• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Update---Opinions?

laboi_22

PART I

DREAMS

For those who dare to dream, there is a whole world to win!

- Dhirubhai Ambani

CHAPTER 1

Panting, screaming, gnashing of teeth, cries in the night. Desperate cries of panic and fatigue. Burning, tingling, crawling, and itching. Brief whiffs of hot burning flesh. Fierce roars of fire starting across the smoky lake. Singeing of hair, gnawing of delicate skin on the inside of putrid oral cavities, and then he appears. Crowns of flames surround multiple heads. Heads so repulsive they smolder one’s eyes with a single glance. Tongues of snakes, red in color split down the middle, hiss as they fall like whips across the hot rocky surface where he stands. Arms moving in smooth peristaltic rhythm six on each side. Digits of dogs. Fingernails of sharp metallic blades. A tail of flames whipping cutting the stagnate smoke that lurks around the lake. Shrill cries from prisoners of his doom faintly resonating around the scorching chamber. Blinding flashes of light, as his mouth opens from the head on the far end of his body.

“Sinner Prepare!”

“Where am I? Where am I?”

Thump, thump, thump.

“Hello, anyone there?” the messenger called out “Hello!” His eyes sprang open. Sweet salt dripped from his upper lip and slid across his tongue. He forced his aching muscles of his abdomen to pull him to a sitting position. Hot breath rushed out of his mouth in rapid successions. It must have been a dream. The soft fabric of the egyptian cotton sheets brushed his forehead and cheeks. The faint smell of sweat flashed from his clothing.

Thump, thump, thump.
“Hello, I’m bout to leave. Yo better open up. I’s gots some important pa’pas fo ya.”

“I’m commin’ hold the **** on!” He yelled across the studio apartment.

He pulled the wooden door open, and was anesthetized by the large black man that stood in his presence.

“Yes?”

“I’s need you to sign on this there line. These be yo divorce pa’pas.”

He scribbled something down on the line where the messenger was pointing. His signature, not even legible to his own eyes, gained a chary stare from the messenger. After the large brown envelope was placed in his hands, he quickly slammed the door in the black man’s face without a thank you or a have a nice day. He tripped over the dirty piles of clothes in the middle of the counterfeit ceramic tile flooring of his makeshift living area. What a living area. One leather wing back chair brown in color and a mismatching ottoman to follow. The swivel office chair squeaked with the pressure of his weight. He listened to the sound of papers shifting, and dust spraying, as the envelope addressed to his apartment hit the desk.

If anyone knew anything about pain, he did. It was exactly six months ago from this day that he moved out into the solitude of the real world. His wife forced him out of his own home. The home, built with his own hands, blood, sweat, and tears. That bitch. She managed to do it. After all those years of saying it, she finally did it. “You best watch your step. I’ll take you for everything you own.” The loathed words were repeated daily in his thoughts. Yep if anyone knew about loosing, hurting, fighting, and pain he did. It was time to move on. Time to show everyone in this wretched town who’s hurting now, and with that thought he did. Oh but not his wife. Even though she fought to rid him from her life, it was something stronger that was really the source of blame. Something so strong, he thought, it could never be penetrated. Until now. The plan he devised was brilliant. A slight tinge of electricity from his brain traveled down his spine and strummed the nerves of his stomach making a trivial gurgle sound as he thought about the plan. He embraced the cold metal of the gel pen, and again scribbled some illegible cursive across the lines that had an X symbolizing where a signature is needed.

Tic, tic, tic the sweat that had formed across his forehead dripped down hitting the white legal sized papers, which bent up around the circles of the clear salty liquid. It was painful. How could the simple act of signing a paper be so painful? How could it hurt so much? He didn’t know, but it did. Maybe because now it was official; it truly was the end. No more cheerful home. No more cheerful children with smiling faces and warm bear hugs. No, now it was really over.

