• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Trivia Question

eyez0nme

What's another word for heart attack? I had learned this term from somewhere, but I forgot. It has to do with the enlarging of the heart--it gets so large (doube the size) that it goes into a cardiac arrest. You guyz know the term to it?

eyez0nme said:
It has to do with the enlarging of the heart--it gets so large (doube the size) that it goes into a cardiac arrest.

Ventricular fibrillation is what causes cardiac arrest although it has nothing to do with the heart doubling in size. Instead it twitches sporadically.

Heart attack is a very general term that people use to describe all sorts of conditions. I suspect that you are looking for Myocardial Infarction, commonly abbreviated in the medical world simply as MI, or refered to as "the big one".

"Sir, your wife has had a myocardial infarction, but we're doing the best we can".

"I looked on the monitor and saw that she was having 'the big one' ".

"Last night we did a call for a lady having an MI, she went into V-Fib before we got to the hospital and we didn't get her back".

Please be sure to do some research on the topic, as there is nothing more aggrivating than reading a book with incorrect medical descriptions in it. It is like watching them do shitty fake CPR on ER. I suggest wikipedia or even a textbook or study guide geared toward nurses or paramedics.

eyez0nme said:
What's another word for heart attack? I had learned this term from somewhere, but I forgot. It has to do with the enlarging of the heart--it gets so large (doube the size) that it goes into a cardiac arrest. You guyz know the term to it?

They're called double infractionz. :)

After thinking a while I also came up with cardiomegaly. I still think you are looking for MI though, as cardiomegaly isn't considered a "heart attack". It can lead to one, but so can just about anything. In fact, cardiomegaly is usually caused by another condition (anemia, hypertension, etc) and is often totally symptomless.

Mehastings your right. In veterinary medicine enlarging of the heart is indeed called cardiomegally. As you stated cardiomegally isn't however, the same as a heart attack, just a description of "big heart". There are two types of cardiomegally; hypertrophic, in which the walls of the heart thicken, and dilated in which the walls are flaccid and the chambers are enlarged.

As far as heart attacks I can't really speak to that. Pets, though they have lots of heart disease, don't generally have infarctions as people do.:D

Back