• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Trying to understand people

clueless

I've noticed that lots of people register and disappear without posting anything?

Can anyone explain why? I had been reading posts in the forum for a couple of weeks and only registered when I wanted to post.
Are there any other advantages of registering apart from posting?

clueless said:
I've noticed that lots of people register and disappear without posting anyting?

Can anyone explain why? I had been reading posts in the forum for a couple of weeks and only registered when I wanted to post.
Are there any other advantages of registering apart from posting?

I've seen that with lots of forums and groups, I don't know what happens, especially with a forum like this where you can see what its about before you register. I've also noticed this forum attracts a lot of guests, one day I was on here and it was me and 64 guests!

francesca said:
I've also noticed this forum attracts a lot of guests, one day I was on here and it was me and 64 guests!

These are not typically guests - maybe one or two - but, instead, are the numerous legs of webspiders indexing the forum's pages.

Stewart said:
These are not typically guests - maybe one or two - but, instead, are the numerous legs of webspiders indexing the forum's pages.

Nicely put if a bit shudder making.

It occured to me after I had posted that perhaps some people can't find the confidence to post, I think that happens a lot when people are new to forums. It can also be hard trying to get into an established forum, I' sure some people like the attention they get from an intro but then don't want to work at becoming a part of it. I can remember how nervous I was when I posted my first thread on here, I searched everywhere to make sure it hadnt been covered, and then it was totally ignored :D Some supersensitive souls might have given up at that point, obviously I'm not one of them :p

Guilty of overuse of emoticons here, sorry

francesca said:
when I posted my first thread on here, I searched everywhere to make sure it hadnt been covered, and then it was totally ignored :D

I just signed up, went on a barrage of Dan Brown, contributed to a number of others, and then, after 68 posts, I went to the introductions thread and said Hi! :D

francesca said:
I can remember how nervous I was when I posted my first thread on here, I searched everywhere to make sure it hadnt been covered, and then it was totally ignored.
Still, your threads have 12 replies on average, and that's not bad, is it?

I never went to the introductions thread. In real, not virtual life, I hate introductions, never know what to say to strangers and just feel uncomfortable. I thought I didn't need to go through that in the forum, so I just got in the middle of a thread.
Then I realised I had made a mistake, but by then it felt stupid to introduce myself.

clueless said:
I never went to the introductions thread. In real, not virtual life, I hate introductions, never know what to say to strangers and just feel uncomfortable. I thought I didn't need to go through that in the forum, so I just got in the middle of a thread.
Don't worry, I never introduced myself either. ;)

Perhaps they intend to come back and never do. I registered at work and was instantly sent on a call. I didn't get back to it until a day or two later. I could easily have forgotten and never come back.

I registered for the site, but did not post for about a week or two. I was a little nervous at posting at first, so I just left it for awhile and then began posting because I had heaps of spare time on my hands since it was holidays. I must admit that I almost forgot about the site, and only remembered when I was looking through my favourites one day :eek:

~MonkeyCatcher~

clueless said:
Then I realised I had made a mistake, but by then it felt stupid to introduce myself.

I think that's fine, the introductions are a bit like going on those work courses, or starting an evening class, and you just know that the person in charge is going to say 'Lets go round the room, everyone introduce themselves and tell us a bit about why they are here'' and you just want to say ''Arse''
I knew this was a good forum when no-one said 'wavin atcha!' on the intro thread.....

I always think people who register and don't post just wanted to look at the personal information of members, look for e-mail addresses and stuff like that. You have to register to access those pages.

Also, say your kid is looking at this site and you see it bookmarked or in the browser history. You might want to register just to look at what the kid is doing here.

I found the site, registered, and was posting like a crazy person within 30 minutes. I tend to be more extroverted than most, though.

I have never really worried about what strangers thought of me, in real life or in the anonymity of an internet forum. Although friends can hurt my feelings, pissing off a couple of strangers was never high on my concern list.

I guess some people place more value on the opinions of others and want to make a good impression, but aren't sure how?

I would tend to think that a lot of the 'no-posters' are as Novella says, though. Parents checking up on kids. Or hippies.

Who knows? I'm just glad that those who did come back have stuck around. We have a pretty good mix of personalities, which makes this my favorite place to play!

sirmyk said:
Is there age restriction for this forum? I never read the rules (gasp!)

I think 13 is the cut off....but I'm not sure if that's physical age, or mental age....someone may need to clear that up....

Ronny said:
I think you are supposed to be 13 or older sirmyk, are you?
According to my age, yes.

leckert said:
rules? Don't worry, Myk. I don't think you're too old to post here.
Niether does my subconscience.

lies said:
You should definitely do something about that[/url].
Ah... that link looked familiar. I think I checked out one of the rules after getting my first warning. I'll pass this time around as well and skip the rules.

Back