• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ultimate Fighting

Motokid said:
The ufc of 10 years ago is completely different than today. They are better sanctioned, better referreed, better trained, and they have a few rules that are strictly enforced. I've seen some older fights and they are brutal. The newer stuff on TV today is marketed very well, yet still has a raw reality that boxing is lacking. Watch Spike TV on Staurday nights from 9:00pm until 11:00pm. They show highlights of fights, and then the rerun of the UFC2 reality show.

You'll dig it. Maybe have some fried ice cream while you watch :D

ooohhhh, you know how to push my buttons!

Maybe I'll check it out. I have seen the trailers. It looks a lot tamer than what I remember watching. I have to admit, that is disappointing! I liked the violence. It's like a train wreck, you don't want to see, but you can't stop looking.

I'll have to watch and see!

I'm thinking the fried ice cream will be more violent than the UFC!

Don't get me wrong....it's not tame. There is blood. Some of the fights get very intense....I think the biggest difference is the submissions are very quick, and the ref's are very aware to not let a bone get broken or joint get seperated.

Plus I think the fighters are all training so much that nobody is really caught off-guard and completely dominated.

I hear the UF2 Reality show that should air at 10:00pm on Spike is really fantastic this week. It's an hour long and the fight is always at the end of the show....so if nothing else try to tune in between 10:30 and 11:00pm to catch the fight. But if you're around a TV don't miss the show that comes on at 9:00pm. That's the real professionals....

Go watch UFC VI. It's the first time that Tank Abbott shows up. He knocks a 400 lb. guy out, and then he mocks him; the guy is on the ground and all his muscles are tensed (because he's out cold), and Tank looks at him and mimics it. Asshole . . . but fun to watch. UFC VI also has the Superfight between Shamrock and Severn.

The fighters now are at a whole new level. Have you seen Andrei Arlovsky fight? Jeez. The guy is an animal.

RitalinKid said:
The fighters now are at a whole new level. Have you seen Andrei Arlovsky fight? Jeez. The guy is an animal.

The guy's who own the belts right now are undoubtedly amazing fighters to watch. True warriors, but also amazing tacticians. Chess players in a unparalleled game of mental and physical competition.

Motokid said:
The guy's who own the belts right now are undoubtedly amazing fighters to watch. True warriors, but also amazing tacticians. Chess players in a unparalleled game of mental and physical competition.

Obviously, I need to check this out, again.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like something I might enjoy.

I hope you saw it last night leckert. That was some of the best 2 hours of UFC I've seen. The Unleashed show at 9:00pm was awesome, and the Ultimate Fighter2 series show had the best fight of the season so far....

This Saturday night (Nov. 5th) is the final show for UF2....

UF1's Diego Sanchez will fight also as part of the spectacle....Leckert dude....watch this guy fight....he is the real deal. I think he has what it takes to possibly hold the title one day. He's an unbelievable fighter. His ground and pound is ferocious.

I'm sure if Kook or RK saw this guy fight they'd say the same thing. Watch if you can.

I watched those two matches between Matt Hughes and Frank Trigg last night. That was incredible. Hughes took a shot to the groin and continued fighting. Then, he friggin won. That's a man.

Oh man....What a Saturday night at the fights....Every one of those fights was top notch. I'd have hated to be a judge on either of the UF2 fights. I really think it could have gone either way for both fights. I saw no definative winner.

Diego Sanchez....wow. Nick Diaz was dominated for most of the fight, and was a poor, poor loser. I'm glad they didn't stop the fight due to Sanchez's cut. What a brawl.

I only wish I could get the pay-per-view special on the 19th. I don't have digital cable....:( :( :(

It's a bit of a drive I'm afraid....but thanks...I'd bring beer and Dorito's too...

I may actually have to seek out a Sports Bar to see if they're gonna show it...:eek:

Yeah, there's a thread in itself: ESPN won't show UFC.

Beer AND Doritos!? Ugh! And you could probably bring some local microbrews too!

If you ever did make the drive, you could buy some 4 oz. grappling gloves, and we'd all get out in the yard and do some ultimate fighting of our own.

While I wrestled in high school....I'm a bit too old for that kinda thing now...I prefer to watch it in the safety of a comfy couch, or a recliner.

You guys can go ahead though...you might need somebody to drive people to the ER.

Did you see the fights? Did you agree with all the decisions?

I think Spike is going to continue showing the "Unleashed" shows....which is a good thing. They should not let this wave of exposure die...

On another note. I've now seen a new Brazilian Ju Jitsu (spelling?) studio open up about 2 miles from my house....it's got me thinking....:)

Motokid said:
On another note. I've now seen a new Brazilian Ju Jitsu (spelling?) studio open up about 2 miles from my house....it's got me thinking....:)
Do it. Don't think. Moto, it's something new. It's an adventure. Do it. Learn something new. Do it.

RitalinKid said:
Do it. Don't think. Moto, it's something new. It's an adventure. Do it. Learn something new. Do it.

Here are my reservations RK.

#1) It's a brand new place, and very small. So the question is how long will it last? If it grows quickly they'll have to move to a bigger place which may be an issue with me. Location is very important. Being new means it also might die quickly too.

#2) Money. I'm already paying for my two kids to take Kenpo Karate at a different place. I may not be able to afford a third monthly payment.

#3) Availability of class times. I haven't been able to catch them when they are open yet to get any info on anything. Are there class times that fit my schedule?

I may have to make a concentrated effort to drive over there soon to answer some of these questions.

Motokid said:
#1) It's a brand new place, and very small. So the question is how long will it last? If it grows quickly they'll have to move to a bigger place which may be an issue with me. Location is very important. Being new means it also might die quickly too.
You should go to a school because of its quality of teaching and the philosophy of the teacher - in regard to the latter I don't necessarily mean anything spiritual, I mean whether the teaching style and emphasis (fighting, style, sparring, technique, etc) match what you are looking for. Small doesn't necessarily mean bad, and may mean more attention to the students. My school has many different kwoons, but ours is just at the university gym - we'd love a dedicated kwoon, but it's not financially feasible. Students really only contribute for the renting of the gym - you'd die laughing if you heard how little I have to pay for the frequency and quality of the teaching I get. This is recreation for our teachers, not a job. Sorry, went off on a tangent there - I'm just very wary of McDojos.

In the kids market, how about you write something like And TeeZee Makes Three? Such books are all the trend these days. Perhaps it could be set at Gaytona.

You miss me don't you? You miss having somebody around that can take a good punch to the head, perhaps an arm bar, rear-naked-choke, a little ground and pound, and still keep coming back for more.

I love you too Stewart. :D

Back