• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vladimir Nabokov

Peder said:
many selves (personas, personae?)

Either will suffice.

Isn't it strange that the plural of 'schema' is 'schemata' though? I think 'personata' sounds quite fetching.

Sorry for the distraction, do continue this fabulous discussion :)

steffee said:
Either will suffice.

Isn't it strange that the plural of 'schema' is 'schemata' though? I think 'personata' sounds quite fetching.

Sorry for the distraction, do continue this fabulous discussion :)

Don't be silly, steffee. These forms of distractions are what keep life interesting, and what could be more interesting than making up words and then musing about them? :D

I found a link that may be helpful when we get around to discussing Ada, and (having no pockets in my jammies), I decided that this would be a safe place in which to hide it.

Have we seen this one before?
Ada, or Ardor, annotated and online

It's mere serendipity that it just happens to be so awfully alphabetical.

steffee said:
...I think 'personata' sounds quite fetching.
Steffee,
Just to edge a tad further away from topic (beofre suddenly snapping back to our crazy senses) there was La Passionara during the Spanish Civil War whose name always intrigued me, even if not her politics. /gasp. run, flee, he said a naughty/
Peder

StillILearn said:
I found a link that may be helpful when we get around to discussing Ada, and (having no pockets in my jammies), I decided that this would be a safe place to hide it.

Great link! I haven't seen it before but it's most useful. :)

A safe place to hide it though? Never... :D

Lolita is famous, not I. I am an obscure, doubly obscure, novelist with an unpronounceable name.

This, pontalba, this is a subject that I (for one) will find endlessly fascinating. As you know, I was left with the impression (after reading Vera) that the Nabokov /I/ knew was at least fifty percent Vera! Being merely a Nabokovian novitiate, I'm eager to see (find out) just how wrong I was. According to Peder's estimations of how many books there are left out ther efor me to read by and about the two of them, I have approximately the entire rest of my life in which to find out. ;)

Peder said:
Steffee,
Just to edge a tad further away from topic (beofre suddenly snapping back to our crazy senses) there was La Passionara during the Spanish Civil War whose name always intrigued me, even if not her politics. /gasp. run, flee, he said a naughty/
Peder

Calm down. Prolly had something to do with her religion. ;)

Edit:

La Pasionaria (the passion flower) - wikipedia (God, I love the internet.) :D

StillILearn said:
Don't be silly, steffee. These forms of distractions are what keep life interesting, and what could be more interesting than making up words and then musing about them? :D

I found a link that may be helpful when we get around to discussing Ada, and (having no pockets in my jammies), I decided that this would be a safe place to hide it.

It's mere serendipity that it just happens to be so awfully alphabetical.
Still,
Right on both counts, Yes and No. :D Yes, on words, no on having seen that amazing Ada link. All I can say is OMG, OMG, OMG what a beautiful job they have done! On quick look I didn't notice whether Boyd's commentary there is the same as his book of commentary on Ada, or yet different remarks, but how much of a workaholic could one person be? So I would suppose the same.[?] What a treasure trove!
I notice it also says read the book first (the same as Boyd says for Pale Fire, for which he also has a brilliant book of associated commentary and interpretation.)
Many thanks, Oh Muse of the West!
Peder

Peder said:
The simple goal here is to share our own personal reactions, openly and honestly, to what we have read, and to enjoy doing so.

Thank you for the invitation to join your group. Many years ago I read Lolita, and then tried to find other books by Vladimir Nabokov. He impressed me so greatly I wanted to read all of his book. I think I read one or two more then my life went in another direction.

I would like to just tag along and hopefully my memory will come back :eek: and I will be able to contribute.

Hi Madeline, welcome to the nuthouse :D :D

How many books and stories did Nabokov write altogether? Does anyone know?

Madeline said:
Thank you for the invitation to join your group. Many years ago I read Lolita, and then tried to find other books by Vladimir Nabokov. He impressed me so greatly I wanted to read all of his book. I think I read one or two more then my life went in another direction.

I would like to just tag along and hopefully my memory will come back :eek: and I will be able to contribute.
Madeline,
I am so overjoyed to see you here. You can't imagine! That should be cause enough for another party! You are of course welcome to tag along and to contribute anything and everything that comes to mind and I am especially glad that you have already come to see the wonder of Vladimir Nabokov. That means we won't have to twist your arm. :D
In a way I wish it weren't only 'our' group, but rather 'everybody's' group. However we can't have everything (at least not all at once). So please regard yourself as part of our group wherever and whenever you may be, and please don't hang back! We put up a brave front, but we really are lonely in here (some of us anyway :) ).
Yours most sincerely,
And I love your avatar,
Peder

Mornin' Guys! btw, that Ada, or Ardor stuff is in that Zembala website that Peder posted at the very first!

Madeline its great to see ya here, hope you enjoy this here little crowd. :D Nabokov, I suspect, is like riding a bike, it comes right back. So get the little gray cells going.

