• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

various questions about books and reading

spork947

hello. I just stumbled across this site and had a few questions about books and reading in general.

Some books I have a hard time comprehending or maybe they are just to dull to pull me into it. I read the hobbit and enjoyed it but I had to read over a few areas then sit back and think about the scenery to really get the picture in my mind of the surroundings. Then I started LOTR volume one and gave up about a 1/4 of the way due to complete boredom which was making it very difficult to understand. Is this normal for people that havent read a lot of novels or do I have a problem comprehending books? maybe its just a attention problem?

Sometimes I can pick up a book and the pages go by like a blur then I am done and retain almost every piece of information in it. I read the xmen 2 novel before the movie came out and it felt like I had already seen the movie 20 times by reading the book before.

I really want to start reading books regularly. I spend to much time watching tv and being on the computer. I just started reading Abarat and enjoying it so far. What books would you suggest to get me started? i like science fiction and adventure but will try just about anything.

Also how do you store your books? even a casual reader could probably over flow a book shelf in a few years. I was thinking rubbermaid totes would be good but I have seen paperbacks get bent up if not properly packed.

Do you prefer hardcover or paperback? I prefer hardcover because the text is easier to read and more comfortable for reading at a desk. Also they seem to last much longer.

How well do public libraries stock fiction novels and the new releases? That could save quite a bit of money and what I really want to keep I can purchase in hardcover. Or it might be easier just buying used books online.

My next question is how close are ebooks to becoming mainstream? I really love the idea of being able to read a book electronically and just click a button to turn the pages. Also being able to keep the book archived on the computer is very nice. The things I didnt like last time i checked was there is no standard format yet and a standard book is much better on the eyes than even the best reader or monitor. Last time i checked readers were 150-300 dollars which is rediculous.

thanks in advance!
Spork

I consider myself an avid reader, but there are many books that I've lost interest in or found just too boring to read. It's normal. It doesn't mean that the book is bad though - you might not be interested because of your mood or because it's at a different maturity level than you. Waiting a couple years will change your perspective on everything (and you'll be surprised at how much you hate the books that you love now)

It's good that you want to read. Believe me, in the quest for trying to read more, that's half the battle. All you have to do is be persistent about it and not give up.

Paperbacks or hardcovers? I like paperbacks myself because they're so handy and also a lot cheaper.

My books are all stored in bookshelves. When I fill one, I save up and buy another. $35-$50 from Zellers is a decent investment.

I think that ebooks are a novelty that will (hopefully) die off. You can't read under the covers with a computer, tote it around to read during the day or proudly display it to all your friends. I've tried reading ebooks before, and I've yet to finish any of them.

Rant over. *whew* :D

First of all: Welcome on the boards! Nice to have you here!!! :D

spork947 said:
hello. I just stumbled across this site and had a few questions about books and reading in general.

Some books I have a hard time comprehending or maybe they are just to dull to pull me into it. I read the hobbit and enjoyed it but I had to read over a few areas then sit back and think about the scenery to really get the picture in my mind of the surroundings. Then I started LOTR volume one and gave up about a 1/4 of the way due to complete boredom which was making it very difficult to understand. Is this normal for people that havent read a lot of novels or do I have a problem comprehending books? maybe its just a attention problem?
I had problems with LOTR too. I finished all 3 books just because I saw the movie (the first part) and wanted to know the end. It happens often that I give up because they are so dull. I try to finish classics (like Dickens, Austen etc.) although they are boring (these are good books but for me they are hard work).

Sometimes I can pick up a book and the pages go by like a blur then I am done and retain almost every piece of information in it. I read the xmen 2 novel before the movie came out and it felt like I had already seen the movie 20 times by reading the book before.
These are the best!

I really want to start reading books regularly. I spend to much time watching tv and being on the computer. I just started reading Abarat and enjoying it so far. What books would you suggest to get me started? i like science fiction and adventure but will try just about anything.
Try all books by Douglas Adams , I Am Legend by Richard Matheson and Ice Station by Matthew Reilly.

Also how do you store your books? even a casual reader could probably over flow a book shelf in a few years. I was thinking rubbermaid totes would be good but I have seen paperbacks get bent up if not properly packed.
I love to look at my books and think of all the great stories so a big bookshelf is the only option for me.

