• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Turning your book passion into an occupation

SFG75

Who here has thought of transforming their love and passion for books into their job? Perhaps you thought of going into teaching, setting up your own bookstore, working for someone else's bookstore, or you may have even desired to become a librarian. Has anyone do this or know of others who have? Any drawbacks? :confused: :confused:

Found a good article that highlights how libraries have become oddities in our contemporary culture. Section 9 of the reading is definitely one of the more interesting pieces written.:)

I would never teach at a school, but I would teach at a writng group or writing school or mentor or something.
I would LOVE to open a book store or work in one, but not a librarian. We laugh at our school librarians.

Lani

I would absolutely love to eventually own and run a (second-hand) book store, or work as a librarian. But I just don't know how to get into the librarian field (I'm not going to go back to uni), or to go about starting up a book store, or how to run it. I suppose I could research it, but for some reason it's always something I thought I'd do later in life. :confused:

I'd love to hear stories about people who have successfully merged their love of books with a books-oriented career, and how they went about starting up. :)

wilderness-It's quite rewarding actually, you also get the joy of seeing new ideas sink in and that proverbial "a-ha!" look in your student's faces the first time they grasp something that just rocks their world view. Yes, there are pains to it, things that I absolutely hate-such as reports, department meetings where bulletins are read to us, not to mention putting up with some dullard's parents who want to know why their little "Einstein" has a 55%. Gee, perhaps he forgot to turn in the last ten assignments that you never bothered asking him about?:rolleyes:

Working in a public library wouldn't be so bad, I think it would be a fun thing to do. A school librarian might get stuck with a lot of the negatives that go along with teaching, that and you probably have to fight your administrator a lot in terms of funding when the budget gets tight, but you want some more books. I've often thought of getting a masters in library management or specializing in being a legal librarian as the law really interests me. I still have an eye towards that from time to time. Perhaps I'll do that some day in the future. I see myself working three different jobs, not just one for forty years.

Angerball-Opening a used-bookstore is something I see myself doing once the kids are out of the house and we are a bit more stable in terms of finances. I knew a used-bookstore in Estes Park Colorado. The man who ran it had a wife who was a doctor and made plenty of money. He was between jobs and started a business. The place was really neat as one "wall" was a giant boulder. I'd really have to do some homework and plan for it to be in a very populated area. Each place has it's own little niche, something that makes it unique and that helps it to stand out from other places. I'm not certain as to what aesthetic look or appeal I would want it to possess, other than a gourmet coffee bar.:D

I work at a public library and it's fun. It's nice to see so many different books, and the easy ability to recheck and delete fines ;) I doubt it's a job that would pay the bills though.

Last year I was seriously looking into opening my own book shop (new books, not second-hand!). I had some doubts about whether I would sell enough to even cover overheads, let alone make a profit. Then fate intervened and I was offered a job, which I took. However, I'm not enjoying the job and my thoughts are turning more and more back to the book shop idea. Whether I will ever go for it, who knows. :confused:

If that doesn't happen, I might go for a library job instead. I'd love to work with books.

The idea of opening a bookstore seems great: a nice little quaint place where you feature books that are somewhat obscure and perhaps have some kind of added relationship with customers. However, the business side of it is quite scary. Now more than ever, you would have to offer something far beyond what a chain can offer to even have a chance. I'd love to set up a store with a slant away from "pulp" bestsellers toward "literature" for lack of a better word. Of course, I have no clue exactly how big of a market there is for something like that.

I suppose most book lovers also throw around the idea of writing their own book, but that seems even more intimidating than a bookstore.

Halo said:
Last year I was seriously looking into opening my own book shop (new books, not second-hand!). I had some doubts about whether I would sell enough to even cover overheads, let alone make a profit. Then fate intervened and I was offered a job, which I took. However, I'm not enjoying the job and my thoughts are turning more and more back to the book shop idea. Whether I will ever go for it, who knows. :confused:

If that doesn't happen, I might go for a library job instead. I'd love to work with books.

