• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Upton Sinclair: The Jungle

passiontoread

Has anyone here ever read The Jungle, I am currently reading it, and think it is an okay book.. I would like to hear others opinions of the novel.

I liked it. My family had to go through an experience of moving to America also so I had an easy time relating. I won't spoil the end, but it kind of made Upton Sinclair more discretable. The book is better if you don't read the last chapter.

I liked it a lot. One line in particular stands out, about pulling out the flowers of the garden of his soul.. something like that. I agree that the last chapter with all the innuendo kind of killed it, but it was good nonetheless.

This is a great work, it was the one that I suggested as to what should be included in a curriculum for every student to read. This book is largely responsible for the signing of the 1902 Pure Food and Drug Act. Allegedly, the president was about to put a piece of sausage in his mouth when he encountered the part in which an "accident" occured and he asked for the document and signed it on the spot.

Yes, he does get ideologically carried away towards the end of the book, but most people who have a vision, who care about the world, and who are very creative, are usually the most vocal and rabid of their given time. That is no crime-that is real living IMHO. :cool:

i had to read it for school. it really is a great piece of literature b/c its based on reality AND its easy to read :p i also related to it on a certain level, being an immigrant myself. my grandmother definatly slaved away in shitty factory conditions.. her eyesight shot to hell b/c of it, and i guess its also why she ended up being obese (hours of sitting and sewing for textiles) and she ended up having a stroke...

its harder for immigrants to establish a successful life here than people think. especally when you come here not knowing a word of english

Back