• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Unicorns

Not a Jellyfish

I am a lover of serious fantasy. Martin, Goodkind, Tolkien. But I am also a lover of unicorns. Sadly, though, nearly all of the books featuring unicorns are children's books. Not that I have not devoured and loved these thoroughly, I would just like to give my adult brain a bit more of a workout. But I still want unicorns. I'm not really a fan of fluffy fantasy like Mercedes Lackey. Does anyone have any suggestions for unicorn literature that fits the bill?

All I can think of now is Peter S. Beagle's The Last Unicorn, which you've probably read and should read if you haven't, and Diana Peterfreund's Rampant, which is a YA book about killer unicorns. I enjoyed both of them.

I have indeed read The Last Unicorn multiple times since my childhood. It is still quite excellent. I even had the honor of meeting Mr. Beagle at last year's MegaCon. He's a really, really nice guy and talked a lot about his musical endeavors.

Libra: I actually noticed that thread just after creating this post. But I was hoping that the users here might be able to help me sift through the rubble to the titles that are standouts and not YA. Thank you for bring it to my attention, though.

Check out Unicorn Mountain by Michael Bishop. I read it in high school and loved it, and the author actually lives in the town I grew up in. Unfortunately, his son was one of those killed in the Virginia Tech shooting. Here is a little blurb about the book:
When Bo Gavin returns to his cousin Libby's Colorado ranch to die, he joins a self-exiled Ute Indian and his estranged daughter in a desperate quest to save a herd of dying unicorns, visitors from another, magical world. Bishop's gift for thought-provoking speculative fiction infuses this quasi-fantasy with a serious focus.

Not aout Unicorns, but Peter s. Beagle's 'A Fine and Private Place' is a fantastic book. Much, much better than 'The Last Unicorn.'

Have you read it?

I can't think of a novel just now but I suggest the story "Mythological Beast" by Stephen R. Donaldson.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'll add them to my list.

jaybe: I've not read A Fine and Private Place, though I have heard it's quite excellent.

Back