• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Thoughts on translations or the ramblings of a madman

I have been searching Greek Literature for the past week and have noticed even from the titles that they are not translated properly.It is hard ,like the article beergood mentions , to find the right wording to translate it so it can be understood properly. For instance ,the latest book I bought Fool's Gold-Maro Douka the Greek title if I had to translate it would be "The Ancient Rust". I have not read the book yet , maybe when I will, I can understand why they used Fool's Gold instead of the other.

You have to read both books to see if it comes out the same way.

Well, obviously I only read the original if I know the language very well, and I think that at some point I will pick up some great lit in languages I don't know. However, being so young, i want to give myself a chance to learn those languages first before trying translations.

Interestingly enough, I myself am interested in being a translator. Tjaa - any insight or suggestions?

Well... I'm in the start-up period.
I've been doing my training since February 2008, so I'm really at the beginning. Here in Germany you can study translator at universities or private schools.
I am studying it at a private school. It's really fun but also hard to learn all the vocabulary. And it's expensive :(
Don't know what you would like to know... IMO the best way to get to know a language is watching movies, reading (at the beginning easy) books... In Germany you can also buy foreign books with the most difficult words translated. Or, of course, travelling to the country :)

I am currently reading JRR Tolkien's The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún and the introduction had several things to say about translation issues, especially with regards to alliteration, meter, and such. It also reminded me of this thread.

I think The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún is a must read for people that have even a passing interest in the actual task of translations, if just for the introductions in the book.

WOW!!! You all amaze me. I love books from other countries, but since I only speak and read English I will take the translation. I wish I could quote like all of you. Now if it was Sara Teasdale I could do her some justice.

liketoread

Back