• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Underlining: Addition or Subtraction

If the book isn't yours it's vandalism and I won't buy a second hand book with some one else's notes in it.

The only books I write in are text books and then mostly not. Even if I thought a thing important once, does not mean I will still think it important later. I prefer using a notebook.
I agree. If I think something is significant or interesting, I'll use small post-it/sticky notes. I had a lot if stickies in Gravity's Rainbow!

Sent from my iPhone using Book And Reader

Personally I've tried stickies but I found I keep track of related quotes better if I use a notebook and rewrite them entirely. It also helps stick the info in my head doing that as well.

I don't underline in books as a rule though I sometimes buy a really cheap version of a book if I need to underline things for research, hence I've got at least three copies of Ulysses and I think I also have several of Finnegans Wake. If it's a library book, I use sticky notes and I write things down in a notebook, I only use the stickies to make it easier for myself to locate the lines I need.

This is true...always double check your notations. There's always some imbecile who really didn't understand the text and has margin notes like "Camus might have been referring to a chipmunk in this paragraph?"

I suddenly recall Harry Potter acing potions because of a textbook that was annotated with numerous helpful hints...

Than again, I also recall myself owning a chemistry textbook whose previous owner felt the need to reiterate everything about H-bonds...

Back