• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

To Junie B. or Not to Junie B.?

mehastings

The NYT has an interesting article in their Fashion Section about the Junie B. Jones books. I admit to knowing nothing about them (other than their existence), and was intrigued by the controversy they seem to stir. Anyone out there have experience with these books? What do you think?

While the subject matter of this series is great, I absolutely hate to read these books aloud. I know the stories are written as if a third grader is speaking, but I refuse to read aloud such serious grammatical errors. For one thing, books are supposed to help kids speak and write better, and for another, it's just annoying to try to speak that way on purpose.

I teach 4th grade, and the "Junie B" series are generally read by my "below grade level" readers, almost exclusively female. These books give young readers their first taste of what we call "chapter books" and struggling readers are able to finish them, which makes them feel successful. However, I am going to investigate what the NYT wrote about these books before I make any more comments. I am very curious!

Back