Excellent point Halo. I looked into the whole coffee-place and book thing and found out that at a minimum in the states, you could end up laying down $10-50,000.:eek: That's without consultant help with machines and that kind of thing. I guess I'll have to start saving a few pennies.;)

Halo said:

I have two smallish suggestions to offer here, Halo.

1. Before you decide to invest all your money in a bookstore, try working in one for a while so that you can learn the ropes. You may not earn much, but you'll be getting a free education.

2. Volunteer at your favorite library for a while so you can see if you like it. (You will be able to decide how many hours you can spare to work as a volunteer; I'm pretty sure they'll gratefully take whatever help they can get.)

StillILearn - Thanks for the good advice. :) I have actually worked in a library before, and I enjoyed it. Getting experience of working in a book shop is a very good idea. Maybe I'll try and get some Saturday work in one, so I can stay in my current job.

My main worry is that shop rents are seem very high around here, around £200 - £300 per week (or more) for a decent sized shop to enable me to stock what I would like. If you're selling something like electrical goods you're fine; one sale and your rent's covered. With books, well, I'd have to sell a heck of a lot of £6.99 books just to cover my rent. :(

SFG75 said:
Who here has thought of transforming their love and passion for books into their job? Perhaps you thought of going into teaching, setting up your own bookstore, working for someone else's bookstore, or you may have even desired to become a librarian. Has anyone do this or know of others who have? Any drawbacks? :confused: :confused:

Oddly enough, no. I love books, libraries and used bookstores, but not the people. I've yet to meet a librarian or a bookstore clerk who didn't make me want to run into an alternative record shop for some warm, friendly interaction.

Terry Pratchett advise would probably be...

SFG75 said:
or you may have even desired to become a librarian. Has anyone do this or know of others who have? Any drawbacks? :confused: :confused:

As a librarian, do not forget a banana and take care of the L-space! Good Luck!

henrietta said:
Oddly enough, no. I love books, libraries and used bookstores, but not the people. I've yet to meet a librarian or a bookstore clerk who didn't make me want to run into an alternative record shop for some warm, friendly interaction.

Oh, not me, I have a wonderful second hand book store a little over 15 miles from me, and the woman that runs it, and the two clerks that I have met are all very helpful, and talkative if I want talk, and quiet if I want quiet. I've even called them on the phone and asked if they have a certain book, or series of books, and they will hold them for me until I can get down there to purchase them. Its a franchise I believe, The Book Rack, but locally owned and operated.

And yes, I have thought about having a book store, either new or 2nd hand, but I just don't have the time to devote to something like that. Its a 24/7 proposition.

Owning my own used bookstore would be nice. It would make my non-reader friends roll their eyes and sigh at the inevitability of it all.

Right now I am volunteering at the public library on Friday afternoons. I find all kinds of potential reading material now. The only things that I don't like about it are reading the shelves in the children's section and the fact that people who smell really horrible come in there. I get the urge to grab a can of deordorant and spray it around! I'd probably fill out an application to substitute there, but my college classes take up most of my time through the week during this quarter.

I got an application to work at the campus library and plan to turn it in later this week. My friend works there and says she gets paid a little over $5 an hour. I could use the extra cash... ^_^

There is this bookstore fairly close to my house that I love. It's located on a corner and the outside reminds me of the shops in York I saw on a visit to England. The inside reminds me of my bedroom when I was a teenager. The books are used, and they are everywhere. The shelves are packed and there are piles of paperbacks on the floors, on chairs, everywhere you turn. There's this huge cat that hangs out in the mass market paperback area (higher traffic, more petting). The guy who runs the place is this incredibly progressive liberal (like me) and has political cartoons hanging all over the place. He hates people who stop in only to get romance novels (I'm sure he only deals in them to pay the bills). I've never seen more than one or two other customers in there at a time. He's open Tuesday through Saturday and doesn't have any employees other than himself. I can't possibly fathom how he pays the bills because I can't see him selling more than a dozen books a day.

