• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vladimir Nabokov: Lolita

Steffee I meant to ask you, which translation of Swann's Way do you have? I bought the whole thing awhile back and its staring at me from the shelf just to the left of my computer. I have the Lydia Davis. The little I've read is quite wonderful and readable. It seems one of those books you can dive into and not come up for air for quite awhile.

Um... it's a Penguin and it has a picture of Jeremy Irons on the front. :confused:

I haven't a clue really, it's an old version, I think. I stole it from my mum. :eek:

pontalba said:
Company Picnic? You would not find me at one of those for sure. The idea fairly reeks of bugs in food, ants crawling all over....everything..ewww. No, I'm not really an outdoor person. Now I do on occasion, enjoy sitting outside and reading. I'm afraid thats the extend of outdoorsmanship for me. :eek:

pontalba, I have to admit that I simply cannot feature you sitting on a wooden bench in the full sun while gnawing on a leg of extra crispy from a cardboard bucket. I can see you sitting in a cushioned swing on a covered porch with a mint julep and a good book however. (Don't worry, I excluded the bugs.)

porchswing.jpg

I wonder what happened to the pic you posted?

Anyhow, this is about my speed. No mint julep though. Maybe a tall iced coffee.....
10xf49d.jpg

I want a porch swing, or a glider. We keep drooling over the ones in the lawn and garden area at Walmart, but imagine them flying off on one of our numereous windy days..

abecedarian said:
I want a porch swing, or a glider. We keep drooling over the ones in the lawn and garden area at Walmart, but imagine them flying off on one of our numereous windy days..
I think I saw them doing just that in some book I once read. :rolleyes:

:D Why Shucks!

But you guys are right, Judy Garland was too old for HH by that time, and yes, I am fairly certain the outfit on Lolita would have done him in completely.

ABC How are you liking the book, any, um comments....? :D

pontalba said:
:D Why Shucks!

ABC How are you liking the book, any, um comments....? :D

This is certainly not light reading, is it? I keep thinking 'Dan Brown wishes he could write like this.' :D At this point, I'm feeling sorry for Charlotte.It wasn't her fault she couldn't be what HH desired.

abecedarian said:
This is certainly not light reading, is it? I keep thinking 'Dan Brown wishes he could write like this.' :D At this point, I'm feeling sorry for Charlotte.It wasn't her fault she couldn't be what HH desired.
LOL I bet he does, if he is in fact even aware of Nabokov....(bad me, I know!)
And yes, Charlotte is to be pitied...........but otoh....

Shhhhh! Pontalba be quiet! OK.....
pontalba quietly tippy toes away from the newly inspired reader with regret.....:D

Back