• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Unknown masterpieces

The Doogster

Hi folks

I'd be interested if anyone has any recommendations for unknown literary masterpieces. Here's a short list of my favourites:

1) "When the tree sings" by Stratis Haviaras (1979). Hands down, this is my favourite unknown book. It is apparently out of print, which astounds me. It is set in Greece in WWII, but it is in no way a war novel. It's a coming of age story set to the backdrop of turbulent times. It has a wonderful, naive feeling to it, combined with a lyrical style. Sumptuous.

2) "Le Grand Meaulnes" by Alain-Fourier - trans by Frank Davison (1913). This is a dreamy novel about the transition to adulthood. It is romantic without being a romance novel (yech!). It magically captures that difficult period in all our lives where we struggle to find where we fit into the world.

3) "The Blind Owl" by Sadegh Hedayat- trans by D. Costello (1957). Hedayat was friend of Satre which should give you some idea of what this novel is about. It's like an opium-induced hallucination (not that I have any experience of such). If you liked Hermann Hesse's "Sidharta" you will like this novel.

4) "The Asiatics" by Frederic Prokosch (1935). An exotic, moody and sensual tale of the wanderings of a young American traveller throughout Asia in the early part of the twentieth century.

5) "Greenvoe" by George Mackay Brown (1972). From the pen of the Orkneys' greatest writer, this novel is a paean to the lives of the inhabitants of a small fishing island. It has an understated pastoral quality to its style.

I guarantee that anyone who loves good writing will not be disappointed by the above books.

I'd love to hear of anyone else's unknown masterpieces.

Regards

The Doogster

Wasnt there this exact post a few weeks ago?:confused:

Anyway...Mine is Stillriver, by Andrew Rosenheim.
Brilliant.

Lani

The Doogster said:
3) "The Blind Owl" by Sadegh Hedayat- trans by D. Costello (1957). Hedayat was friend of Satre which should give you some idea of what this novel is about. It's like an opium-induced hallucination (not that I have any experience of such). If you liked Hermann Hesse's "Sidharta" you will like this novel.

Second time he has been mentioned this week; indeed, second time in the lifetime of this board. I bought a used copy from eBay and it should be here on Monday or Tuesday.

The Doogster said:
Hi Lani. Yes, apparently there was. My bad. Can I use the excuse that I'm new here? :) The Doogster

Don't worry, Doogster, there are things one just cannot know, and no harm was done. ;) Also, your contributions were new to us. Thanks for them!

The Doogster said:
2) "Le Grand Meaulnes" by Alain-Fourier - trans by Frank Davison (1913). This is a dreamy novel about the transition to adulthood. It is romantic without being a romance novel (yech!). It magically captures that difficult period in all our lives where we struggle to find where we fit into the world.

Thanks for that, I've got "Le Grand Meaulnes" sitting on my TBR shelf. I've been putting off reading it for a while, perhaps I'll take the plunge now.

Thanks for sharing those, Doogster. I haven't read any of those, so will be off now to have a look :)

Not unknown but certainly very scarce these days it seems:

'Beware of Pity' by Stephan Zweig. Probably my favourite book. (Not just 'cos it's so obscure, I should add...)

Set just before the First World War, it follows a young idealistic career-soldier who gets invited to a party at the house of the local dignitary. There, he asks the daugher of his host to dance, only to find, to his horror, that she is lame. Mortified, he tries over the weeks that follow to make up for his social gaffe... progressively digging himself deeper into a pit that can only have terrible final consequences for all involved.

It's also a real page-turner.

Just to name a few...

The Man without Qualities - Robert Musil
This guy is the German Proust
Petersburg - Andre Bely
And heres the Russian Joyce.
Death of Virgil - Hermann Broch
Excellent book. Written while the author was in a concentration camp.
Street of Crocodiles - Bruno Schulz
Its different...
The Recognitions - William Gaddis
I haven't read this one, but I'm told its an 'underground classic' or something.
The Notebooks of the Young Malte Laurids Brigge - Rainier Maria Rilke
Unbelievably poetic.
Jakob von Guten - Robert Walser
Not my favourite but some consider it a masterpiece.

GreenKnight said:
Not unknown but certainly very scarce these days it seems:

'Beware of Pity' by Stephan Zweig. Probably my favourite book. (Not just 'cos it's so obscure, I should add...)

Thanks GreenKnight. I've read a couple of his other novels. I'll chase that one up. Cheers. The Doogster

Tom said:
Just to name a few...

The Man without Qualities - Robert Musil
This guy is the German Proust
Petersburg - Andre Bely
And heres the Russian Joyce.
Death of Virgil - Hermann Broch
Excellent book. Written while the author was in a concentration camp.
Street of Crocodiles - Bruno Schulz
Its different...
The Recognitions - William Gaddis
I haven't read this one, but I'm told its an 'underground classic' or something.
The Notebooks of the Young Malte Laurids Brigge - Rainier Maria Rilke
Unbelievably poetic.
Jakob von Guten - Robert Walser
Not my favourite but some consider it a masterpiece.

Hi Tom

I have the The Man Without Qualities sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read. I was a bit daunted by its length, but now that you've recommended it I will tackle it shortly. I will also track down those other recommendations. Thanks for your reply. Cheers. The Doogster

Back