• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Too many people in college?

SFG75

Charles Murray of The Bell Curve fame has penned an editorial in the Wall Street Journal. Murray's assumption is that right now, at least in America, we have too many people attending college. We have those who are functionally incapable and who should not be there, as well as those who are qualified, but who do not desire to be there. This group would be rather large I believe, kids who are only there because its the logical "next step" in life's progression or through the sheer will of their parents.

Do we have too many people in college?

Why is vocational education looked down upon?

Should we sift more people into the working world?

I like this editorial in that Murray does present an interesting theory. He's one that I don't agree with most of the time, though I'm impressed with how he presents his material. People are not cut from the same mold, but I for one, terribly appreciated my general studies program. I don't care what one does for a living, there is something to be said about an education that helps one to gain a greater appreciation for the finer things in life. Before college, I had no desire to attend plays, music recitals, or anything else like that.

While Murray and othes of his ilk believe that vocational education is good, I'm of the opinion that he and others believe it is good for other people's children, not necessarily their own. Until Paris Hilton learns plumbing, or until Nicole Richie becomes a carpenter, I'll be inclined to believe that his vantage point is one of patronized adulation, rather than sincere reverence for an honest day's work. I have more than a few friends who prefer to work outside and for whom, an associates degree was just fine thank you. It has been my experience that very few people stop learning when they are young. I know of countless folks who have gone back to college to learn more. I don't believe that we should discourage that at all, it appears that Murray believes it should be.

I don't think we should be discouraging people from going to college. There are a lot of people going to college but still a lot that are not going to college, and those who "should not be there" will do poorly and not get the high-level jobs that their more successful classmates will recieve. I see no problem.

Uhh... that's the point:

More people = more profit

They don't give a sh*T if you suceed or not; they just want you to attend, and say "here" on roll call.

My opinion, they should increase the percentage of international students and help them finicially, instead of the exponential increase in fee.

Il admit to starting my uni course as i had no idea what else i wanted to do. I had previously done a HND course - which is 2 years and of no importance at all - and had a year out where i panicked at the real world. I am in my 3rd year of uni and feel that even though i have changed course half way through and that i dont intend on becoming a biologist (i changed from vet nursing to animal biology) i have gained a hell of a lot from being at uni and having to discipine myself.
I will use my degree to some extent. But compared to all the Polish/French students that are at my uni i probably wont use it as much as they will to gain a better job. Funnily enough i want to open a business ie a stables or kennels, which i could have done after my hnd. However i still have a year to go of uni and may be pushed into action to see that i can get a better job.

I htink its quite sad that kids arnt doing apprentice jobs anymore. Skills are being lost because kids want to have the experience of being a student. Not so much the studying but the drinking and social aspect. Kids grow up a lot more slowly these days as they dont get pushed into jobs as they dont need to support themselves.

The WSJ editorial was in reference to Murray's book, "Real Education."

He has a lot of good suggestions regarding vocational/technical training as opposed to liberal education.

I just got my bachelor degree about 7 months ago. A lot of kids don't really care about their grades because they know they are going to get the same degree as someone that studies their ass off and gets straight As if they get Ds and Cs, so they party all the time, blow off class, and half ass their work. They just want to party and make friends. I think college is just the thing to do now, parents and teachers jam it down your throat that you have to go to college when you are growing up, and all your friends tell you how fun it is going to be, so you feel like you have to go even if it really isn't the best thing for you.

I think if you aren't going to study your ass off in college, you shouldn't be there. But, universities don't care if you should be in college or not, they just want your money, so tons of people that shouldn't be there end up being there.

But really, I think the most ridiculous thing about college in America is the cost and the debt it creates for most people, I am thankful I got a full ride.

By the way, mechanics, plumbers, construction workers, nurses, ect., are all making more money than me. :(

That's an interesting point you're making in reference to the article. It's like a double edge sword to me, education can be good, but it can be useless. I know from first hand, Education didn't help me in the real world, it just helped my confidence. I always knew that I was going to be a self starter with things because I have an entrepreneurial spirit, so yeah.....

We do have too many people! It's all a big profit game, though. There is a lot of money in student loans. They're government backed!

Back