He jumped at the sound of the electronic coffee pot that began it’s normal brewing at seven in the evening. Soon the stark aroma of strong Community Coffee crammed the small space. The space he had called home for six months now. While stirring in two raw sugars without cream, he placed the dirty spoon down it was time to check on his project.

When he rented the small studio, he also rented the adjacent studio even smaller than his own. The old dilapidated building was once the sight of a grand hotel. A hotel built family style with adjourning rooms for larger groups. He explained to the baffled faced landlord that he needed the extra space for an office to finish his present novel. Complete and utter lie of course. Inside the room he boarded up the door that led to the hallway with thick ply-wood. He placed several locks, bolts, and chains on the door inside his studio that gave way to the adjourning room. He lifted his keys from the rack next to his bed, and began the daily ritual of opening and unlocking.

The dust, mold, and mildew from the walls and dingy carpet latched on to his nose hair and blew out with powerful sneezing. The room, lit up only with one yellow glowing light bulb hung from the center of the ceiling, was hazy and hard on the eyes. Several items, strategically placed in all four corners of the room, were covered with large outdoor tarps. Each to be removed in precious time. Yes the process has been slow, but it will all pay off for the best. One item was not covered in the far corner of the room. He staggered slowly with squinting eyes making his way to that sacred corner.

When the boy realized he was in the room, he used his hands, bound by leather to the top of the “torture pole”, to shake back and forth ferociously. His words, or grunts rather, were garbled by the leather gag he covered his mouth with. He stood tall and lean. He used his digital camera to capture pictures of Brandon’s emaciating image that looked back at him.

“Now, now, young one don’t cry.” He spoke calmly with a sense of concern in his voice. The boy struggled more. A few tears burned their way down the delicate contours of his face.

“Oh I get it, you’re cold. How bout this, I’ll cover you if you don’t struggle anymore.” The boys sparkling blue eyes winked with approval. He placed a large dusty fleece cover around the boy’s shoulders. He admired his naked body. Yes he loved women, but he still had a passion for boys in their twenties. It reminded him of his young adult life. Full of exuberance, fresh young mind making life long choices, which at the time seemed only like everyday choices. Not giving much thought to how it may affect you the rest of your life. He used a sharp object, from the table across the so called torture chamber, and made small holes in the skin of the boy’s chest. Once again he struggled, pulling the leather restraints side to side, as he pricked his pale skin.

“Don’t do that!” He yelled. “Did I not make myself clear? You must not want that blanket hun…?”

Using his thumb, and the dark red blood, that fell from the pricks in his skin, he painted the sign of the cross. Up down and side to side. He recited in his head. In nomine patrie, Et fili, Spiritus sancti Amen.

“Pray with me boy.” He began the daily prayer “Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace; Where there is hatred, let me sow love; Where there is injury” He kissed the painful holes in the boy’s chest blood smeared across his lips. The warm taste of rust and liquorish tickled the tips of his taste buds. “pardon; Where there is doubt, faith; Where there is despair, hope; Where there is darkness, light; And where there is sadness, joy.” He knelt at Brandon’s feet, head bowed speaking more slowly now “Oh, divine mater, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love; for it is in giving that we receive, it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen”

Obvious question - What was in the box?

Okay, I really like the concept. We see so little male rape in mainstream media these days! Very creative (I hope!).

Technically, though, I found it hard to read. Painful, at times. While I admire your attempts at unique descriptions, I found them to be creatively cliche.

Things seem to "make their way" alot. I counted four instances of things "making their way" or "Pounding their way". There has to be a better, and more interesting, way to say this.

You also have things "make a (insert gerund here) sound" quite a bit. Not sure about the grammatical validity of this style, but I am sure that it is not fun to read.

One thing that struck me was, in an attempt to 'paint the picture' you refer to raindrops as making a sound "comparable to raw meat when dropped into hot grease". Not sure that this is possible (have never heard a raindrop actually sizzle from hitting pavement), and it detracts from the credibility of the story. Metaphors are awesome, but this is stated as a fact. Making it a metaphor would certainly be my recommendation.

