• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Troy-what are they going to do?

You're wrong, Martin.
Maybe I didn't express it clearly. I meant that BP and OB are neither sexy nor aesthetically pleasant for me, so they won't encourage me to see it. But even if there were any attractive men, the real problem for me is changing the original plot. I wonder what is left of Homer...
I confess that handsome men aren't for me any significant argument for watching the film. I even didn't watch the one containing two of my favourite male actors, because I didn't find it interesting.

Well, I haven't read The Iliad, so I can't really tell you what has been changed. All I can say is this - if there are any changes (and I'm sure there are), it doesn't diminish the fact that this is a very, very entertaining film. Don't dismiss this because it's merely 'inspired by' as opposed to 'based upon' Homer's work.

Go see this, trust me.

Cheers, Martin :cool:

Martin said:
Clear enough for ya?
Clear.
I read critics' opinions that the film is emotionally empty - that the viewers are bored and don't really care what will happen with the characters. Your enthusiastic post seems to prove an opposite point of view. I need to go and judge by myself. When I do, I'll share with you my humble opinions.

I'm just uncertain if I'll like any plot changes, if I won't get mad, because I've read Iliad and various modern books about myths and I know all the story quite well. It is so deeply rooted in my mind that any changes will be something like altering historical facts in war films, like in the film "U-something" where American soldiers take Enigma from German soldiers.

I watched it yesterday, and the movie was awesome! =D

The first scene with Achilles in action really made a huge effect. That signature move of his (the one where he jumps, then he thrusts his sword with all his might) got me really excited!

But what kind of disappointed me was that the gods/goddesses didn't have much participation in the movie. I mean, didn't
Athena give Odysseus the plan on the Trojan horse? And Apollo was supposed to be the one to guide Paris' arrow... plus I remember a character, I think her name's Cassandra, but from what I know she was supposed to be able to tell the future, and she knew there were Trojans inside the horse.

But overall, that was one great movie! I watched it twice ^,^ Just to see Brad Pitt make that killer move again. LOL!

Stella Leanna said:
But what kind of disappointed me was that the gods/goddesses didn't have much participation in the movie.

Maybe they wanted to make the film more realistic, like
Odysseus made the horse up all by himself, Paris was just a good archer, you know, to get rid of all gods' intervention. As for Cassandra, she in fact saw the future. I don't know if she saw Trojans inside the horse, I'd rather say she regarded the horse as a kind of evil trick and Greeks as treacherous kind of people. "I fear Greeks, even if they bring gifts."

Idun said:
Maybe they wanted to make the film more realistic, like
Odysseus made the horse up all by himself, Paris was just a good archer, you know, to get rid of all gods' intervention. As for Cassandra, she in fact saw the future. I don't know if she saw Trojans inside the horse, I'd rather say she regarded the horse as a kind of evil trick and Greeks as treacherous kind of people. "I fear Greeks, even if they bring gifts."

That's what I thought as well! It appeared as if they merely had gods and goddesses they worshipped, not gods and goddesses that mingled with the mortals. But that's the part of Homer's work that makes his stories fantastic. Too bad! Oh well. =/

We just got back from seeing it. I had to turn off my brain and not think about the book, but then I usually do have to do that for any film adaptations so this wasn't unexpected.

Now that I'm sitting here comparing the two, it would have been more enjoyable to see more of the gods and their interaction, but this wound up being a story about the soldiers in war, not about gods or really even kings. And as someone mentioned earlier, Diane Kruger isn't my idea of the face that launched a thousand ships, but that's just a personal thing.

All in all, it was a very good film. I found myself liking and disliking the same characters, which to me means they're being portrayed more realistically, and that's always a good thing to me. It was different than the book, but not disappointing. :)

{Tigress} said:
it would have been more enjoyable to see more of the gods and their interaction,

you got that right. that was what I was expecting, at least, but come to think of it, there wasn't any of those in the trailers. just plain war. =D

Stella Leanna said:
you got that right. that was what I was expecting, at least, but come to think of it, there wasn't any of those in the trailers. just plain war. =D

Yeah, but you have to admit, Pitt looked good in (and out of) that armor! ;)

I really don't know what you guys think is so great about this movie. Cause it was horrible from where I was standing. It's not just that they changed the story, but also that only Sean Bean and Eric Bana seemed to be the only characters in the story with some credibility. Peter O'Toole (who is rumoured to be a great actor) didn't seem to know what he was doing, Brad Pitt's portrayal of Achilles bordered on hilarious (which isn't a good thing when you're watching a movie with no intentions whatsoever of being comedy), Orlando Bloom was annoying (especially how he didn't bother to get into things -- Legolas shooting Achilles?), the women were obnoxious, etc. This was almost as bad as Titanic it was. Or maybe it was worse? I don't know. I seem to have blocked those memories.

Stella Leanna said:
But I still think they could've gotten a prettier Helen. =/

:) Yeah. no idea of what they were thinking at that time when selecting.
Or perhaps the beauty of Helen is beyond their imagination. :rolleyes:
one friend is just crazy about Pitt. awwwww, my god. :D

watercrystal said:
:) Yeah. no idea of what they were thinking at that time when selecting.
Or perhaps the beauty of Helen is beyond their imagination. :rolleyes:
one friend is just crazy about Pitt. awwwww, my god. :D

Maybe they thought her beauty could launch a thousand ships :p

Pitt was hot. ;) Buuut, I expected to Odysseus to be more handsome. =/ But he fit the role anyway.

Back