• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Top 20 Geek Novels

direstraits

An interesting list is up on Guardian on the Top 20 Geek Novels.

I'm not sure I agree with this list - not with the actual list itself, but with the number of correspondences who did vote.

How many of that have you read?

ds

I read 1. #1 in fact. 2, 3 and 6 are on my TBR list. 17 maybe.

Edit: I have compiled my own kernel before though. Does that count?

I've read seven of them, which should make me 35% geeky. However, I'm going to request an appeal based on the fact that all but one of them were assignments for High School or College.

I've read 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 11.

I've read seven (all in the top ten), but I already knew there was a bit of geekiness about me. Now I have a number to put with it.

6 - also all in the top 10. I don't think there are many people who like SF/F who haven't read Hitchikers or someting by Asimov. 1984 is also common in some school curriculums :)

I've read 7 and a half of them, but own 13. Not a geek, not yet a non-geek. :D

You guys read 1984 in school? I would think that's cool - I remember the only 2 things we read were To Kill a Mockingbird and Lord of the Flies.

ds

I've read the top two - Nineteen Eighty Four and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I find the list is a little biased towards sci-fi, personally. There's a lot of fantasy-genre stuff that would definately qualify in my opinion (LOTR isn't pre-1932, I'm fairly sure. The 50th anniversary was last year).

direstraits said:
You guys read 1984 in school? I would think that's cool - I remember the only 2 things we read were To Kill a Mockingbird and Lord of the Flies.

I know I read it for a class on Dystopian Lit in college. I had already read it, so I must have done so in High School as well. I'm not sure if it was for school or for fun though.

mehastings said:
I know I read it for a class on Dystopian Lit in college. I had already read it, so I must have done so in High School as well. I'm not sure if it was for school or for fun though.
It was a class selection in my Grade 11 literature class. I wanted Titus Groan, but the majority voted for 1984. Democracy - bah! I was pleasantly surprised by it, though, and I think I got a lot more out of it education-wise than I would have with Titus Groan.

Back