• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vampire lore altered, for better or for worse? Lets decide.

MarkT

dance.gif
Spoiler alert on the book Whispers by Aram Keledjian.
dance.gif

The author takes a crack at the vampire lore in his own way. The writing style was impressive, but the way he changes the very essence of Vampire does not work for me 100 %. The reason why I chose to write about this is because I read the book a second time, and as much as I want to love it, these key points are not sitting with me all that well.

grumble.gif
ponder.gif
banghead.gif
points to look at and discuss:

a. vampires have magic

b. they do have a soul

c. they come from another world, or at least their powers do

d. there are more than one type of vampire, traditional and the kind in Whispers

e. a demon or some crazy creature within like "naruto"

f. vampires cannot fly

powers can combine and posses their own magical attributes, this blew my mind

argue.gif
beerchug.gif

Id like to get more minds involved on this. Would this be something that takes away from the story, or is this something that you wouldn't mind as much as I do.

Attachments

• post-3193-0-42710600-1464738224.jpg
    post-3193-0-42710600-1464738224.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 1
I haven't read Whispers, but a good debate is always welcome.

a. Traditional magic is considered some kind of wisdom or skill that anybody can learn, unlike the new witch bloodline thing, so it's possible for vampires to learn magic if they pursue it or if they have witch's bloodline for the modern magic. I wonder what would happen if vampires drunk the blood of special bloodlines?

Magic is considered a hidden knowledge, nearly forgotten, and learning it, just like math and science, requires talent and hard work, not anybody can do it. Because of that and the inconveniences and dangers it has when applying it, it was mostly abandoned by humanity.
You can easily become a sorcerer by learning Arabic, Persian, Latin, Hebrew or etc and reading old books easily found in third world countries if you have acquaintances. BTW, magic just like alchemy (now called chemistry) is not some kind of unknown or otherwordly thing, it's just a way of applying science and technology that's forgotten now. These days, people mostly learn magic to curse others creating a headache for many religious scholars, especially muslims as they openly admit the existence of magic.

b. Well, most sources state vampires are undead creatures. They are basically a smarter, cleaner version of zombies if I may say so myself, so they are generally considered soulless. The no shadow or mirror reflection is based on them being soulless. They would't be vampires if they had souls.

c. Beings like vampires were originally recognized as cursed creatures by some kind of demon, god, entity, witch, etc. So it's acceptable to say their powers are "otherwordly:D". BTW, there have been moments in which a guy dies with huge amounts of regret and revives as a vampire. Emotions pulling him back to the world usually partially conflicts with b.

d. I don't understand this. You need to elaborate that.

e. vampires are already considered soulless, adding that kind of entity (with no body) equals adding a soul. Unless we somehow accept their craziness when craving as demons controlling them.

f. Right now (this era), most vampires except cartoonic and some odd ones can't fly. Vampires capable of flight were popular in count Dracula's era.
Vampires are cursed to look like bats, not be like them.

Last edited:
Obviously, vampire lore has changed a lot since the era of Dracula to the present time of Buffy and Angel, Twilight, and Sookie Stackhouse.
Its interesting to note that as far back as the 1930s some people were taking issue with depiction of vampires that deviated from the Stoker motif. It happened with one of Robert E. Howard's best stories, The Horror From The Mound, someone writing an essay complaining he did not follow the traditional drscription of vsmpirism. As he also did in one of his best Solomon Kane stories, Wings In The Night.

Back