• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Trolls

Kookamoor

I just found this really neat website link regarding trolls and the best things to do about them. It's pretty self explanatory if you are a regular internet user and post on many forums or chat sites, but I thought it might be handy for people unfamiliar with this sort of thing. Would this be beneficial? Should it go in the General Chat links? I wasn't sure, so I figured I'd put it here for now, and leave it up to the discretion of the mods as to whether this is useful or not.

http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

This is an interesting link. Perhaps some of us here could have used some "how to deal with trolls" advice a few months ago.

It was an interesting link. Thanks for sharing.
I delete their posts and send them a PM telling them to behave. I then tell the other mods and if the person continues then they are banned along with their IP. :)

Trolls can sometimes be a laugh and i think we sometimes run the risk of being a bit precious when it comes to these forums. Some trolls are just arseholes though and it doesnt take long to suss them. Some of them are astoundingly thick too. This is often entertaining though as their attempted trolling can make them look very stupid.

IP bans can easily be gotten round as well. Or so I'm told.

That's why most forums can ban a group of ip's, making it a bit harder to get around the ban.

Generally I tell the troll off and ask them to behave, usually they get 3 chances or so to correct their behaviour, I always keep in mind that I could be dealing with 13 year old who registered on a forum for the first time and really has no clue about netiquette. If I see more than one transgression I lecture them on netiquette and how we do thing on the forum in question. If it still doesn't work they get banned.

aye, but doing that can affect others and people can just use proxies anyway. or so I'm told.

I've never had to do anything like that and would have no idea how to but I've heard on other forums about people using proxy IPs or masked IPs.

Back