I would LOVE to be that guy. He's got the perfect job. No boss, rarely busy, spends his downtime shelving books, reading and talking politics in the rear of the shop with anyone who will sit for a few. I know it would never be financially feasible for me to have that shop, but I know I'd enjoy it so much more than what I do now.

Well, the reason I would never teach at a high school is because I have seen my school and the way the students treat the teachers and the work, and just their general disinterest. I know what you mean about seeing that look in their eyes, but there are maybe one or two students in a class who actually care about what is being taught.
I would love to teach english/writing at a school (creative writing school) where the children are there because they WANT to be there. Where they have taken measurse to be in that class, where its not by force as school is.

My media friends did an interview with the librarians for an assignment, but mixed all the questions and answers. (We have really old and rediculous librarians at my school...I wouldnt usually laugh at someone, but these woman are seriously asking for it)

It ended up to be:
interviewer: Do you have any children?
librarian1: no, just books.

interviewer: have u ever had an affair with another librarian.
libraries 1: no
librarian 2: yes
interviewer: when was that?
librarian: In march, to coincide with Book Week.

It was hilarious.
I wish I could post it here!!

Lani

Well, the reason I would never teach at a high school is because I have seen my school and the way the students treat the teachers and the work, and just their general disinterest.

Yes, that happens, just the way the system is set up. To combat disinterest, we should have magnet schools set up along academic/vocational/fine arts lines. You decide after elementary school what you want to do and you do that. We have disinterest as everything is free and *public* so kids don't work hard and know that they can limp along and still graduate. High stakes testing and requiring a rigorous test to be passed would help many kids to give a Hoover dam. :D

I know what you mean about seeing that look in their eyes, but there are maybe one or two students in a class who actually care about what is being taught.

True, which is why college teaching is even better.

I would love to teach english/writing at a school (creative writing school) where the children are there because they WANT to be there. Where they have taken measurse to be in that class, where its not by force as school is.

The biggest drawback in our system IMHO. Right now, we have a problem with dismal writing scores. Soooooo, we now have a "write traits" rubric where kids are graded upon what they write. The funny thing? You can create a nonsensical essay that passes with flying colors.:rolleyes: Not only that, but the idea that you can rate writing based on a rubric is humorous to me. Well, Keats gets a 9 on "voice," but Yeats earns a mere 4 for his lack of empahsis.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Puh-leeeeeeze!.

My media friends did an interview with the librarians for an assignment, but mixed all the questions and answers. (We have really old and rediculous librarians at my school...I wouldnt usually laugh at someone, but these woman are seriously asking for it)

Seriously consider going into anthropology and researching the cultural lives of librarians.:D

th_crylaugh.gif

interviewer: have u ever had an affair with another librarian.
libraries 1: no
librarian 2: yes
interviewer: when was that?
librarian: In march, to coincide with Book Week.

I'll now worry about what the librarians in my building do during book week.:eek: :eek:

:):) hehe.
Join my club.

The sad thing was that right after they finished the interview, one of the librarians (the main one we made fun of) left the school because she had breast cancer. Oh the guilt!

Lani

I don't know, while being a school librarian wouldn't be my idea of an intellectually rewarding job, I believe being a legal reference librarian or working in a public library would be the route to go. To each their own I guess.:cool:

SFG, if you are seriously considering being a law librarian, I can tell you they make big bucks. They have to get a library science degree AND a law degree (so basically, they could be practicing) so if they work at a major university, the university pays them what regular lawyers would make... six figures, probably. Top dollar :D

As for me, I seriously considered going into publishing for a long time (even went so far as to work at a small publishing company for a year as an intern) but the publishing thing didn't work out very well (I'm not THAT good at proofreading). So I applied to a Master's program for library science at my local university and got in. I'll be graduating in May and I'm really excited, because all my experience in this field is telling me that THIS is what I want to do! :D

Back