• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Top 20 Geek Novels

Since when is Hitchhiker a geek book?! It's one of the coolest books ever written. Did the word "geek" evolve and I didn't know it?

Mari said:
Since when is Hitchhiker a geek book?! It's one of the coolest books ever written. Did the word "geek" evolve and I didn't know it?
Yeah, I don't know. Apparently when one reads sci-fi one is thus socially inept.

Incidently I looked it up on Dictionary.com (I think that makes me more of a geek...). Does this make Ozzy a geek?

geek
n. Slang

1a. A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy.
1b. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.

2. A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.

Note: The circus sideshow is the source of the word geek, “a performer who engaged in bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.”

Tom said:
I've only read two. I guess that means the end of my chicken swallowing career.
Well, actually that depends. Which one do you like more, reading geek novels or swallowing chickens? There's no reason to deprive yourself of fowl acts if that's what you like. We're flexible.

ds

i've read two of those(I think...i wasn't sure if i read 1984 in hs, i forgot, but i am sure we have a copy of it at home). i loved microserfs

I've only read Hitchhiker's Guide... but I do want to read Moore's Watchmen, Orwell's 1984, & Gaiman's American Gods (+ others on the list).

So, ds, does 14 make me the geekiest on TBF?

Do I get a prize or something? :D

ilusyonada said:
i loved microserfs
Oh yeah man! :) I somehow got sidetracked and haven't finished it yet, but it's indeed one of the coolest books I've read. To a degree, I can even relate to it. :)

Ell, indeed you get a prize, Your Geekiness!

And your ultimate Geek Prize - [drum roll] - a computer chassis made out of used ice-cream sticks and chewed bubble-gum!

[confetti and lots of fanfare!]

I'm out of gum at present, but you'll get it when it's done. My jaws will be tired, but you've earned it! :D

ds

direstraits said:
Ell, indeed you get a prize, Your Geekiness!

And your ultimate Geek Prize - [drum roll] - a computer chassis made out of used ice-cream sticks and chewed bubble-gum!

[confetti and lots of fanfare!]

I'm out of gum at present, but you'll get it when it's done. My jaws will be tired, but you've earned it! :D
Yeah, the chassis is nice, but no processor? Cheap. Very cheap.

And make sure you chew Dubble-Bubble - I'm particular about the gum ya know!

ell :)

angerball said:
Same here! I haven't read any of Coupland's other stuff though - but I've heard alot of people say Microserfs is his best.

Nooooo - IMHO he's got better and better. Try All Families are Psychotic or Hey Nostradamus!

i've only read 2(hides in shame) but i've heard of most and i'm planning on reading quite a lot of them. i'm planning on reading quite a lot of things, actally.

Back