I really like the idea, and think you are pretty creative. And, really, who am I to criticize another's work, but without honesty we would all live in a world of delusion.

My recommendations would be to get a copy of "Funk and Wagnalls Guide to Style", remove cliches such as "knife-like eyes" from your brain, and give this another stab! (so to speak!) :D

I have to agreewith leckert. It's pretty much the same comments from this thread - too many cliches, tiring repetition, and writing with no feeling; no dread, no horror, etc.

Actually, I'll take it further.

The first line is confusing:

The stop sign, at the corner of Oak and Vine Streets dense with long weeds and vines shook violently back and forth as the wind pounded its way through the city.

Is the stop sign dense with weeds and vines or the corner of the two streets? What's the comma for? It shouldn't be there and it interrupts the flow - there should be a comma after 'Streets' and after 'vines' to create parenthesis.

Of course, the problem with saying the wind 'was pounding through the streets' is that, once again, you are telling and not showing. Instead of saying what the wind is doing show us what the wind is doing so that we can make our own deducements about what the wind is doing. So, the wind in this instance is strong, and what does strong wind do? It blows hard. Let's see litter lifted into the air and leaves blown from trees. Let's hear the stop sign creaking every time it sways and let's hear the leaves in the trees rustling, the wind's roar, and vehicles beeping as stressed drivers make their way along the dark, wet, and windy road. Let's feel the sting of the wind cracking off our earlobes, tugging at our hair, and the rain pelting off our face.

The previous paragraph looks at one line in your narrative although it can be thought about for every line. Don't tell us; just show things happening and we'll understand for ourselves.

Work through the sentences and see what could be happening to illustrate what you are saying is happening. The more you think about what you are saying the page becomes more realistic, the narrative stronger, and your story gripping.

leckert said:
(and where can I get one of those cock cages?) :D

I made this for you. :rolleyes:

cock-cage.gif

Thanks guys

Thanks for all the information and the time you guys spent pointing out things that needs changing. I am working on showing not telling but that seems akward to me and I don't really get it but I'll try. Thanks again!

Justin

I've never posted my 2nd chapter of this story before---tell me what you think!

CHAPTER 2

Saturday Morning

Mrs. Brenda Dupis, of Dupis’s Grocery, looked anxiously up at the clock on the wall. It was 9:30. No Brandon in sight. Today was the big spring sell in March. She needed all of her workers on time, and ready to work. The store would soon be filled with early morning shoppers. So many, that it would be almost difficult, maybe even impossible to walk from isle to isle. Everyone in the town knew when the annual sell occurred and, stocked up for the season, on fresh smoked meats, and other Cajun specialties, hard to find anywhere else. It was a town tradition. She moved her thick mess of stringy slightly salt and pepper hair from her face, and placed her hand over her forehead. I can’t believe this is happening. Not today. I know I warned everyone about being tardy today, she thought, as she took a seat on the high stool behind one of the counters.

She turned, when she heard the loud chirp of the chime on the door, sound. Julie walked in late as always. Her red hair bound in an elastic band, her eyes still puffy from the night’s sleep, and her clothes slightly disheveled. She placed the green smock with the Dupis’s emblem on the front, which everyone hated so much, around her thin waist and greeted Mrs. Brenda with a “hello sorry I’m late. Could you please tie me up?” Mrs. Brenda remained quiet and did as Julie asked. Even though she was late it was good to see her face since no one else bothered to come in today.

“Well for a while there I thought I’d have to work the sell all day by myself.” Brenda said.

“Sorry Mrs. Brenda. My children were sick all night. Where is everyone else?”

“I don’t know. I thought I made my self clear when I asked everyone to be here on time. No one ever listens to me. I don’t even know why I bother.”

“Where’s Brandon? He’s never late.”

“I don’t know. It’s very odd. I figured just because I said to be here on time, everyone would make it a point not to, just out of spite.”

