• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Top Ten List Of Best Humor Books

limited reading experiences

Chixulub said:
5.1)
John Kennedy Toole:
'A Confederacy of Dunces'
5.9)
Jarosalv Hašek:
'The Good Solider Švejk'
6.5)
Joseph Heller:
'Catch-22'
7.1)
Joey Goebel:
'Torture the Artist'
7.9)
Toby Young:
'How to Lose Friends and Alienate People'
8.1)
Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson:
'The Iluminatus! Trilogy'
9.2)
John Irving
'The World According to Garp'
10)
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.:
'Sirens of Titan'
'Cat's Cradle'
'God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater'
'Breakfast of Champions'
'Jailbird'
'Deadeye Dick'
'Galápagos'

5.9)
Jarosalv Hašek:
'The Good Soldier Švejk'

6.5)
Joseph Heller:
'Catch-22'

Those two would be ranked higher in my list (if I had one). Also I would add Don Quixote by Cervntes, Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift to the imagined list.

Crystal said:
5.9)
Jarosalv Hašek:
'The Good Soldier Švejk'

6.5)
Joseph Heller:
'Catch-22'

Those two would be ranked higher in my list (if I had one). Also I would add Don Quixote by Cervntes, Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift to the imagined list.

I don't know that I meant my ranking to be in a strict order. I just resorted to decimals because I couldn't keep it to 10 in whole numbers.

I haven't read Cervantes yet, only seen the musical (so to speak), and the only Swift I remember getting to was 'A Modest Proposal.' All it good time, I'll get to them.

The good part about having a 'to-read' list that grows faster than I can read is I'll never have to weep Alexander-style that there are no more worlds to conquer.

I'd like to add some good humorous books in genre fiction:

Science Fiction: Connie Willis, To Say Nothing of the Dog
Fantasy: Robert Asprin, Another Fine Myth
Romance: Jennifer Crusie, Welcome to Temptation
Mystery: Janet Evanovich, One for the Money AND Carl Hiaasen, Skin Tight
Women's Lives/Relationships: Barbara Kingsolver, The Bean Trees

Unfortunately I can't think of any ones for Historical Fiction or Adventure right now.

lucas.nester said:
I can't believe nobody's mentioned Shel Silverstein's books! If you like him, you should check out this new author: Isaac Madsen. You'll enjoy Mother Goose in a Drought.

I thought Shel Silverstein just wrote songs for Johnny Cash...

Northern Light said:
Couple of names that I thought of when reading this topic: The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde, The Complete Prose of Woody Allen, the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, from Mark Twain for example Letters from the Earth. Y'all read these?

I'll have to disagree with Chixulub on Chuck Palahniuk. I have to admit upfront that I've only read one of his books, Choke, but I thought that one was awful. But to each their own, I suppose. :cool:

I forgot about 'Side Effects' by Woody, good book as I recall, very funny.

If you didn't like 'Choke,' dont' write Palahniuk off totally. His best is 'Survivor.' But I do love 'Choke.' The 'Haunted' apology tour is over, so hopefully Chuck will get back to what he does well...

Back