• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vladimir Nabokov

Peder

Vladimir Nabokov, born somewhat over a hundred years ago, in 1899, has been called one of the most brilliant and respected literary figures of the twentieth century, and Lolita, his most famous novel, one of the greatest novels of the twentieth century. Nabokov's writing career, from his first poem written in Russian to his final novel published in the United States, spanned an amazing and very prolific 60 years during which it seems he must always have been writing (perhaps even when hunting butterflies on vacation). An abbreviated list of his works occupies two sides of a flyleaf in the front of his novels as they are published in the U.S. nowadays. It lists 41 items, including nineteen novels, several volumes of short stories, a screenplay and dramas, three series of lectures on literature, an autobiography and a well-named collection of his Strong Opinions -- ignoring all of the different versions and translations of his works into foreign languages. Lolita herself has sold over 50 million copies, a feat surpassed only by very few other works.

However, it is not his statistics that capture the reader, but rather his extraordinary writing style, his ever-present sense of humor, the intriguing complexity of his stories and the individually drawn human conditions in which all of his characters find themselves and struggle their ways to their respective destinies. In my opinion, to read Nabokov is to learn to love the humanity in people.

The simple goal here is to share our own personal reactions, openly and honestly, to what we have read, and to enjoy doing so.

The thread is open to everyone, whether or not you have read any of Nabokov or only heard of him, or perhaps want to learn something about him. Everyone is encouraged to come and share their thoughts and questions and be assured of a friendly reception and discussion.

So please come join us as we explore one of the larger playgrounds in all of literature. It is nearly impossible to imagine ever reading all of Nabokov's works, although I am sure many have done it. As a dream however, it may be possible to hope that, sometime in the distant future, each one of his works might have been at least surveyed by some member or other of this forum, until at last all have received some attention. If that glorious day ever arrives, then the thing to do will surely be to follow Nabokov's own admonition: Re-read! :)

As the lights go down and the curtain goes up, some of the conversations are already in progress from earlier Lolita and Enchanter threads.

So let's join the gathering and see what they are talking about. This looks like a friendly group, over here . . .

Now it's here and I've got stagefright :eek: :eek:

Hello Peder, nice to meet you :)

Peder said:
So please come join us as we explore one of the larger playgrounds in all of literature.

I love it! :D

steffee said:
Hello Peder, nice to meet you :)
I love it! :D
Hi, Steffee!
Especially nice to see you too here at the Grand Opening. :) We have a little more room to spread our wings. Make yourself right at home, and think Nabokov, Darkbloom, Nabokov, Darkbloom .... :cool:
Peder

Peder said:
However, it is not his statistics that capture the reader, but rather his extraordinary writing style, his ever-present sense of humor, the intriguing complexity of his stories and the individually drawn human conditions in which all of his characters find themselves and struggle their ways to their respective destinies. In my opinion, to read Nabokov is to learn to love the humanity in people.
Peder Thats one of the nicest reviews of an author I have ever read! Bravo! I especially appreciate the above paragraph, as it condenses many of my own feelings about Nabokov. A sense of humor is essential to humans. After all, sometimes if you dont laugh, you must cry. And Nabokov makes one feel all of the emotions available to humankind.

Even just the characters in the few novels of his I've read so far...Lolita herself, Humbert, poor Humbert. Wierd Arthur, and slick little Rochelle, and the abominable Quilty to name a few.

I'll be back, and yes that is a promise.........not an implied threat! :D ;)

pontalba said:
Peder And Nabokov makes one feel all of the emotions available to humankind.

At once!

Yes, how very true!!!

I think you've cracked it, all those thousands of posts and even more thousands of views, and the secret of Nabokov's success is finally out! :)

Where to start, where to start?

Nabokov's total literary output is so huge that one hardly knows where to begin. Perhaps one begins with Lolita, his landmark work, and explores from there. Or perhaps one is put off by the subject matter, as many are, what then? Abandon Nabokov? I would suggest not. There are so many other enjoyable writings of his that it would be a shame to lose out on all that reading pleasure by one of the icons of literature. So, especially if you are new to Nabokov, there is a real question where to start.

The web is awash with material about the man and his works -- too much for easy comprehension, in fact. A google search for 'Nabokov' just now returned 5,350,000 hits. So where to start? Here are two links that might help. An detailed overview of his major literary works, together with a condensed but quite detailed biography, can be found at

Nabokov Life and Works

while a much more complete guide to his works together with a pleasing collection of Nabokoviana, again with a condensed biography, can be found at

Zembla

But, to return to the question where to start reading, if Lolita is not for you?

Perhaps you might start with Pnin, an altogether gentler novel than Lolita but with Nabokov's unmistakably humorous style, which opens with Professor Pnin traveling to a lecture but, unbeknownst to him, on the wrong train.

Or if you wish to "start at the beginning" then there is Mary, his very first novel. It too begins in an unmistakably Nabokovian manner, with two men stranded in the pitch dark in a stuck elevator, trying to shake hands after introducing themsleves, but without being able to see each other -- or their hands.

It is fair to say, nothing is ever simple in a Nabokov novel! :)

However, perhaps the best way to start is to simply pick a novel, dig in and start reading. Oh, and incidentally, please come join the discussion here. It will mean so much more to you.

Hope this helps,
Happy reading,
Peder

"... all of the emotions available to humankind..."

