• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

This might be a difficult request

kathe

I am looking for authors that I might enjoy, based upon authors I have already read and love. This might be difficult because my tastes tend to wander all over the place. However, maybe there is a similarity to the authors I will list that someone else might be able to see.

Here are my favorites:

Richard Adams
Paul Auster
Peter S. Beagle
Ray Bradbury
John Crowley
Charles Dickens
Fyodor Doestevsky
Stephen R. Donaldson
Mark Helprin
Robin Hobb
John Irving
Shirley Jackson
Ursula Le Guin
Guy Gavriel Kay
Patricia McKillip
Christopher Moore
Vladimir Nabakov
Jodi Picoult
Tom Robbins
Dan Simmons (but only his sci-fi)
Neal Stephenson
Gene Wolfe

One note: I do like fantasy, but I tend towards single novels rather than series. The rare exceptions are Donaldson and Hobb.

I can tell you authors I don't like at all:

Stephen King
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Terry Pratchett
Octavia Butler
Jane Austen

I would appreciate any ideas and will look into all authors mentioned. :)

Thank you for the response.

Charles De Lint is a good recommendation, but I have already read him. I enjoy his older books, but I am not so fond of the newer ones.

Your other recommendation looks very interesting. I will check that one out.

If you have read Richard Adams' Watership Down, then I suggest David Clement-Davies' Fire Bringer. It is my all time favorite book... ever!! I have not read Watership Down, but I heard that it is similar to it, but with deer.

Hope you like it as much as I do!

Fire Bringer sounds very interesting. I will look into it.

Thank you.

Actually, I am sorry to say after looking at the synopsis of this book, I won't be picking it up, because it sounds suspiciously too much like Watership Down. :sad:

You might enjoy Robert Holdstock's Mythago Wood . It is part of the Ryhope Wood series but I have read just that book by him.

The Stone Arrow by Richard Herley. It is the first book in The Pagans Trilogy - The Flint Lord - The Earth Goddess.

Back