“Well we love you no matter what Mrs. Brenda.” Julie said while she placed the hair net around her head. Julie worked in the deli area in the back. Where hot Cajun foods were prepared, and bought out by the locals as fast as Julie put the entrees on the line.

“Sorry I can’t chat Mrs. Brenda there are customers waiting.” She turned without another word, and walked down the isle to the back of the store.

Several regulars walked in and grabbed shopping carts. Mrs. Brenda sat still and greeted them with a terse smile on her face. She lit her cigarette, and punched some codes into the cash register counting cash, and placing the fives, tens, twenties, and ones in its appropriate slot. As more customers piled in, she opened the black binder besides the register of the first lane, and looked up Brandon’s home and cell numbers. She dialed with anger in every press of the phone’s buttons. No answer. What’s going on? He’s never late, she thought.

As 10:00 quickly approached, she had checked out several customers, and her troubled mind wondered where the hell Brandon could be. Her anger turned to worry. She knew Peggy Conner was out of town for the next few days. Brandon had made mention of that yesterday before she left her office in the back for the day, and told him bye in passing. She picked up the phone on the wall next to the register and dialed 1-9, the extension to the deli in the back. Julie answered out of breath.

“How are things going Julie?” Brenda asked.

“Everything’s fine. What about up front?”

“Well it’s busy Julie. I’m worried about Brandon. I can’t reach him on either of his phones.”

“That’s odd. Mrs. Brenda, if would ease your mind, I can call his fiancée Carrie. She might know where his is.”

“You have her number?”

“Yeah I’ve got it somewhere in the phonebook on my cell phone. I’ll call in a minute.”

“Okay let me know what you find out.”

“Okay Mrs. Brenda.

Julie lined up the fresh casing on the long metal tube, and feed some of the homemade boudin she just finished cooking, into the machine and turned the crank. When she finally finished with the first batch, she wiped her hands on her smock, and stooped down to get her bag under the table. She fished to the bottom of her bag, until she felt her cell phone, and pulled it out. She looked up Carrie’s number and used the phone on the wall to make the call. After three rings a deep voice came on over the line.

“Hi Mr. Fisher is Carrie home? This is Julie over at Dupis’s.”

“Sure hold on a moment.” He said.

Julie could hear Carrie’s father calling her name loudly. After a few moments Carrie’s raspy voice came on over the line.

“Hey Carrie, its Julie at Dupis’s, I am calling for Mrs. Brenda. We can’t find Brandon. He didn’t show up today for work, and we’re worried about him. Have you heard from him today?”

“No I talked to him briefly last night after he got off of work. He called me to let me know he made it home safely. He said he was going to bed because he had to be at work early the next morning.”

“Well he still isn’t here, and we’re worried because he’s never late.”

“Did you call him at home Julie?”

“Mrs. Brenda said she did but got no answer.”

“Okay well let me run over and see what’s going on. I hope everything is okay.”

“I’m sure he’s okay Carrie. He must have overslept.”

“I’m sure that’s all. I’ll let you know as soon as I get to his house.”

“Okay Carrie good luck. Tell him we really need him here.”

“Okay thanks for calling Julie.”

“Not a problem.”

Carrie Fisher rolled around in the bed trying to replace the phone in its cradle. Worry filled her thoughts. She sat up on the side of the bed, and ran her soft delicate hands through her blonde hair to smooth out the bumps from the night of sleep. She walked over to her dresser drawer on the other side of her room, and pulled on a pair of wrinkled sweats. Sitting back in her bed, she pulled on her running shoes without socks, and headed out into the hall.

She passed her father Dr. Jim Fisher, the town’s only orthodontist, sitting quietly in his easy chair watching CNN. Her big green eyes were blood shot. Her face had concern written all over it. Dr. Jim stopped her in her tracks.

“Is everything okay Carrie?”