Pontalba, Steffee,
Yes! And I stare at the printed page, and read his sentences, and wonder how he accompishes that so gracefully and with so few words!
His writing, separate from his story telling, is just so amazing to me.
Peder

Did you see on the Zembela website the annoted version of Ada? Now that could come in handy! Just for future reference guys!! LOL :rolleyes:

But really Pnin is on the surface a simple tale of a sweet professor that cannot go home. I already have to reread, as per VN's instructions...:)

I well know that I would not have delved so deeply into the whys and wherefores of Nabokov, or even Lolita if not for this forum. And I must add someone that encouraged me in that enterprise. It is and has been a very enlightening experience. :)

Please to continue.

steffee said:
Doesn't it feel like we've moved up a notch now, and we're now in serious discussion mode? :eek: :D
Steffee,
I dare say that Nabokov is getting to feel not so strange to us. Each book is different, with a different way of telling a different story, but still one can feel the same author at work. There's no one just like him. And in the appreciations I have been glancing at, I have been intrigued by the authors whom he is claimed to have influenced. He has apparently had his impact among other writers also. That's high praise!
Peder

Meanwhile please keep the champagne flowing, but I have to catch some sleep.
CU tmw,
peder

So please come join us as we explore one of the larger playgrounds in all of literature.

Very nice intro., Peder. It feels -- kinda roomy and cozy all at the same time. Can we still wear our PJs when we're posting in here?

When's 'happy hour'?

:)

LOL StillILearn! PJs, fuzzy slippers and socks even!
I think Happy Hour is when we all get in here together and start raising some sand! Glad to see ya found the old joint again. :cool: :D

Stay Tuned.

pontalba said:
LOL StillILearn! PJs, fuzzy slippers and socks even!
I think Happy Hour is when we all get in here together and start raising some sand! Glad to see ya found the old joint again. :cool: :D

Stay Tuned.

I may still be in my jammies, but I hereby promise to always brush my teeth in the mornings before posting in this snazzy new joint. :D

Strong Opinions (aka SO)

I just flipped thru SO, and found something I think y'all will appreciate. p.115:
On Septenber 3, 1968, Nicholas Garnham interviewed me at the Montreaux Palace for Release, BBC-2. The interview was faithfully reproduced in The Listener, October 10, of the same year: a neat and quick job. I have used its title for the present collection.

You have said your novels have 'no social purpose, no moral message.' What is the function of your novels in particular and of the novel in general?

One of the functions of all my novels is to prove that the novel in general does not exist. The book I make is a subjective and specific affair. I have no purpose at all when composing my stuff except to compose it. I work hard, I work long, on a body of words until it grants me complete possession and pleasure. If the reader has to work in his turn--so much the better. Art is difficult. Easy art is what you see at modern exhibitions of things and doodles.

Ouch! btw, italics are the question, and plain print VN's answer. Just in case there was a question.

IOW VN wants and actually requires the reader to, gee whiz, think and analyze what the reader has read. The talent to conceptualize this process is awe inspiring to me. Its difficult enough to write "ordinary" dialogue, much less this immersion that Nabokov demands of himself. So, I feel that he has the right to demand as much from the reader.

StillILearn said:
I may still be in my jammies, but I hereby promise to always brush my teeth in the mornings before posting in this snazzy new joint. :D
:D :D Always a 'good thing'...LOL. Lets hang a few pictures, and throw around some pillows on the floor and let loose! What about some lava lamps over there on the side table? :rolleyes:

I've been reading a bit more of Strong Opinions, and believe you me, it is aptly named!! Remarkable man, remarkable writing! Verra Strong Opinions!

Good Night All.

pontalba said:
I've been reading a bit more of Strong Opinions, and believe you me, it is aptly named!! Remarkable man, remarkable writing! Verra Strong Opinions!

Good Night All.
Pontalba,
This is going to be a completely wild, possibly off the wall, maybe totally unfounded, completely vague impression, entirely without book and page citation (yet). But the feeling is growing on me that Nabokov, the man himself, is going to be an enigma more difficult to unravel than any of his novels. I have the growing feeling that he has many selves (personas, personae?) that he presents in different ways to differrent people in different circumstances for many purposes, half-to-all of them inscrutable. The cover of Strong Opinions uses the word "outrageous." Other times he is (unduly IMO) self-effacing. Other times clearly humorous (I think). Other times clearly ornery (I think). Sometimes I suspect puckish. SIL has remarked on her perception of the lofty attitudes of the Nabokov's seen in Vera. The quoted Letters that SIL gave, seemed (to me) to show a quite direct and realistic person(s). And I have read somewhere that he could keep a dinner-table-full of guests rolling on the floor in gales of laughter with his wonderful stories.
So this thread may have the full stature of the individual Lolita and Enchanter threads already posted if Nabokov himself might become the topic to be unraveled. And now that I think of it, with memory prompted by these thoughts, they sound like the outgrowth of a thought that I saw someplace, which I then dismissed as unduly hostile to the man, that all of his public statements ought now to be reevaluated from the point of view of a deliberate intention to adjust and control the face he presented to the public. So, I dunno.
Am I alone in this feeling, or
Will the real Nabokov please stand up?
Peder

PS The feeling began to grow with his answer to an interviewer (p206, Casebook), that I can find, namely
Lolita is famous, not I. I am an obscure, doubly obscure, novelist with an unpronounceable name.
Believe that if you can! :)
P.

Oh, and BTW, it seems I missed a good party! I was wondering what all that noise was from downstaris last night. Great way to begin a new thread! Congratulations all. :)
Peder

Back