• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Top Ten List Of Best Humor Books

samn

Agree or Disagree?
Best Humor Books
1. The First Book of Tasteless Fortune Cookie Fortunes
by Joe Wang
2 Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Idiot
by AL FRANKEN
3. Family - The Ties that Bind...And Gag!
by ERMA BOMBECK
4.Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man
by Tim Allen
5. Seinlanguage
by JERRY SEINFELD
6.Memoirs of a Mangy Lover
by Groucho Marx
7. Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up
by DAVE BARRY
8. No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
by Jeff Foxworthy
9. Dirty Jokes and Beer : Stories of the Unrefined
by Drew Carey
10. Fatherhood
by Bill Cosby

lenny nero said:
I would add:
Naked by David Sedaris
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

I don't know if I would really consider these to be Humor I suppose it depends on your perception. Although, they are two of my favorite books. :D

Edited for BAD grammar.

I would add these:
Brain Droppings -George Carlin
Side Effects -Woody Allen
All I Know About Animal Behavior I Learned in Loehmann's Dressing Room -Erma Bombeck
The Grass is Always Greener Over The Septic Tank -Erma Bombeck
:D :D :D :D

ladyjune98 said:
How about Anguished English by Richard Lederer? Great if you're a book / grammar / English nerd.

Yay! Another Anguished English fan! I can open that book to any page and it cracks me up.

I know I've said this in another thread, but anything by Nick Hornby absolutely cracks me up. Must be the dry saracasm thing. LOVED High Fidelity.

I also loved "Notes from a small island" by Bill Bryson, anything by Ben Elton, and "The secret diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 3/4" by Sue Townsend.

Hard to narrow it down to 10!

But I think I've found a way to cheat the ten limitation:

1)
P.J. O'Rourke:
'Modnen Manners'
'Republican Party Reptile'
'All the Trouble in the World'
'Parliament of Whores'
'Holidays in Hell'
'Give War a Chance'

1.4)
Steve Martin:
'The Pleasure of My Company'
'Shopgirl'

1.9)
Terry Southern:
'The Magic Christian'
'Candy'

2.5)
David Sedaris:
'Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim'
'Me Talk Pretty One Day'
'Naked'
'Barrel Fever'
'Holidays on Ice'

3)
Chuck Palahniuk:
'Survivor'
'Choke'
'Lullaby'

3.4)
Thomas Pynchon:
'The Crying of Lot 49'
'Mason & Dixon'

3.9)
Max Barry:
'Syrup'
'Jennifer Government'

4.6)
Jonathan Lethem:
'Motherless Brooklyn'

5.1)
John Kennedy Toole:
'A Confederacy of Dunces'

5.9)
Jarosalv Hašek:
'The Good Solider Švejk'

6.5)
Joseph Heller:
'Catch-22'

7.1)
Joey Goebel:
'Torture the Artist'

7.9)
Toby Young:
'How to Lose Friends and Alienate People'

8.1)
Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson:
'The Iluminatus! Trilogy'

9.2)
John Irving
'The World According to Garp'

10)
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.:
'Sirens of Titan'
'Cat's Cradle'
'God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater'
'Breakfast of Champions'
'Jailbird'
'Deadeye Dick'
'Galápagos'

Yeah, I know it's a double cheat, using decimals to even get it to a ten author list...

I'd add A Confederacy of Dunces, Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy, and Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

I'm not sure if these have staying power yet, but in time I might also add In Me Own Words: The Autobiography of Bigfoot and Foop!

Couple of names that I thought of when reading this topic: The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde, The Complete Prose of Woody Allen, the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, from Mark Twain for example Letters from the Earth. Y'all read these?

I'll have to disagree with Chixulub on Chuck Palahniuk. I have to admit upfront that I've only read one of his books, Choke, but I thought that one was awful. But to each their own, I suppose. :cool:

Anything by David Sedaris. That guy cracks me up. His essays make for great quick readings between books.

I too am a big David Sedaris fan, his new book "Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules" is a collection of short stories he selected. I have begun reading and already been introduced to great new authors I have yet to read. This book defintely ties you over before the next Sedaris book.

novella said:
He has a new one in this week's New Yorker. Don't know if it's online--if so, it's free, no reg. It's the debut fiction issue, too, a bonus!

Here it is, free for a few more days.

Free new David Sedaris, from The New Yorker

I try to get by my local library because they carry the New Yorker, I didn't know they had free online content.

I had to scale back my subscription list for budgetary reasons, so it's basically 'Paris Review' these days. I was going to keep 'Grand Street' coming, but they folded.

Where I can go by the library and read the New Yorker free, I'd really have to scrounge to get 'Paris Review' or any other lit mag from them. I might renew some of the others I lapsed if I get caught up on my back issues of stuff and find some folding money. 'Fugue,' 'Southwest Review,' 'the New Review,' 'MAR,' 'McSweeney's,' I'm not a fast enough reader to get through all the ones I've subscribed to all the time, even if I quit reading novels and collections. And the ones I've taken are just the tip of the berg, and you never know where you're going to come across something stunning.

Back