“Well I’m not sure. I’m going over to Brandon’s house. A girl from Dupis’s called this morning to tell me he hadn’t made it to work. I’m sort of worried about him. He’s never late.”

“Well I’m sure everything is okay Carrie.”

“Yeah I’m sure dad.” She said while walking out of the massive front door of the two story mansion that the Fisher’s inhabited.

“Be careful.” Dr. Jim yelled, as she slammed the door shut.

She slid her small framed body, into her new mustard colored BMW convertible, that her father just paid cash for. Inside she relished the fact that it still contained the “new” smell even after two months of owning it. She turned the key, and held down the button on her console that forced the top down. She grabbed her Versace shades, and covered her eyes from the sun. The gravel at the end of the driveway flew up, as she punched the accelerator.

After a ten minute drive, to the other side of town, she reached the Conner’s residence. The house looked the same; all the lights still out. No one stirred inside. He must still be sleeping, she thought, as she pulled into the double drive way. She didn’t even bother to open the car door to get out. She jumped over and landed hard on the cement under her feet. She peeped into the living room window and saw nothing. She made her way over to the front door, and began pounding on it with all her might. The Conner’s had no doorbell so she had to knock. Using the knocker and her hands she tried to make as much noise as possible in order to wake him up. No answer. She called out as loud as she could “Brandon” still no answer from inside.

She walked around the back of the house, and found Brandon’s room window. She banged on it as hard as she could still calling out his name loudly “Brandon.” She waited a moment still no movement. He’s never this hard to wake up. Oh God something’s wrong, she thought getting more anxious and fearful now. She then remembered the back door. It never did lock. No one locked their doors here in this neighborhood it was safe. Everyone knew each other. With a forceful push of the wooden door in the back it opened and she walked in. “Brandon wake up. You’re late for work. Come on get up!” She shouted while walking through the house. She felt the vibration of each step as she moved steadily.

She reached inside her Prada bag, and gripped her cell phone into her left hand afraid that she may have to use it. She approached Brandon’s door and knocked. Still no answer. “Brandon?” She pushed opened the door. After one glimpse at the sight that she overlooked, she screamed as loud as she could. Tears rapidly exploded from her eyes rolling down the delicate features of her face. “Oh my God no, Brandon, Oh my God!” She walked over to the bed where Brandon’s lifeless body lay. She put her hands over his forehead. As soon as she felt the coldness on her palm she knew there was no question he was dead. “Who could have done this to you, Oh my God, no?” She ran over to the bathroom down the hall after kissing his boyishly looking and now peaceful face. She sat on the floor next to the toilet while the urge to vomit overtook her senses. After an excruciating barf, she dialed with her hands shaking 9-1-1.

by "showing and not telling", what Stewart and I are trying to say is that you may want to try being less "direct". I am going to go against my better judgement here and use an example.

You could write:

Johnny's face was red with his embarrassment.

Technically, there is nothing wrong with that, and it even has a little style. But this is telling what is happening. A sometimes more effective approach might be:

Johnny flashed hot in his cheeks, and nervous in his voice. He wanted to be somewhere else.

This doesn't say anywhere that Johnny was embarrassed, or that his face turned red, but the reader sees this, and feels the heat, and the uncomfortable twitch in Johnny's voice, and they remember having felt that way themselves.

I am going to include an excerpt from the novel I am working on to help me demonstrate my approach...

He nudged her door open a crack and stuck his head into the room. Wet, warm lethargy attacked him. His nostrils clenched the salty sting, and he could taste the air. He tried to breathe through his mouth in short, shallow gulps.

My wife read this a few months ago. I asked her tonight what she remembered most about it, and she said "the smell of her room".

Dude, she remembered the smell!

That, in my opinion, is what Stewart and I are trying to say.

Stick with it man, you are twisted enough to come up with some cool plot ideas, you just to a little refinement, I think.

Okay. I'm gonna read the second chapter now.

should be good!

Laboi_22,

Well I read, and spent about 20 minutes commenting on, your last posting...

