• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vladimir Nabokov: Glory

Poshlost'

Finally, the thought of a paragraph that I noticed especially in reading Glory has come back to the surface of my memory. Martin has been touring Molignac and speaking with various people there (p.162).
He told the woman who ran the only Molignac inn that he was Swiss (which was confirmed by his passport) and gave her to understand that he had long been roving the world working at odd jobs here and there. The same information he conveyed to her brother .....It was thus the third time in a couple days that Martin changed his nationality, testing the credulity of strangers and learning to live incognito. ... Such words, such notions and images, as those that Russia had engendered did not exist in other countries, and it often happened that he would lapse into incoherence, or start to laugh nervously when trying to explain to a foreigner the various meanings of some special term, say poshlost'. He felt flattered by the infatuation of the English with Chekhov, by that of the Germans with Dostoevski.
Yes, "...the various meanings of some special term, say poshlost'." Not just any random term does Nabokov choose here in Glory, but poshlost', a word that would appear prominently in his discussion of Gogol in 1944, according to what we can read here,
Poshlost - NYT review "Waiting for Gogol"

And the meaning of which would be further elaborated in considerable detail by Nabokov in an interview in 1967,
Poshlost - Paris Review interview by Gold

In the meantime, the word came to prominence in connection with Lolita, when Nabokov referred to "philistine vulgarity" in his afterword, "On a Book Entitled Lolita," in 1956, and Appel then made the reference clearly explicit in his Introduction (p.xlviii), 1991, as "an amalgam of pretentiousness and philistine vulgarity."

All of this is by way of background for mentioning a web page (which I can't now find in my favorites) which stated that poshlost' was the second term brought into the English language by Nabokov, to be forever associated with his name -- the first of course being nymphet.

Therefore, it is all the more surprisiing to find it mentioned, as if casually, in Glory, in 1932, twelve years before its appearance in connection with VN's discussion of Gogol, and twenty some odd years before the fame of Lolita. One has to conclude, apparently, that poshlost' was a concept that provided a continual background for his writing, even if it might have the appearance of a clue buried deeply and mischievously in Glory that was waiting for decades to be discovered by some reader.

Neverthelss, I found it indeed startling to see the word mentioned in Glory, after having become so familiar with it in connection with Lolita and in various forums in which Lolita has been discussed.

One man's reaction,
Peder

O-M-G!

Peder You've done it! Now that you mention it, I did notice "poshlust", and it skipped over the contours of my little pea brain, and disappeared! Marvelous!
My characters are galley slaves.
Vintage Nabokov. :cool:

:D
Vintage Peder....:D

Pontalba,
Where on Earth did you find that wonderful line "My characters are galley slaves.?"
Perhaps close to the place which I now forget, where I remember him saying something like "I can have the leaves fall off the row of trees along an entire avenue with merely a single glance." :)
Peder

PS Do read his obituary, now over in Everything Nabokov, for words of his that will make you gasp or laugh out loud. Also for his examples of poshlost.
P

peder I am almost positive it was at the end of p.5, which is as far as I got last night. They were talking about how some authors say that their characters carry them away and write themselves. Thats when Nabokov came up with the above quote! It was way too good to pass up. That article is pure Gold. Hah! Pun intended/or not...:cool:

Peder I just had to post this sentence from the (Nabokov's) obit in this thread. It so applies to what we spoke of a few days ago....
Unlike many émigrés, Mr. Nabokov did not anguish over a lost life or engage in endless intrigues and interminable argument.
In mentioning that he "did not anguish" over the situation, it implies that he naturally knew of all the intrigues going on about him......and that he'd use it in his novels.

PS I think that Gold interview may be the interview included in the Lolita Casebook because it does ring a bell. It's just too far down in my stack to check though, and I'm feeling more than a bit sleepy
Peder

Back