Do you prefer hardcover or paperback? I prefer hardcover because the text is easier to read and more comfortable for reading at a desk. Also they seem to last much longer.
I prefer paperback, because they are cheaper and more flexible (I carry them around in my bag etc.).

How well do public libraries stock fiction novels and the new releases? That could save quite a bit of money and what I really want to keep I can purchase in hardcover. Or it might be easier just buying used books online.
Normally the libraries are pretty good with fiction and new books. I couldn't afford to buy all my books.

My next question is how close are ebooks to becoming mainstream? I really love the idea of being able to read a book electronically and just click a button to turn the pages. Also being able to keep the book archived on the computer is very nice. The things I didnt like last time i checked was there is no standard format yet and a standard book is much better on the eyes than even the best reader or monitor. Last time i checked readers were 150-300 dollars which is rediculous.
Most of the classics you can read for free now. There are a lot of sites where you can find them (Project Gutenberg etc) but I can't stand it. Reading on the monitor hurts my eyes and I can't concentrate or relax at all.

I hope I could help you.
Cheers :D :D :D

spork947 said:
Some books I have a hard time comprehending or maybe they are just to dull to pull me into it.

I read the xmen 2 novel before the movie came out and it felt like I had already seen the movie 20 times by reading the book before.

I really want to start reading books regularly. I spend to much time watching tv and being on the computer.

1) Not all books are as immediate as others...

2) 'X-men 2' is less of a novel and more of a comic.

3) Watching too much TV will undoubtably shorten your attention span - realising you have a problem is the first step...

4) Do some regular exercise to combat the above problem, then the reading will come easier...

Good luck...

spork947 said:

OK, shoot!

I was really bored by LOTR as well. I had to try 5 times before I actually was able to read it all. I kept trying because it was such a well regarded book and I wanted to be open minded and try to see what the fuss was about. I came away still bored and feeling that the book itself is over hyped. Still, each to their own, eh? :)

I think it's just the nature of the book and not your problem with compredending it.

Although, I do think that people that read more have a much better attention span and can focus much better. I think that the more you read the better you will focus on the books you are reading.

Yeah, books are that way. Sometimes you books are very easy to read because they don't contain a lot of ideas or they are written in a very simple style. That's not to say they are not good books but just written that way.

Some books are very dense with long complex sentences, big words, lots of ideas in them and so they are harder to read.

I think the IMPORTANT point is that you should read books because you want to and not because you feel you should. Books are not like going on a diet or starting jogging. You should do it because you love doing it and for no other reason for that. If not for that reason you won't start reading all the time because it will bore you :)

I have a large bookshelf that I keep my books on. It's over 7ft tall and about 3 and half wide. I have run out of room and need to buy a new one! :eek:

Paperback books beccause I like the style and they are easy to hold and transport. They also don't have those very irritating covers that slip and slide everywhere!

You can order a book from a libary and they will get it for you.

Personally, I think ebooks are a LONG way off becoming mainstream.

thanks in advance!
Spork

You are welcome :)

dele said:
I consider myself an avid reader, but there are many books that I've lost interest in or found just too boring to read. It's normal. It doesn't mean that the book is bad though - you might not be interested because of your mood or because it's at a different maturity level than you. Waiting a couple years will change your perspective on everything (and you'll be surprised at how much you hate the books that you love now)

That is good advice :)

spork947 said:
Some books I have a hard time comprehending or maybe they are just to dull to pull me into it.
Some books are just dull but I learned to just keep on reading there might be something good in the book anyway.

spork947 said:
I spend to much time watching tv and being on the computer
I did exatly the same thing until i started finding tv boring and turned to books. Just be carefull books can be adictive.

spork947 said:
Do you prefer hardcover or paperback?
Paperback, they are cheaper and easier to carry around only downside is that they tend to fall apart after using them a lot.

spork947 said:
My next question is how close are ebooks to becoming mainstream?
Don't think they will become mainstream, it is just to tiresome to read a book on your computerscreen. They have created a small computer the size of a book where you put a flashcard(or something like it) into the book you are going to read and just replace it when you are done. This should be just at comfortable as reading a book.