I hit a wrong button somewhere, and dumped it.

DOH!

I will try to recap what I said:

I am noticing a lot of comma errors. A grammar guide would help your writing a lot.

Also, you have Carrie doing a lot of things "...as (insert adverb here) as she could..."
(I think she knocks on the window as hard as she could, she yells for Brandon as loud as she could, etc) You can think of much more descriptive way to say these things. Some similies would work well here?

I really think you are missing some great opportunities in your dialogue. This is a part of my writing where I give myself permission to "go nuts", and I am not feeling it here. People do not speak in complete sentences with perfect enunciation and diction. they just don't. Your story is set in Cajun Louisana! This is an awesome opportunity to use your dialogue to set the mood, and add MUCH flavor to the story. Listen to how people talk when they are in a casual situation. How do you talk to your friends? Don't you sometimes drop your 'g's? I know I say 'nuthin' sometimes! Use colloquialisms, and regional patterns in your dialogue.

There is a line between 'real' speach, and 'stereotypical' speach, though, so be careful no to create a caricature of the language!

I'm diggin' the story, though! Can't wait to see more!

Thanks for sharing, and please keep it coming!

Thank you so much

Thanks so much for the great insight. I couldn't for the life of me even thought I've read many books over my life span understand or get how the hell was I suppose to make my characters tell the story without using dialouge and sticking with 3rd person POV. The examples really helped a lot and I'm going to using them while editing my story.

I sometimes struggle with character scripts becaused down here in southern louisiana not as many people as you all may think speak improperly. I surley don't. Yes maybe the older uneducated generation but not Carrie she comes from an affluent family and is in her twentys so she shouln't speak the "cajun slang". I also know how much Louisianaians hate when our dialect is mocked ie Water Boy. Everyone here hates that movie. I don't want to make our people sound distasteful and ignorant. But anyway I will work on it. Carrie is just a minor character. The main character I will work on more would be the Detective Goldman he's older and would likely speak the slang. So I'll work on that for sure.

Thanks again for all the help and below I have posted my next chapter just for your reading pleasure. Like I have said before I have a great story to tell I just need help telling it and i appriciate all you do.!!

Justin

Inside the Evangeline Parish Sheriff’s office the phones rang off the hook. The dispatchers sat professionally at their desks speaking the constant lingo of law enforcement to the patrol guys in the field. The radios cracked and chirped with static on and off with each remark spoken over the handsets. The call came in. Mary, the dispatch supervisor, answered the young new deputy’s call.

“NP 107 to central”

“Go head 107”

“Yeah I’m 10-97 at 112 Norward in the Oaks. 10-40 ma’am I have a 187.”

“10-4 Sir right away.”

Detective Don Goldman made his way past dispatch, and headed straight for his office. Rita Smith, his desk clerk, sat with a baffled look across her face, as Detective Goldman passed by. He was middle aged, and as with many men in law enforcement of that age, he carried around about one hundred pounds of excess weight. His stomach was big and round, but he carried himself well. He wore a plain, white, starched, long sleeved shirt with pressed pleated kaki Dockers. He also wore a gun belt around his size 41 waist. He always wore his black blazer to finish up his outfit. His shoes were always the same brown Nordstrom loafers, and had been for many years. He had aged well enough, but his face had been through many days in the sun patrolling the city. Crow’s feet could be easily spotted around his small demeaning brown eyes with rugged lashes. His hair, dark black, with premature grays was always combed with a part to the right side of his head.

“Hello Rita. How goes it this morning?” He said while passing Rita’s desk.

“Detective you’ve got to take these calls. There has been a homicide of a young Conner boy in the Oaks.”

He stood silently for a moment contemplating what Rita had just said. After all these years in law enforcement, and as a patrol man himself, he knew that sometimes in the heat of the moment, calls that come in from the field are not always what they are cracked up to be at first.

