• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vladimir Nabokov: Glory

... his collapsible tub.

If I'm not mistaken, VN was the proud possessor of just such an item. I don't know if he kept it until the end of his days, as he did with that travel trunk. I guess I must have read about them in Vera?

Spoilers don't spoil a thing for me, so y'all may go on ahead and spoil away insofar as I'm concerned! :) (Otherwise, there is such a thing as invisible ink. A person has to wish to see what's in there in order to read that stuff.)

Onward! For some reason, Glory is proving to be a hard little Podvig for me to crack.

:D

StillILearn said:
Onward! For some reason, Glory is proving to be a hard little Podvig for me to crack.
SIL It was the same for me, some parts I could not read fast enough, and some parts not so fast....:rolleyes: . But I would have to say that coming up to the end is so nerve wracking, wondering just what is going to happen, and then when it actually does the reader (at least this one) feels like they've run into one of those roadblocks that loom suddenly across the road.

Or as Emeril would say BAM! :D

StillILearn said:
If I'm not mistaken, VN was the proud possessor of just such an item. I don't know if he kept it until the end of his days, as he did with that travel trunk. I guess I must have read about them in Vera?

Spoilers don't spoil a thing for me, so y'all may go on ahead and spoil away insofar as I'm concerned! :) (Otherwise, there is such a thing as invisible ink. A person has to wish to see what's in there in order to read that stuff.)

Hi Still,
Just got back from breakfast and here you are!
Thanks for your views re spoilers. I myself hate to see spoiler bars, because I can't help peeking. So I'd rather just plain read the spoiler information if it is there, or else prefer that it wasn't there at all. But that's just OMO.

Fascinating, about the collapsible rubber tub. An entirely new dimension to the man. :rolleyes:

Just out of curiousity, how far along are you in Glory? And, if it is the book that is just not pulling you along, maybe you could offer a thought why not and we could share our reactions. No reason we all have to like all the books all the time and say only glowing things here.

And, we could tease you with fascinating scenes just ahead around the turn. :D j/k j/k

Peder

OK! OK! I'LL ADMIT IT.........I DON'T REMEMBER THE COLLAPSING TUB.........THERE I SAID IT....... :eek: :(

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

ok, I feel much better, more mellow, calmer and so forth..... :eek:

posted by Peder--1. Whether or not he finally succeeds in impressing the girl;

2. Whether or not she finally agrees to marry him;

3. Details of his success in his project; and

4. What that terrible cost might be.

They might be four things we could avoid discussing until our remaining two members, StillILearn and Steffee, have finished reading the story. So,

1. Does that seem like a workable approach?

Sounds like a good plan to me. :D

Just had to announce that it is Pouring Down Rain! here for the first time in ages, and ages!!!

Great for the plants, terrible for going out in it!

But Yay! all the same.......:cool: :D

TBF, or indeed, the Internet, might not be around by the time I finish reading it. :(

But thanks for remembering us. :)

steffee said:
TBF, or indeed, the Internet, might not be around by the time I finish reading it. :(

But thanks for remembering us. :)
Oh Steffee,
That sounds pretty drastic! :(
Well maybe at that time you will then start a Return to Glory thread and, to your utter amazement, we will all suddenly appear and sign on! :)
In the meantime, we will definitely keep thinking of you and, if you want to just pop in to say Hi once in a while, please don't think you will be interrupting. We'll be overjoyed to hear from you! :) :)
Very best,
Peder

Aww, Peder, thank you.

Do please continue your discussion now, and seriously, I will join in once I have a slight grasp on the coursework and exams situation. :)

steffee said:
Aww, Peder, thank you.

Do please continue your discussion now, and seriously, I will join in once I have a slight grasp on the coursework and exams situation. :)

Oh Steffee! I know your coursework etc has to come above all else, but do hurry and join again! And set and visit a spell sometimes anyhow. ;)

Aww, thanks Pontalba. I will. I am reading all your posts in the meantime though, and they're very insightful, as always. :)

Steffee Shucks!
I think that everyone that has posted in these various Nabokov threads has posted something that has been a revelation at some point. Brain storming!:cool:

I was thinking about the fact that VN, no matter where he and Vera located themselves, felt 'out of place'. Do y'all suppose thats why they really never managed to put roots down in a permenant manner? I assume that it was partially financial in the beginning, but later on? Perhaps he felt as Martin did---p.54-55
...derisive corrections on Sonia's part. Thus Martin quite unexpectedly found himself classified as ignorant, adolescent and a mamma's boy. ...........At Cambridge he felt still more foreign. Upon talking to his English fellow students he noted with wonder his unmistakably Russian essence.
Even down to the clothing he wore...
No longer would Martin dare wear the colors of the striped jersey bought once, long ago, at Drew's, the English shop on the Nevski, for they corresponded to the athletic uniform of a public school he had never attended.
And finally--
In truth, all this English-ness, really of a rather haphazard nature, was filtered thru his motherland's quiddity and suffused with peculiar Russian tints.
Never to go back to a Home from which one was so violently wrenched. :(

pontalba said:
Steffee Shucks!
I think that everyone that has posted in these various Nabokov threads has posted something that has been a revelation at some point. Brain storming!:cool:

I was thinking about the fact that VN, no matter where he and Vera located themselves, felt 'out of place'. Do y'all suppose thats why they really never managed to put roots down in a permenant manner? I assume that it was partially financial in the beginning, but later on? Perhaps he felt as Martin did---p.54-55
Even down to the clothing he wore... And finally--
Never to go back to a Home from which one was so violently wrenched. :(
Well, Pontalba,
That is certainly food for thought, but sounds very plausible to me. It also provided the housekeeping that enabled them both to work so busily in their joint "V&V" book publishing operation. But it would seem they could have put roots down and still had household help as needed. Once, I think VN said that being in Switzerland helped him have 'distance' from the America that he was writing about. Perhaps also rootlessness was another way of keeping a distance, although they did live in that one residential hotel for a long time once they settled there after Lolita.
I need sleep, /yawning/
but may be back later,
Peder

pontalba said:
OK! OK! I'LL ADMIT IT.........I DON'T REMEMBER THE COLLAPSING TUB.........THERE I SAID IT....... :eek: :(

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

ok, I feel much better, more mellow, calmer and so forth..... :eek:

Chapter Fifteen, "Gardens and Parks," concludes Speak, Memory, when Nabokov addresses his wife, Vera, and touchingly talks to her about their son, Dmitri and all their shared memories.

But that short summary of the book's contents is devoid of the detail and style that makes Speak, Memory a wonderful book. The prose is some of Nabokov's best. His descriptions his experiences sparkle with a exactness that would be hard to believe if it were anyone but Nabokov. For example, Chapter Three of Speak, Memory begins with:

The kind of Russian family to which I belonged--a kind now extinct--had, among other virtues, a traditional leaning toward the comfortable produces of Anglo-Saxon civilization. Pears' Soap, tar-black when dry, topaz-like when held to the light between wet fingers, took care of one's morning bath. Pleasant was the decreasing weight of the English collapsible tub when it was made to protrude a rubber underlip and disgorge its frothy contents to the slop pail.

'We could not improve the cream, so we improved the tube,' said the English toothpaste. At breakfast, Golden Syrup imported from London would entwist with its glowing coils the revolving spoon from which enough of it had slithered onto a piece of Russian bread and butter. All sorts of snug, mellow things came in a steady procession from the English Shop on Nevski Avenue: fruitcakes, smelling salts, playing cards, picture puzzles, striped blazers, talcum-white tennis balls.4

This level of detail not only lets the reader vicariously experience Nabokov's childhood, but also informs his work. He was a man of observation, collecting experiences to give real life to fiction. Like the novels he read, taught and wrote, his life and its book are worlds that require exploration. Speak, Memory is not a quick read, being dense with details that must be slowly absorbed and enjoyed, but it is well worth the effort.

This review was written for The Bookworm Turns: An Everything Literary Quest. www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1278295 - 32k

(I haven't read "Speak Memory" yet, so I had to have read about this is collapsible tub in Vera. I think he kept it!)

When last we saw our timid knight, he was headed toward Cambridge. There two great changes would occur in his life. He would start winning some of his single-combat battles against real life, building up his self-esteem, and he would meet Sonia, perhaps his doom.
He would engage in single combat against the face of a rock cliff by attempting to climb it, and almost kill himself. And he had already been defeated with a single poor tennis shot after almost defeating a pro tennis player. At Cambridge, and during his summer vacations in Switzerland, he would reverse those defeats and also add an undeniable plume to his cap in his performance as goalkeeper for his college. On his own scorecard he could justifiably feel that he was pulling ahead. Nevertheless, after he graduated his Uncle could still say to a friend,(p.128),
Here's this young man, for example....he has finished college, one of the most expensive colleges in the world, and you ask him what he has learned, what he is prepared for. I absolutely don't know what he is going to do next. In my time, young men became doctors, soldiers, notaries while he is probably dreaming of being an aviator or a gigolo."
Wrong, and wrong. But still, and even yet,
Martin had no idea what he served as an example of
in that tirade of his Uncle's
..but the abbe apparently understood Uncle Henry's paradoxes and smiled commiseratingly.
What a bitter, condescending pill for a young man to have to swallow, when he would like to think well of himself!

But then there was also Sonia during those college years.
More drama to come!

Peder

Peder said:
PS And I can't help noticing that he (and you) dangle before our eyes a book which has a well-nigh irresistible title. I am tying myself to the mast like Ulysses did to resist the Siren's call, but I dunno if the ropes will hold. :(
P
Let go of the rope and go to Powell's.com....:eek: 4.80 or 9.85 US!

And that was just in the introduction! ;)

Back