:) Hay

I really can't add much to what the others said, except, depending where you are, a library can be a great resource. I primarily get books from my library for several reasons. First, I couldn't afford to buy all the books I read. Second, I don't see the sense in it, for me, I know I won't read a book again, so why buy something that will only get used for a few hours and never again? Third, even though my library is small, the staff is very helpful and if a book isn't there, they will get it for me from another library or when it is time for them to buy more books.
Don't force yourself to read a book just because you think you should. I've put books down because I was compeletly uninterested. Read what you like, but keep an open mind to other genres and take the opportunity to explore. There are too many books out there to read something you can't stand. The more you read, the better you will get at it. And there is nothing wrong with rereading a part to get a better understanding of it. I do it all the time.
I don't own a lot of books, but the ones I have are kept in a bookcase. I generally don't have a preference for hard or soft cover, but for my own personal collection I try to get hardcover. They look nicer all lined up and keep thier value longer.

I don't think it's a problem at all that you find some books difficult to get into, and I too can't get into LOTR and still haven't read it. I find my mind wanders if I'm not interested in a book. I think this is definately something that gets better with time and practice though - I have the patience now to read books that before I would have cast out on reading the first few pages.

I much prefer paperback books, in fact I hate hardbacks. I find hardbacks often quite heavy and they're not as comfortable to hold. Also, I like to carry a book around in my bag with me and so hardbacks are impractical.

I must admit that I don't much like the library unless I'm really desperate. I'd rather save up the money for a book, and often that is where my spare money goes to. I just like reading new books that nobody else has read from and hate it when corners have been turned over on the pages! I can understand that for many people this is a useful service but I just love the feeling of receiving, or buying a new book.

I'd recommend that you try reading some classics or just novels that are considered to be well written. Just being able to complete a novel that you know you've struggled with or you know was worth reading could feel you with a sense of pride you've never felt before. You might want to try Enduring Love by Ian McEwan. I can't say it's a particularly amazing story but somehow it just kept me wanting to read more.

I agree with the other views on ebooks. I really don't like them and I have to wear glasses as it is... concentrating too hard on a computer screen is not nice!

My boofshelves are so crowded now that I had to invest in some huge under-bed boxes, very useful! Yet my bookshelves still have books laying on top of one another. But I can say that I don't think a single one of them is in bad condition... You just have to make sure they are being bent by anything.

Hello. I ordered ice station and I am legend. I look forward to reading them!

I have already read hitch hikers guide to the galaxy once when I was a kid and once more just recently to test my memory. I also ordered the ultimate edition of that book with all 6 novels. unfortunately I have seen the hokey movie which is I believe is the first 3 books so I wasnt motivated to read more.

I remeber since I was very little my dad had a book called aftershock by Robert walker. I thought the cover looked scary and my dad remembers me saying that I would read it someday. well just this week I did! It wasnt the best book in the world but kept me entertained.

I'm reading abarat right now. Its a little strange but ok so far. I dont want to get into the habbit of buying books and not reading them unless they are really bad.

My aunt gave me the LOTR books as a christmas gift when I was little. As strange as it sounds these books made me feel like I was a bad reader because I could never really get into them and understand what was going on. Now that im a old man (23) I can focus my attention a little better.

Thank you everyone for the great replies

Spork

spork947 said:
Then I started LOTR volume one and gave up about a 1/4 of the way due to complete boredom which was making it very difficult to understand.

I too had trouble with LOTR at first. I also found the first quarter of Fellowship hard going, but I persevered and then suddenly I really got into it and could barely put it down! :confused: I loved the rest of the trilogy and even read all the appendices about the history of Middle Earth etc, I was so interested. Then I saw the films, which I adored, and decided to re-read the book, but bizarrely I cannot get back into the book at all. All I can see as I read are the films!

Anyway, my (rather rambling) point is that sometimes it is worth persevering with a book, but if you really hate it (as I hated Wuthering Heights) don't feel you have to finish it - choose something else instead. Life's too short to read books you hate! :)

Then I started LOTR volume one and gave up about a 1/4 of the way due to complete boredom which was making it very difficult to understand.

As you can see, you're not alone... :rolleyes:

I read the xmen 2 novel before the movie came out and it felt like I had already seen the movie 20 times by reading the book before

That's probably quite true. The book came out after the movie, so you actually did watch it -- just in print.

What books would you suggest to get me started? i like science fiction and adventure but will try just about anything.

If you like Xmen, do you like Star Trek? There are a BUNCH of those novels, no matter whether you like the original series, the next generation, deep space, voyager, etc. You might also try the series I'm working on now -- The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Terrific, fast-moving fantasy. If you want a sample, you can visit his website to read a couple of chapters of each of his books, at Jim Butcher's website

Also how do you store your books?

