• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

vBulliten Software Idiosyncrasies

Sitaram

kickbox
This is the second forum I have participated in which is powered by vBulliten Software, by Gelsoft.

For the first time, today, I realized that if total posts for a member exceed 500, then when you click that members profile, and request to see all posts, you can only access 500.

It might be useful for some people to know this, since, if you really want to access all your posts for some reason, you face this 500 limitation.

Perhaps the SEARCH forum feature is a way to access all posts, provided your screen name is rather unique. I have not experimented with SEARCH. If SEARCH does return more than 500, then it would probably return all posts where your screen name is mentioned, i.e. replies, as well as posts you have made.

Of course, the Forum SORT feature, on member ID, would be one way to find all of your posts in a give forum.

One work-around, I suppose, would be to end (or begin) each post with SitaramYYYYMM where YYYY would be 2005 and MM would range between 01 and 12.

This would allow access by month (as long as one did not submit over 500 posts in any month).

On another vBulletin board I use I can click on my posts and get all 14,000 of them - no 500 post limits. I don't know what you could be doing wrong.

Stewart said:
On another vBulletin board I use I can click on my posts and get all 14,000 of them - no 500 post limits. I don't know what you could be doing wrong.

Perhaps it is a matter of how the vBulliten software has been configured. Perhaps there are system advantages on a server to limit to 500. Perhaps there is a software configurable option which the administrator can override, but which comes with 500 as a default setting. Obviously, if you can retrieve 14,000 posts on another vBulliten powered forum, then it is possible.

I know that at online-literature.com, the option to send E-MAIL to members has not been enabled, whereas that feature does function on this forum, for users who elect to receive E-mail. I even tested the e-mail feature out with a lengthy E-mail of many pages, just to see if there was a length limit, as there is in the PM, but there seems to be no limit.

The
Code:
 [spoiler] ..... the butler did it [/spoiler]
is a great feature here. But the spoiler BB code has not been enabled yet at online-literature.com

The search function is currently set to return a maximum of 500 results for any search. There are disadvantages in terms of server performance (even on a dedicated server like we have for TBF) if we set the number much higher.

If you go to "advanced search", you can choose a date range to search, eg find posts that are older than a year or similar.

The spoiler feature is a custom BBcode feature we have here.

Not all BBcode forums use the same codes and not all of them use all the possible BBcodes available.

Oh Gosh! By accident, I found something that works as a spoiler code! (at online-literature, which has an orange background)

[-code-][-color-=orange] test test [/-color-][/-code-]

If you remove the dashes (-) then you have the following. And if you hold down your left mouse button, and drag over the box, you may then read the text.

Code:
[color=orange] test test [/color]

The above actually works with the orange background of online-literature.

None of the following seem to work with the white/silver background of this forum.

color=white

Code:
[color=white] test test [b]test test [/b][/color]

color=gray
Code:
[color=gray]  test test [b]test test [/b][/color]

color=silver
Code:
[color=silver]  test test [b]test test [/b][/color]

Helpful Hints From Hacker-Heloise

If you are curious about the codes that someone has used in a post, to achieve a certain effect, you can click on QUOTE, and then examine the actual codes in the buffer. It is not necessary to actually post the quote.

Back