• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Training yourself to read slowly

oldboy

I just can't do it.
If I'm loving a book i have to read it double quik..miss bits, get confused, not clock different angles.
but i know im gonna read it again

am i simply lacking selfcontrol?
is it better to savour a book first time around and long it out or is it understandable and not such a bad thing to blast through it>>>

I read fast I always have. That's the way I enjoy a book. When I was in elementary school, I had trouble reading until I discovered Nancy Drew, and I taught myself to read fast. I don't read word for word. I read whole sentences. Years later if I don't know whether or not I read a book, all I have to do is read the first page and I know.

As long as you're reading who cares? And it sounds like you might get more out of re-readings than the average bear. Good for you!

:confused: Why on earth would you want to slow down?? If you have comprehension of what you read, the speed doesn't matter. If you're skimming and not understanding the content in the time you've allotted to finish the book, that's another thing, but still doesn't mean you have to slow down.

Think about it -- if the book wasn't very good, you didn't invest much valuable time. If it's terrific, you'll get something new out of it when you read it again! :D

Cathy C said:
:confused: Why on earth would you want to slow down?? If you have comprehension of what you read, the speed doesn't matter.

I agree! And the faster you finish a book, the more time you have to read even more books! :)

oldboy said:
..miss bits, get confused, not clock different angles.

But he says he's missing bits. I read fast out of habit, and after a while I notice I'm missing bits, so I force myself to slow down. And seriously, sounding the words out is definitely one way of slowing things down.

Why don't you just take some heroin and slump down in a corner with a good book in front of you. It'll take you hours to get to the next page. :D

yeah but i lose concentration. my mind wanders
its terrible

i WILL miss bits. standard. but i know i gather them in next time around
white teeth the twist went right over my head

Ooh I hate that! I do it all the time when I get into a book. I'll start skimming and skipping parts even! I did that near the end of the Lord of the Rings and I skipped over the part where they destroy the ring! Next thing I know everything's okay, I'm very confused and I have to go back and re-read a bit. :rolleyes:

Abulafia said:
Why don't you just take some heroin and slump down in a corner with a good book in front of you. It'll take you hours to get to the next page. :D
Says the voice of experience ;)

I noticed that when I go back to books I blew through there is plenty I missed. Sometimes you just can't help yourself though.

oldboy said:
I just can't do it.
If I'm loving a book i have to read it double quik..miss bits, get confused, not clock different angles.
but i know im gonna read it again
I have the same problem. And I hate it when I do it!

Hmmm.... that seems really bad, but maybe it depends on why you're reading books in the first place, and I suppose, what you ultimately want to get from your reading experience. I would think skipping or skimming would degrade the experience and adulterate the literature itself.

But, then again, I don't know anything. ;)

Prolixic said:
I noticed that when I go back to books I blew through there is plenty I missed.

i dont neccessairly think this a bad thing tho

longs out the books appeal in some respects

I indorse the idea of the person who says you can slow down by saying what you read in your mind, as if you say it out.

I have no difficulty appreciating the books I read by doing so, but when it comes to reading fast, I lack technique...

If I read something imposed or a part of book not interesting, I'd like to fly over it while reading the important... Do you know good books that make you learn fast reading?

By reading a book meticulously at first, you can re-read it fast then, I think it's the best, even for a loved book.

Back