We have lots of bookshelves, but also put them in banker's boxes. These are sturdy cardboard file storage boxes that you can buy at Office Depot and the like. They come in packs of six for about $7. They'll all one piece and have a separate lid to keep out rain and bugs. The thing I like about them is that they have handles and double-strength bottoms. I like them better than plastic totes, because you can't overfill them with too many books. I had a hard time with the Rubbermaid totes getting heavy enough that I couldn't lift them. And bankers boxes stack nicely in a garage or bedroom! :)

Do you prefer hardcover or paperback?

We just had this discussion a few days ago. I like paperback better, both because of ease of reading and price.

How well do public libraries stock fiction novels and the new releases?

Well, that depends on where you are. You don't say in your header. Most libraries in the U.S. (people on this board are from all over the world) regularly stock new hardcover fiction. They usually rely on patron donations for paperbacks, though. But if you read fast, you might have to wait a bit for brand new fiction, because there can be a waiting list at smaller libraries.

My next question is how close are ebooks to becoming mainstream?

I don't agree with the rest on this question. They're becoming more and more popular. The trick is that the hardware to read the books haven't caught up. But lots of people are preferring e-books for travel, since they can take a laptop on a plane and tuck ten books in a coat pocket. I'd say in the next 3-5 years, someone will come out with a really inexpensive and easy to use reader. It all depends on demand from the public.

You'll get a great reading list from this group, so listen close and enjoy!

Cathy

I fall in with the rest of the group on most of the questions - I believe you'd have answers to your main queries from these replies.

Like Cathy, I disagree (to a point) with the rest of the crew on ebooks. I carry a PDA with me at all times just so I will have something to read when I'm stuck somewhere (waiting in a long queue, travelling). I can carry up to twenty books in one handy device, and it's easy to stock up on books. Like public domain works available in Project Gutenberg. Stores such as Amazon or BN or Fictionwise have free stuff as well, mainly classics, or promotions and free contemporary books from time to time.

I get to sample lots of stuff I normally wouldn't pick up from the bookstore because they are available for free, or available for a small fee.

I agree that reading books on computers suck, I don't like reading them even on my laptop! - but reading them on a PDA is something else.

Another pro - I'm too lazy to look up a new word I find in a book, but to learn a new word in a PDA is just a couple of taps away.

Just my 2 cents.

ds

I did some more reading on ebooks and havent found anything to strengthen my hopes for them.

The sites listed had some great free stuff and lots of the classic novels which I need to read but most newer books I couldnt find anywhere to buy in ebook form.

Another downside from what I've read is there are many different formats and troubles with copy protection. I would prefer everything to be in a universal format and no rediculous copy protection. Also you cant let friends borrow your books because of copy protection or for the same reason I'm listing after this.

I agree very much about hating to read on a computer screen and what just occured to me is how could even the best pda or ebook reader be any better? my eyes become tired and irritated very easily. Its not only about making them affordable but i think they are a very long way off making something that reads like ink and paper.

A loaded book shelf just looks nifty but its the contents that count and shouldnt really matter in the decision between paper or e form. I wish I could buy the printed book and have the option to obtain the ebook for a small fee.

I also had one more question. Whats the best pocket/smallest dictionary available? I have a websters paperback from the dollar store that im using now but something a little smaller would be nice. I even looked for a electronic dictionary but couldnt find one with good reviews.

thanks

Spork

I just stayed up last night after a long week of work and read almost all of ICE station in one sitting, minus the few chapters i read through the week.
You guys didnt tell me reading was that addictive.

I thought it was a great book. At times the action scenes got a little rediculous and to heroic but I liked it nonethelss. I had a few questions about the end though. im not sure how to do the spoiler section where you have to highlight but im just going to give it a try.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the end of the book you find that niemeyer was shot down from his 727 and never returned. Who was it that shot it down? and what was so important about the paper he took from the library? Was he going to visit the previous wilkes before he was shot down? im sure i missed some important details from going through so fast so I was hoping someone could explain
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks!

It told you! :D

So how to do the Spoiler-thing:
write (SPOILER) at the beginning
and (/SPOILER) at the end but with square brackets => [] instead of the rounded ones.

If you would like to discuss it => make a new thread in the fiction folder. :D

Back