• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tom Clancy

I still haven't been able to get back into Clancy. One big reason is that while Tom Clancey writes about real world possibilities, I'm trying to remove myself from them.

I just finished reading Op-Center: Mirror Image.
It says that it was created by Tom Clancy and Steve Pieczenik.

It was my first Clancy novel and I quite enjoyed it so I'll probably read some more. I thought it was entertaining and it had good character development.
Based on the previous threads, I'll try to read some of his earlier works.

Has anyone read Mirror Image?

Rainbow 6 is also my first and only Clancy thus far. I was never a fan of military fiction, which for the longest time the reason I stayed away from Clancy. I know he isn't military fiction all the way when I picked up Rainbow 6, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

I have Bear and the Dragon in my TBR, and it's a fearsome book that looks heavy enough to break my toes if I happen to drop it.

ds

Oh I just remembered I read his Net Force too... the first one which was published solely under his name (but don't know if he had written it himself). I remember getting all excited because it's written about a field I'm involved in, and looked forward to a rollicking good ride, especially after the lovely Rainbow 6.

It sucked.

ds

I read a lot of the early stuff years ago-Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, etc.) I did buy Ops-Center a few years back but have never read it. Would you guys say the older stuff isn't as good as the early writings? I might read it next. I'm currently on a dry non-fiction book by a senator, so I need something more loose. :D

Tom Clancy: A Retrospective

I just set up a Tom Clancy Yahoo Discussion Group called "Tom Clancy: A Retrospective" that encourages members to read the books in publishing-date order. Here is the order according to Publishing Date:

The Hunt for Red October
Red Storm Rising
Patriot Games
The Cardinal of the Kremlin
Clear and Present Danger
The Sum of All Fears
Without Remorse
Debt of Honor
Executive Orders
SSN
Rainbow Six
The Bear and the Dragon
Red Rabbit
The Teeth of the Tiger

So for those of you who wish to read the novels in the order they were released in print, there you go. Also, if any of you happen to be Clancy fans and wish to check out my Clancy group, here is a link to it:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tom_clancy_retrospective/

It's only a couple of weeks old and only now am I getting around to recruiting members for it. I also need someone to help me run it if anyone is interested.

Swash

The NON-CLANCY Books

To me, even though some of these book series have his name on them they are not LEGITIMATE Clancy novels. He okayed the use of his name on the novels but did not have any other part in designing the story in most cases. Here are some of the non-Clancy series of which I am speaking:

Politika
Op Center
Net Force
(and maybe some others I am forgetting to mention)

Maybe after I finish his ACTUAL novels I may go back and read some of these other written by other writers. But right now, Clancy has my devout attention. But this is only MY humble opinion.

Swash said:
To me, even though some of these book series have his name on them they are not LEGITIMATE Clancy novels. He okayed the use of his name on the novels but did not have any other part in designing the story in most cases. Here are some of the non-Clancy series of which I am speaking:

Politika
Op Center
Net Force

Maybe after I finish his ACTUAL novels I may go back and read some of these other written by other writers. But right now, Clancy has my devout attention. But this is only MY humble opinion.

I hate it when authors do this kind of thing. :mad:

I think it shows what he thinks of his readers, and how seriously he takes his art - though I suspect that to Clancy that word is just an abbreviation for Arthur.

Shade said:
I think it shows what he thinks of his readers, and how seriously he takes his art - though I suspect that to Clancy that word is just an abbreviation for Arthur.

Yes, that was my view as well. I once bought a book that listed Lovecraft as it's author. In an odd way, I felt that it wasn't quite him-and I was right. It turns out that it was actually written by someone else and that he had just started it and this other person had finished it. I didn't read another page of the book after finding that out.

Vanessa2 said:
I just finished reading Op-Center: Mirror Image.
It says that it was created by Tom Clancy and Steve Pieczenik.

It was my first Clancy novel and I quite enjoyed it so I'll probably read some more. I thought it was entertaining and it had good character development.
Based on the previous threads, I'll try to read some of his earlier works.

Has anyone read Mirror Image?

Wow, this is the one that I'm just starting!. I've had it for a few years, though I've been inspired as of late to take up Clancy again. The last one that I read was Patriot Games, so it's been awhile. Should be interesting. :cool:

I haven't picked up Clancy for awhile, but now I'm thinking about rereading Clancy's Without Remorse. I think it's one of his better books, right behind Hunt for Red October and Red Storm Rising.

Quote from Swash

Politika
Op Center
Net Force

Well, since I finished Op-center, I would say it's disappointing to think that I didn't read a Clancy, but I still enjoyed it.
Thanks for posting a list of the books suggested to be read in a certain order.
My next Clancy will be "The Hunt for Red October".

Quote by SFG75
Wow, this is the one that I'm just starting!. I've had it for a few years, though I've been inspired as of late to take up Clancy again. The last one that I read was Patriot Games, so it's been awhile. Should be interesting.
How did you enjoy the book?

How did you enjoy the book?

I commented elsewhere(don't know if it was this particular thread or not) that reading Op-Center; Mirror Image reminded me of why I had read Clancy at all years before. I really like his knowledge of military hardware and how his descriptions of them almost make you feel as if you were there. You could tell that he really did his homework in regards to technological counter-measures and agent assassinations, as his descriptions were not too far off the mark. Even in this 911 world, the book passes the "believability" test in my opinion. There is also an abundance of historical events where Russian leaders attempted a coup, or who at least, were successful at it.

He portrays the Russian characters very well and does a great job of building up to how and why they engaged in the actions that they did. The train scene were the money is on board and the Stryker team assaults the position was perhaps the best action part-I just couldn't put the book down. I really enjoyed the book, I can't say that I was bored in reading it at all. I also enjoyed how the Op-Center heads conversed with one another in an odd arrangement-perhaps one of the better portrayals of rivalry in the entire book.

Robert said:
If your talking about Without Remorse, then Dirk isn't competing with Jack Ryan, he's competing with John Kelly.

Thanks for the FYI-got it corrected. ;)

I'll tell ya what, you won't go wrong if you end up reading Without Remorse. It's a very good book, and a little different then Clancy's Ryan novels.

O.k., was going to go with the Without Remorse book, but I picked up Debt of Honor instead. Right now I'm chewing over a slim book that I should be finishing tomorrow. I hope to start Debt of Honor tomorrow evening. I'm looking forward to this one as Op-Center was very enjoyable. I look over at it and it's just calling my name!. I'll have to finish up the reading after I wake up in the morning.
th_Cofee.jpg

The only Tom Clancy books I have read are:

• Patriot Games
  • The Cardinal of the Kremlin
  • Clear and Present Danger
  • The Sum of All Fears

Back