“Are you sure Rita?” He asked gently. Rita always exaggerated things to the fullest extent. Not much went on in the way of heavy crime in Ville Platte, and any chance for juicy gossip, he knew would set Rita and the rest of the office off in a mad frenzy.

“I’m sure Detective. In fact I have the Sheriff himself on the line for you. Would you like me to transfer it to your office sir?”

“Yeah Rita do that please, oh and if you could be so kind…”

“I know bring you some coffee.” Rita interrupted.

“Thanks Rita.”

He closed the door to his office quietly. His large oak desk sat in the bare room alone. The desk faced the door when walking in. Several file cabinets sat behind the desk along with a tall leather chair. The floor had old torn tile in a diamond pattern. The office reeked of stale smoke. The desktop was hard to see. Papers and folders stacked in messy piles covered it. Several family photos sat on the corner of his desk. His wedding photos and pictures of his children from the last Christmas were covered with a yellow film of tobacco. Rita was right something was really going on here, he thought as the phone rang from behind his desk.

“Yes sir”

“Don we have a really bad situation on our hands here.”

“What’s going on sir?”

“This morning Peggy Conner’s son Brandon was found dead in his bedroom by his fiancé Dr. Jim Fisher’s daughter Carrie. She made a call to 911 and Mary dispatched a deputy to the scene.”

“Which deputy?”

“Deputy Timothy Brown.”

“Oh shit Wayne he’s a rookie.”

“I know, but thankfully when Mary got the call after dispatching Deputy Brown she called me. She said she tried your phone, but you didn’t answer.”

“I must have been in the shower.”

“Anyway, Mary put me through to the deputy at the scene and I led him through the process. He protected the scene. I advised him not to allow anyone else to come in. The scene was already somewhat contaminated by the girl who found him.”

“What’s it looking like Wayne?”

“Horrible. I haven’t seen anything in all my years this atrocious. I need you here to work the scene with me ASAP.”

“I’ll be on my way. Just give me the address.”

“112 Norward in the Oaks.”

“I know where that is I’ll be by shortly.”

“Alright. And Don….”

“Yeah.”

“Prepare yourself.” Detective Don Goldman hung up the phone and hurriedly punched the intercom to call Rita.

“Yes Sir this is Rita. What can I do for you Detective?”

“I need my unit prepared right away Rita and hurry.”

“I’m on it sir.”

“Oh and Rita call the Lieutenant on duty for patrol and tell him to meet me in the front.”

“Yes sir.”

Outside yet another young, fully decked out, in his uniform, deputy had rounded up the detective’s unit and drove it around the front of the building in the horseshoe driveway. At the same time Goldman’s unit arrived the Lieutenant’s unit pulled up behind. Goldman saluted the young deputy as if he were in the United States Army. The young deputy repeated the action, and got out of Goldman’s unit. The Lieutenant also stepped out of his unit and approached Goldman. Lieutenant Brad Young had been with the Sheriff’s office for over ten years. His experience in patrol was remarkable. However his experience with homicide investigation was somewhat limited. He was young and good looking, freshly shaved face, soft boyish features, and rather large green eyes. His hair was fixed with the current times spiked up in the front, and gelled with a distinct messy look throughout. His uniform as always was starched and tight. Not meaning tight as in clung to his body, but sharp and clean.

“Hello detective how are you?”

“Not that well Lieutenant. No doubt you heard about the homicide over in the Oaks right?”

“Yes sir. My deputy filled me in with the details.”

“Your crew has preformed remarkably as well as your dispatch supervisor.”

“Thank you sir.”

“Now down to the reason I called you over. I need your help at the scene. I need your opinion and your wisdom.”

“Thank you sir, but you’re the detective. I don’t have any experience with homicide investigations. Why would you need me?”

“I like the way you handle your men and yourself for that matter. Now you have orders. Follow me.”

“Yes Sir.”

Detective Goldman climbed into his unit. His back tires peeled out in the gravel. The Lieutenant followed close behind. Goldman took several deep breaths then lit up a cigarette. I can do this, he repeated to himself, as he drove over to the Oaks.

