• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Very...very put off writing. Need help

wilderness

I wrote a 33 page novella at the end of last year and I'm working on another one at the moment which is for a competition which finishes in december.
I'm quite happy with my story so far (10 pages so far...still early days) and I dont think its too bad., It consumes most of my thoughts and I love the story and characters.

So i re read the first 7 bpages of my novella from last year and almost cried. Last time i read it, i was happy and thought it was good!! GOOD! it was TERRIBLE. Actually terrible.

And im so discouraged to keep on writing this one,. I mean i know im happy with it, but i was happy with the other one and its sh*t now.

argh. any comments?

lani

Just write the damn thing. You get better with experience; not by worrying about past efforts.

Why are you discouraged? So, last year you thought the story was brilliant and now you think is rubbish. That means that you have matured. Carry on with the story you are writing; it will be more mature too. (Thumbs up emoticon absent from the site)

wilderness said:
And im so discouraged to keep on writing this one,. I mean i know im happy with it, but i was happy with the other one and its sh*t now.
I'd say it's a good sign that you're not happy with it any more - it shows you are learning and developing as a writer and are able to identify its flaws. It is also likely that you were too close the writing previously to really identify where it could be improved. If you are still happy with the plot, you should definately re-write it and fix the things you are now unhappy with. Maybe then you could post your re-write on the writers board here for people to have a look at.

wilderness said:
I wrote a 33 page novella at the end of last year and I'm working on another one at the moment which is for a competition which finishes in december.
I'm quite happy with my story so far (10 pages so far...still early days) and I dont think its too bad., It consumes most of my thoughts and I love the story and characters.

So i re read the first 7 bpages of my novella from last year and almost cried. Last time i read it, i was happy and thought it was good!! GOOD! it was TERRIBLE. Actually terrible.

argh. any comments?

lani

He who makes no mistakes doesn't make anything! You're gradually working your way up the learning curve. The worlds best authors didn't grab a quill and start writing that way as soon as they left the womb. The only limits in life are the ones you set for yourself, never give up my friend!

Hold it!

You are upset because as you write you are betting better??
Isn't that what is supposed to be happening??
I'd quit in a minute if my second work was worse than my first.

Don't fret -- write - It's your sword.

Back