• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Turn Off Your TV & Read Week!

Well there are going to be shows I'll miss. Simpsons being one, and actually most of the shows on Discovery(Myth busters), but not enough to keep on paying for it every month.

I cant say i watch much TV, but i would not get rid of my TV. There is a few good shows i like to watch, and then there is soccer, movies and the news.

And sometimes when i'm tired after work its nice to just sit down, switch off the brain and mindlessly zap through the channels.

My thoughts exactly. What is the educational/qualitative difference between spending two hours watching a really good movie and spending two hours reading any of the following: Stephen King, Agatha Christie, Dan Brown, Terry Pratchett, Nicholas Sparks, . . . .

I truly don't believe that reading mediocre thrillers and romances is any more intellectually stimulating than watching sports or a decent movie or a well made TV show.
But, not everything has to be intellectually stimulating, does it? I mean, we're allowed to, you know, have fun every now and again, right?

I see where you're coming from, and I certainly agree with your general message, but on the other hand I don't agree with what you're saying between the lines (I might be wrong here, don't shoot me): Everything is fair game, as long as it stimulates the mind.

Now, I realise that there is a fundamental truth in there somewhere, but I honestly don't think everything should be intellectually stimulating, or, put differently, that someone's intellect should be questioned just because he or she watches reality shows.

That's elitist behaviour. (Not an accusation, mind.)

I'll stop babbling now.

Cheers

"But, not everything has to be intellectually stimulating, does it?"

You are right Martin. There's nothing wrong with just plain old entertainment with no strings attached, and no pre-concieved notions of intelligence. There's nothing written anywhere that says if you like watching something that others consider completely mindless that you are somehow less of a person. Television can be a wonderful escape from reality for some people.

The TV turn off week is geared more towards the families that rely on TV as the only source of entertainment, the babysitter, the friend, and the companion. My kids school plans all kinds of family activities to get everybody out of the house and doing things together. They rent a roller skating rink, have a dance, and provide kids with a list of things they can do at home each day to replace the tv time with something else.

If you're only watching a few hours of tv a week you don't need tv turn off, maybe you should try not reading for a week and look into using that reading time for exercise, but if you live in a house where the tv is on for 6-8 hours a day TV Turn Off is just what you need.

Novella - By television, I think, wasn't meant to represent movies. It means all that crap that is on TV such as sitcoms and soap operas (I am shivering) and let us not forget that suvivor shit.

For me it should be: turn off the computer and the ps2 for a week (I got rid of cable television/any reception almost a year ago and only watch movies/play video games). Although, with the weather improving, I think it's a nobrainer that I will be away from those things.

Not into the TV programmes around really; only CSI, Desperate Housewives & Stargate when it was on.

I sometimes have the music channels on before I go to bed & end up falling asleep on the sofa & wake up around 3am with a stiff neck!

I don't even own a T.V :)

I don't thing there is anything wrong with TV but I think it's how people use it. I object to people coming home from work, slumping in front of the TV and then just letting the hours flow by till they go to sleep. To me, this is existing and not living. I can't count the number of times I have heard people say "TV was really bad last night, wasn't it?" in conversation. And yet they still watched it. To me that's horrible.

SillyWabbit said:
I don't even own a T.V :)
Well we have two, neither of which are even plugged in at the moment (which is the reason I forgot to tape Phil's program for him :eek: ). The last thing I remember watching on TV was the olympics. When I do turn it on, it's generally to tape some obscure program that I never actually get round to watching :rolleyes:

Mind you, when I was younger I used to watch TV quite a bit - it did help having cable in my bedroom though :D

Martin said:
But if it makes them happy, who cares?

Cheers

I agree with you! But I would argue that they are not happy. They just exist and it's enough for them. This is what I think is sad. TV is the opium of the 20th century.

Oh please. Who are you to judge whether or not people are happy.

Look, I can understand the aversion against tv (I don't agree, but I understand it), but there are limits, of course.

Cheers

Yes, they probably would.

It's what I THINK. I said "I would argue" I didn't say "This is a fact" Do you see the difference?

It's quite possible I am wrong. It's only what I think.

I thiink sitting passivly waiting for something to entertain you and liking only 20 percent of it if you are lucky is not really a full life. But if that's the way people want to live then good for them. All life choices are valid.

It was sure better in the good old Victorian Days when you got to sit around embroidering and making polite conversation about the weather while wearing a corset.

Or the good old medieval days when you got to sit on a wooden stump with a bucket of slop and a few diseases and worry about whether the taxman was going to let you live this year.

Them were the good old days, when we made our own entertainment. . .

novella said:
Them were the good old day, when we made our own entertainment. . .

This reminds me of a Sandman story from "The dolls house"(i think). The Sandman and his friend Hob Gadling meets at a bar once every 100 years for a drink. Each time they enter the bar you "hear" pieces of conversations from the other bar guests. They are remarably similar each 100 years. :)

Back