• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Thirteen and a half lives of captain bluebear - Walter Moers

kskyhappy

The girl recommended that i read this title, and i have to say it's a gem. For anybody that enjoys fantastical tales Gullivers travels, Baron Munch.. this could be just the book you're looking for. It's also fantastically illustrated to boot.

The book follows bluebear from his discovery as a tiny cub by the minipirates, his education by a seven brained professor Nightingale, life on a desert composed of Demerara sugar to his triumphs as a congladiator (contestants are judged by telling tall tales)

i recommend this book to the adventuresome reader.

ksky

I've read this book. I loved it. It's a big book of perfect nonsense. They've got A Wild Ride Through The Night in the bookshop too, so I'll probably get round to buying that one of these days.

excellent

coolness, i hoped joining this forum would help me get back up to date!

i shall be searching for that title believe you me!

ksky

You might enjoy The Manglewort by Nagai then. It's a bit on the odd side, but in a similar sort of way to Bluebear. It was tucked away in the sci fi section of Waterstones and looked so lonely that I had to take it home with me. It's only thin, about an evening's read, and it follows the adventures of this little Manglewort as he learns about magic and fights off a dastardly foe.

cheers

thanks litany, i went out and bought " a wild ride through the night", started reading it, the illustrations are jaw dropping, the story isn't half bad either, revolves around Gustav and his attempts to thwart death by completing six tasks in one night, i've probably spent more time enjoying the illustrations than reading the text though!

ksky

Have you read The Borribles? It's not at all in the same style, but it's definitely a book that appeals to big kids that should have grown up years ago but want to go on adventures instead. Well, I liked it anyway. It finally tells the truth about the Wombles.

I still haven't bought Wild Ride, but I will. I just have so many books at the moment, there's no where to put new ones. :( Had to read faster I suppose. I've flicked through and looked at the pictures though, and it is awfully pretty in there.

Waterstones had a 'sea shanties' table recently and Captain BB was on there and looking rather tempting. Unfortunately I was going out that night, Waterstones being the meeting place, and opted for The English Passengers instead, swayed only by the size of the book in comparison and, thus, easier to carry.

I shall bump the Captain back up my list of things to buy now though :)

Mxx

The English Passengers is a good book too. But it doesn't have quite enough nonsense in it to make it as truly great a book as Bluebear. I can't get into most kids books, but I still like a good adventure. Bluebear is just perfect for the adult who never quite got round to growing up. And The Borribles is like Peter Pan only darker and with more Wombles.

Swallows and Amazons is another fine read that I must get round to rereading one of these days.

Warning

please be warned i'm half way through "a wild ride through the night" and the story is appalling. If you enjoyed Blue bear do not be tempted to read this book, the only good thing about it is the illustrations, but they are taken from 19th century engravings, by a book on the works of Dore instead.

ksky

Did he lose his adventure skills then? How woeful. I loved Bluebear. It doesn't seem fair to me. :(

not sure if it's just a bad translation. whearas bluebear is inventive and constantly engaging "wild night" is not as original, and at times reads like pieced together descriptions of the pictures, it has the odd moment but i wouldn't say it gets close to being worth the price of admission. Not sure even children would like it.

i'm gutted :(

ksky

mind you it might be because i read steppenwolf at the same time, and maybe they are not very complimentary reads!

Back