Haven't read your last post yet, but wanted to make sure I stated my point correctly about dialogue...

I certainly think it is a BAD IDEA to "dumb down" your speach. I am not referring to making your characters sound like red-neck buffoons, but only to make their speech patterns believable.

Some people would say "I cannot believe what I am hearing". If it is consistent your character's personality to be very formal and proper (translate "stiff"), then that is exactly what that character should say.

Most people, though, (at least in my experience) would say "I can't believe what I'm hearin'". And, if it is consistent with your character to be a 'regular joe', working class, casual kind of person, then his speech should be casual, 'regular joe' speech.

Stephen King, IMHBAO, is one of the best dialogue writers I have read. He deals with the Maine dialect, and does so pretty well, I think. He also touches this subject in his book "On Writing". I highly recommend that book to you.

Okay, I'm going to go read your latest post, now.

leckert said:
He nudged her door open a crack and stuck his head into the room. Wet, warm lethargy attacked him. His nostrils clenched the salty sting, and he could taste the air. He tried to breathe through his mouth in short, shallow gulps.
I still refuse, to my better judgement, to critique anything written by Laboi. And I won't go into that now, but I will critique the sample of the novel excerpt you provided.

A few concerns editors will cringe over (much like the smell you described for us): if he nudged her door open a crack and was able to stick his head through, it is either a large crack (which is somewhat oxy-moron), or the man has a very tiny head; gulp is a verb usually parallelled [see Martin, I spelled the word with 4 Ls this time] with swallowing, which one rarely does with air.

Leckert, free free to start your own thread in this "Writers' Showcase" area. We'd love to offer critiques and insight... it's what we do. Great description here.

His head fits through the crack because he is 10. I don't like 'crack' either, too cliche, and I can do better. Thanks.

You can gulp air, though... and I think gulping better describes trying to take in without smelling it. It implies that the air is coming in entirely through the mouth...(IMHBAO)

Thanks for the input!

Thanks sirmyk for not reading and offering opinions about my work. That is so mighty mature and nice of you. Thanks again!

Justin

laboi_22 said:
Thanks sirmyk for not reading and offering opinions about my work. That is so mighty mature and nice of you. Thanks again!

Justin
Oh, I read it alright... that's why I chose not to comment. If one has nothing nice to say... [fill in the rest]

laboi_22 said:
Again a great show of your maturity. Tell me how bad my work is I can take it. Can you dish it out?
You opened the can of worms, so here you go:

I would gladly dish out some negative criticism if English were not your primary language. If your primary language happened to be French or Danish, and English set second or third, I would understand, and would offer you my support. I would also understand if you recently graduated elementary and were moving on to high school. I have stumbled through many of the threads you have created; most happen to be duplicates of others pleading: “how do I get published?”, or “critique me, please!” Begging gets you nowhere on these forums. I have also seen the website you have listed in your profile, and have tripped over my tongue numerous times trying to untwist the sentences you construct in your wonderful blogs. But I can’t criticize the blog. The blog is a way for us writers to vent, to release that steam valve we have attached to our necks to keep our heads from exploding. You need some comma help. You need to spend some time drinking with a bitchy Irish grammarian to force some structure into your writings. The second paragraph of your novel excerpt / prologue left me speechless, and not in a pleasing sort of way. A day's work it would take to clean up some of the postings I have read. I don't have that kind of time, nor do I wish to waste it; I’d rather be writing, or reading, or picking my nose and wiping on the screen to cover up some of the garbage I see before me. I have read too many threads (not only yours) on this forum of those offering criticism, and it seems that often the one taking the criticism ends up retorting with hatred or negative comments, such as calling another immature. I won’t mention any names.

No hard feelings, but you asked for the above dish; sorry if it was served cold. That’s why I usually choose not to criticize certain pieces of writing I dislike.

Back