• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vote for August Book Discussion

rune

I know this is late for doing this, but we have to start somewhere. In future I'll get a thread up quicker for voting for the next months book discussion :D
Hopefully this month we can get a book chosen within the next couple of weeks.

I think everyone should be able to nominate 2 Books max for each months vote OR of course 2nd someone elses nomination. The book with the most votes is choosen for discussion :)

Should be simple enough (she says :D )

Here are my two nominations -

The Weavers of Saramy - Chris Wooding
War For The Oaks - Emma Bull

The Light Ages - Ian R Macleod
Elric - Michael Moorcock. (I have the Fantasy Masterworks edition - The Dreaming City, While the Gods Laugh, The Stealer of Souls, Kings in Darkness, The Caravan of Forgotten Dreams and Stormbringer)

Haven't read any of the books mentioned (including my own) but I should be finished with Lolita in a few days, then give me a week to read the winner.

Really glad to know about books. :) but just wondering why you voted for the ones you typed here? more info? :rolleyes:

So far we have one vote for each of the following books -

The Weavers of Saramy - Chris Wooding
War For The Oaks - Emma Bull
Steven Erikson - Gardens of the Moon
Gene Wolfe - Shadow of the Torturer
The Light Ages - Ian R Macleod
Elric - Michael Moorcock

watercrystal said:
Really glad to know about books. :) but just wondering why you voted for the ones you typed here? more info? :rolleyes:

My two picks are:
(a) the first books in two of my favourite fantasy series.
(b) books that I think would generate a lot of discussion.

Here are plot summaries from amazon, but for me to describe what I like about them, in my opinion, defies the point of the idea. Tis about trying new things, so have some faith. I'll save my comments for the actual discussion.

Amazon.co.uk Review: Gardens of the Moon
With a field as crowded as heroic fantasy, a reader is entitled to know what makes the latest blockbuster worth his or her attention: but Bantam books are throwing considerable marketing weight behind Steven Erikson, because they clearly believe he is the Next Big Thing. They may be right--he has the breadth and detail of imaginative vision, he is able to create a world that is both absorbing on a human level and full of magical sublimity, and, above all, he can write.

Gardens of the Moon concerns the military campaign by the Malazan Empire to capture the last remaining Free City on the Gernsbackian continent. War is waged with conventional soldiers as well as powerful magicians, and gods mix with mortals in a complex, but rewarding, series of narrative threads that come chiefly out of the school of Feist's Magician, although there is also something of the flavour of Gavriel Kay's celebrated Fionavar books. The moon of the title is a wonderfully grand conception, a sort of floating mountain that moves through the skies of the war-striken continent, and is the home of the 'Son of Darkness'. The various magical battles are splendidly written, and the characters are well realised. Rewardingly mellow and fiendishly readable.

Amazon.co.uk Review: Shadow and Claw
One of the most acclaimed "science fantasies" ever, Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun (1980-83) is a long, magical novel in four volumes. Shadow and Claw contains the first two, The Shadow of the Torturer and The Claw of the Conciliator, which respectively won the World Fantasy and Nebula awards.

This is the first-person narrative of Severian the lowly apprentice torturer, blessed and cursed with a photographic memory, whose travels lead him through the marvels of far-future "Urth", and who--as revealed near the beginning--eventually becomes his land's sole ruler or Autarch. On the surface it's a colourful story with all the classic ingredients: growing up, adventure, sex, betrayal, murder, exile, battle, monsters and mysteries to be solved. (Only well into book two do we realise what saved Severian's life in chapter one.) For lovers of literary allusions, they're here in plenty: a Dickensian cemetery scene, a torture-engine from Kafka, a wonderful library out of Borges and familiar fables changed by aeons of retelling. Wolfe evokes a chilly sense of time's vastness, with an age-old, much restored painting of a golden-visored "knight" who is an astronaut standing on the Moon; an ancient citadel of metal towers which are grounded spacecraft. Even the Sun is senile and dying, and so Urth needs a New Sun.

The Book of the New Sun is almost heart-breakingly good, full of riches and subtleties that improve with each rereading. It is Gene Wolfe's masterpiece and strongly recommended

(I don't much like that review to be honest, doesn't really capture what the books are about)

I'd like to 2nd Oponn's choice, Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. Just finished reading it a few weeks ago.

Thank you, Oponn, for your reply. :)

Best regards, :)

I think I am in the mood to start some non-fiction books next couple of months.

An update on were the voting is at the moment :)

The Weavers of Saramy - Chris Wooding – 1 vote
War For The Oaks - Emma Bull – 1 vote
Steven Erikson - Gardens of the Moon – 2 votes
Gene Wolfe - Shadow of the Torturer – 2 votes
The Light Ages - Ian R Macleod- 1 vote
Elric - Michael Moorcock - 1 vote

Two books are now in the lead. Therefore I will start a poll to see which book gets the most votes :D

Back