "Meet The Fuckers" which was a play on words for the hit movie "Meet The Fockers", and under the title was a picture of President Bush, Vice P. Dick C., and Condie Rice.

The lady was asked to either cover the t-shirt, or turn it inside out, or remove it, or leave the plane. The lady decided to make a statement about freedom of speech, and freedom of expression, so she chose to leave the plane. Of coarse, this being America, she is now considering legal action against the airline. The airline is stating that regardless of the targeting of the Pres and Vice-Pres....it's the word "****" that was the problem.

Should anybody be able to wear clothing that displays "offensive" language anywhere they wish...or is there a time when businesses have to right to refuse service for wearing such clothing?

Where, in public is it acceptable to wear a piece of clothing with the word "****" prominantly displayed?

Is the word "****" covered by freedom of speech when printed on a t-shirt?

well, for one thing, if the woman was going to be sitting down most of the time and not parading up and down the aisles, what's the problem?

Freedom of speech

So she chose to leave the plane. Did she get the next flight still wearing the t shirt or did she walk home.
Should the Playboy logo be banned from childrens cloths....or is this still freedom of speech?

With freedom comes responsiblity. I do not believe the founding fathers ever deamed the extent future generations would stretch the idea of freedom of speech. The airline was did not ban the woman from the flight, only from wearing the offensive logo where it would be in view of other passengers, some children. I realize that most people, even kids, are familiar with the term on this shirt, but it is still offensive. Regardless of one's political views, the shirt was meant to offend and draw attention to the wearer. Well, now she's getting her allocated 15 minutes. Personally, I'd rather get mine for something good and decent.

I am an opened minded person!
So what anyone has printed on there clothes is there business!

As for playboy logos i wear that brand of clothes myself and so do my girls!
I dont find it offensive at all!

ruby said:
I am an opened minded person!
So what anyone has printed on there clothes is there business!

As for playboy logos i wear that brand of clothes myself and so do my girls!
I dont find it offensive at all!

So, you wouldn't mind if I paid you and your girls a visit for tea while wearing a t-shirt with a picture of an erect penis on it?

cajunmama said:
So, you wouldn't mind if I paid you and your girls a visit for tea while wearing a t-shirt with a picture of an erect penis on it?

I wouldnt mind as i said i am opened minded!:)
But as for my girls seeing a picture on your t.shirt of a penis!
They would like you strange!
There a bit young as yet!

Free speech? Absolutely!
Just like burning the American Flag -- free, protected, "symbolic speech!"
Is one allowed free speech "anywhere"? Probably yes, with stated exceptions that it will take an army of lawyers to fight over and tell us what they think.
What I think makes no difference, ever since the word came into the language some years back. It had to get to this point.
Resigned, in NY :rolleyes:
Peder

Ruby, how would you answer the question of "Mummy, what is that on her shirt?"

Peder, free speech anywhere? Afraid not. For example, you cannot yell "FIRE!!" in a crowded theater and claim that as free speech.

Back to moto's question. Yes, it is covered under free speech, but it is still of poor taste. :rolleyes:

moonshot said:
So she chose to leave the plane. Did she get the next flight still wearing the t shirt or did she walk home.
Should the Playboy logo be banned from childrens cloths....or is this still freedom of speech?

Just asked my 14 yr old daughter about what she likes of the playboy logo!

Its fashion she said!

She is one of them kids who likes branded named clothes!

cajunmama said:
Ruby, how would you answer the question of "Mummy, what is that on her shirt?"

Peder, free speech anywhere? Afraid not. For example, you cannot yell "FIRE!!" in a crowded theater and claim that as free speech.

Back to moto's question. Yes, it is covered under free speech, but it is still of poor taste. :rolleyes:

Cajunmama
i would tell her what it was!
I have always been honest and up front with my girls!
I find it works well :)

Wow, when you said your girls were young, I thought much younger than 14. How yould you have answered the question I posed in my last post, if she was 8 or 9?

cajunmama said:

Cajunmama,
That's why I said something like "with stated exceptions," the example you mention being one of the exceptions probably having to do with public safety.

In any event I am glad to see we both believe it is free speech.:)
We pass our civics test for today!
Peder

Branded clothes are fine, but I like to be careful who I advertise for. Specially since I'm not being paid to do so;)

cajunmama said:
Wow, when you said your girls were young, I thought much younger than 14. How yould you have answered the question I posed in my last post, if she was 8 or 9?

There still young kids even though sometimes they think there older! lol

I would still have gave the same answer at the ages you have stated!

Because at that age group they know the difference between what a boy and a girl has!

ruby said:
There still young kids even though sometimes they think there older! lol

I would still have gave the same answer at the ages you have stated!

Because at that age group they know the difference between what a boy and a girl has!
Tell me about it, I swear my 11 year old thinks she's 21! Of course they know the difference, but walking around in public with something so blatantly inflammatory shows poor judgement and a selfish tendency, in my opinion, a disregard for other people.

If the written word fuckers is banned from an airplane like that so should for instance the movie title Meet the Fockers be. That is a play on that exact word if I'm not much mistaken, any child who can read will be able to figure that out by my guess.

So... that airplane company will ask everyone who says **** to wash their mouth with soap or leave the plane? Ot put tape over their mouths so they don't inadvertently say it again? This is simply nitpicking. What about the guys wearing the FBI: Female Body Inspector shirts? Will they too be banned because of impropriety? And what if it's a female wearing such a shirt? Heavens the outrage... (remind me to get one)

I really think this banning of clothing is taking things way too far. If there was a ban on that sort of clothing on the streets of America then the airline could defend banning it from their planes - but as things are? Nah uh. I'm not buying it.

I agree that the woman could wear the shirt on the street and be totally within the law. However, I suppose that many places of business, including stores and restaurants, would have made the same request of the woman though, probably legally. Is there really a legal difference between the street and the inside of a business? And does the inside of an airplane owned and flown by a major airline count as the inside of a business? Tricky.

Back