SIL....little gray cells, get it? David Suchet, Poirot? LOL
I finally finished Pnin last night. Now to reread. :rolleyes:

Nabokov was an extremely multi-faceted (to say the least) man. Now, don't drop your teeth or anything, but I really and truely suspect that a great deal of his personality came from covering up his shyness. Yes Shyness!! Over compensation. Know what I mean?

OK now for my tea..........I need it badly with this crowd. :D :cool: ;)

steffee said:
Hi Madeline, welcome to the nuthouse :D :D

How many books and stories did Nabokov write altogether? Does anyone know?
Steffee,
Not I said Liitle Bear. (He hasn't learned to count that high yet).
Someplace I saw an enumeration, but as usual can't find it.
Will certainly post it when I come across it again.
Peder

pontalba said:
Mornin' Guys!

Err.. morning(!!) pontalba ;) :D

pontalba said:
Nabokov, I suspect, is like riding a bike, it comes right back.

:D :D :D

pontalba said:
finally finished Pnin last night. Now to reread. :rolleyes:

A reread so soon? So it is tough going?

pontalba said:
Nabokov was an extremely multi-faceted (to say the least) man. Now, don't drop your teeth or anything, but I really and truely suspect that a great deal of his personality came from covering up his shyness. Yes Shyness!! Over compensation. Know what I mean?

Yes. Interesting perspective. Examples? ;) :D
I can't wait for others to expand on this line of thinking...

{waits patiently} :)

pontalba said:
Mornin' Guys! btw, that Ada, or Ardor stuff is in that Zembala website that Peder posted at the very first!
Pontalba,
You mean the attic? :confused:
I've also been looking for your comment (I believe) about Pnin not being able to go home. How apt an observation, for a thought that is far from front and center in the book, and you rend my heart further for poor hapless Timofey. :(
Peder

Madeline said:

Hey, Madeline! Tag along for sure! Peder said a mouthful when he said:

I wish it weren't only 'our' group, but rather 'everybody's' group.
:)

... that Ada, or Ardor stuff is in that Zembala website that Peder posted at the very first!

Count on Peder to be on Z while I'm still on A. ;) It figures. :rolleyes: I'm heading back there to the beginning all over again just as soon as I get my 'bearings' around here.

:D

steffee said:
A reread so soon? So it is tough going?

Yes. Interesting perspective. Examples? ;) :D
I can't wait for others to expand on this line of thinking...

{waits patiently} :)

Steffee,
Naw, it's not tough going. It's really quite an easy read -- the first time. His obscurity is well-hidden. :eek: :rolleyes: It's the second and third times that you really wonder where he hid it. :cool:
As for shy, maybe.
But I think the expansion of the thought is going to begin with an accumulating list of isolated quotes from hither, thither and yon as we come across them. From his writing mastery I have the greatest difficulty imagining him as anything but this urbane, well-spoken, outward going, confident, witty and happy guy, head over heels in love with Vera. He would have every reason to be all of those IMO. But then again even Clark Kent was shy. :rolleyes:
And I would never, ever vote aginst Pontalba's intuition, forsooth!
peder

I think that's the right word

Yes, its still morning here 10:18a.m. to be exact. :) And no Pnin is not a difficult read, but it is deceptively simple. ;) When I finished this morning about 2 a.m., I realized that I'd missed some stuff. Partially because I did not read it in a couple of gulps (so to speak). The second read is always better.

Peder You are undoubtedly a Nut of the Highest Order. From me a high compliment btw!

Now Steffee my reasoning is this. Partially vibes, which I trust implicitly. Secondly, look at nature. When prey (for want of a better word) is being stalked by a (perceived) larger predator, its hair puffs up and it will attempt to project a hostile demeanor. Note that Nabokov would not (usually) answer any questions 'off the cuff', they had to be presented to him well ahead of time. He wanted to project just the right tone in his answers.
Now a word about what I call 'vibes'. When I meet a person, or read a book, I subconsciously gather information about that person/book. I may not know or remember exactly where I received an impression, but its stored in the data banks to be accessed at any given time. (if that makes any sense. Its not all of it, but its the best I can explain them. :)

I'm trying...
Just ordered Pnin and hopefully can begin to discuss something soon. How would I ever find the first novel "Mary"? I'll keep searching, would like to read it.
And I'm so glad to get to begin a discussion at the beginning.

Peder said:
Pontalba,
You mean the attic? :confused:
I've also been looking for your comment (I believe) about Pnin not being able to go home. How apt an observation, for a thought that is far from front and center in the book, and you rend my heart further for poor hapless Timofey. :(
Peder
When you click onto the Zembela (sp.?) site, look on the sidebar, and you'll see something about Ada. Click it.
Yes, that was my comment regarding TP. To me, his not being able to go home colored everything about him. Look at the way he was so happy about the house. And he thought it was as though he'd not left St. Petersburg. It made me want to cry. And when he looked back at the girl's fate. /sob-sigh/
Now one of the reasons I want to go back right away and reread, is the Narrator......:confused: I know who he was, but am unsure as to why TP reacted to him as he did. I know I must have missed it in the beginning.

Madeline Amazon has Mary. I have not bought it (for a wonder!), but I've seen it advertised there. Just put "Vladimir Nabokov" in the search area.

Back