• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Things to see in Britain?

Also, Glasgow is the place International Mathematics Olympiad 2002 was held in. Kasra Alishahi who is now Iran team observer and former olympiader was almost being Jury.

I don't see Glasgow. Actually, I don't see any of the United Kingdom's places except for London. I loved London Eye a big circle upside and I love the O2 building by the river. As I said before, I very loved the subway.

Did you truly go to Glasgow? Did you see the world's tallest cinema (specifically built to be a cinema)? Did you go to the parks there? Did you see a stabbing (Glasgow is supposedly the stab capital of the world)? Did you see any NEDs (Non-educated delinquents)? Other than that, Greenock and Gourock are short train rides away. Cheap and absolutely beautiful. If you have a car, they're even closer. I highly suggest Greenock and Gourock. I believe Gourock is sometimes called the gate to the highlands.

Yes, why would I lie?:confused: I went to the Barra Market first and was disappointed with that. Mind you it was a dull drizzly day.

Then found hotel and went to the Sauchiehall Street area. Walked down there to see the Willow Tea Rooms. Didn't go in 'cos it wasn't inviting.

Got on one of those tourist buses with open tops. Sat upstairs in the drizzle. Got off at a few museums, some lovely buildings on the outskirts.

I didn't see anyone even remotely fierce looking. The people were friendly and approachable.

I suppose I was hoping to see the rougher side of life - but they've cleaned it up too much.

I notice you're reading Trainspotting. It's the best book ever written.:)

I'm Mehdi. If you're in Britain, then go as wherever you can.

OOh! Touchy. If you are Mehdi why do you write it mehdirza? Look, I didn't mean to diss you. It's just that mendi rolls off the tongue in English. Perhaps Mehdi does in Iranian, but 'tis awkward in mine.:D

Yes, I know I can go whereever. But where? I could drive all day and go somewhere which is almost as bad as where I am now. Worse still I'd be there.

OOh! Touchy. If you are Mehdi why do you write it mehdirza? Look, I didn't mean to diss you. It's just that mendi rolls off the tongue in English. Perhaps Mehdi does in Iranian, but 'tis awkward in mine.:D

Yes, I know I can go whereever. But where? I could drive all day and go somewhere which is almost as bad as where I am now. Worse still I'd be there.

My nick is mehdirza but my name is Mehdi Rza Pouri. If you can say as 'mendi', say. That doesn't make any offense, brother. And Mehdi is not a Persian name, it is an Arabian name so it is awkward for me too to have this name. But thanksGod. Let me say about real Persian name.
Nishapour, Pour, Arash, Sina, Nima, Nushirevan, Shahmaran, Niloufer, Touren, Ekbatan, Dinishvar, Mikaren, Goolzar, Siyavoosh.

And if you want to go a good place, go to Dublin. It is an excellent place.

I'm getting ready to retire and wanting to see as many interesting things in Britain as I can before dropping off my perch.

I've googled for answers, but they are too touristy. Anyone know of any which aren't?

You are lucky... You retire and go traveling...

If I were retiring in Britain, I'd take a book by some English writer whom I like (Dickens?) and would follow to places described in his books.

Or I would do the boating trip up the river Thames, following Jerome K. Jerome - but I guess it is too touristy, to do that, by now - isn't it?

Never been in Britain (besides Heathrow airport - but you should not go THERE, on my advice :D )! You are so lucky!

You are lucky... You retire and go traveling...

If I were retiring in Britain, I'd take a book by some English writer whom I like (Dickens?) and would follow to places described in his books.

Or I would do the boating trip up the river Thames, following Jerome K. Jerome - but I guess it is too touristy, to do that, by now - isn't it?

Never been in Britain (besides Heathrow airport - but you should not go THERE, on my advice :D )! You are so lucky!

I like Dickens too. Unfortunately, I have read only one novel by him; that was Adventures of Oliver Twist and I had read it when I was thirteen. I cried so much when I have first read it so I read it again. It is delicious. But I'm saying again, unfortunately I haven't read any other novel by him.

Right.........As I reside in Britian I'm going to do my best to give you a lowdown on the best things to attend......I have no idea what your interests are but here's what i would recommend.

Obviously London, very touristy but it is a must for any visitor, Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliment, National Gallery, Trafalger Square, Hyde Park etc etc.

Then, get a heller out of there as quicky as possible....

Edinburgh is beautiful, seriously the city will take your breath away, castle view is amazing, stay on the Royal Mile there are some lovely little shops, cafes and restuarants!!!

Make sure you have a day at Cheltenham races, the course plays host to some of the biggest spectacles of the national hunt season, namely the gold cup. Also the little town is beautiful, the promenade and montpellier are full of lovely bars and shops and even boast a beer garden which is delightful to sit in the summer when its nice and hot. The architecture is also lovely.

Erm, where else.....Longleat Safari park and stately home is lovely, also try chatsworth and blenhiem house.

Try and get yourself to badminton horse trials (May) it's not everyones cup fo tea but it's amazing to watch and you get to walk around the grounds of the house, the countryside in gloucestershire is beautiful.

Where else......York is pretty, oh and try and get yourself to the Peak District, a little town called Matlock Bath in Ashbourne is definately worth a visit.

Hope this helps

...stumbled down the main street of old Haworth...

Possibly quite literally - it is STEEP!

But to help answer the OP's original question, please, please don't go to London, Edinburgh and Stratford-upon-Avon and think you have 'done' Britain.

You could bring the book "Neverwhere" with you and do a fantasy-book-tour of London. Another suggest I have is to go to all small towns and villages. Look at a tourist book of the United Kingdom and then avoid all the hot spots. Hit the pub and ask where to go and what to do.

Back