• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vote for March 2012 BOTM

Vote for March 2012 BOTM

• The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Atonement by Ian McEwan

• The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • The Princess Bride by William Goldman

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Schindler's Ark by Thomas Keneally (aka Schindler's List)

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • The Godfather by Mario Puzo

• To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Har, Polly! It has much more to do with available time. Getting involved in discussions takes me too much time and now I am trying to do some writing.

Aha, I have the same problem. I can't read anything outside my curriculum just now. Which is why I fully intend to propose a Woolf novel for April's BOTM. :D

Ah bugger it! Princess Bride is down by a vote now! Dagnabbit!

If I may, I'm going to address the fact that folks vote and then don't participate. I am one of those and have no qualms admitting that I'm not going to read and participate in a discussion of a book I don't want to read. Sorry about that. I have little enough time to read the books I DO want to read. Perhaps if there were 2 or 3 choices that were appealing I might participate more, but not for a book that I really do not want to read. I suspect many folks are like me in that respect.

Will, would you have read the Princess Bride if it had won? I'd have read a couple of the others, but that one was a definite no for me.

Landslide, please do make the votes public next time.

No offence, but this was a fairly light-hearted suggestion, 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' is a great book and is really, really short. Not heavy going, light-Victorian detective drama. Serialised at a time when the railways where being laid across England to make for light 'travel' reading for all; the concept that this is some heavy-going, or overly bleak book is just silly.

So you know what, I am going to go the beer good route and just say 'f*ck it'. Feel free to cancel my vote; I won't be taking part.

Will: Why not take part? If you're going out of your way to vote and get the book you want voted for I don't see why you won't read it?

Alix: I think the idea of BOTM is to read something that is either something you like or something that other people have put forward. Why not take the chance and read Conan Doyle, you may like it. And if not, you can always put it down after the first few chapters / pages if you really can't finish it.

This all seems to be getting a bit silly and play-groundish.

Will: Why not take part? If you're going out of your way to vote and get the book you want voted for I don't see why you won't read it?

It is because of how silly it's getting I'm saying fair enough, people seem to really want to read Princess Bride so I am totally up for that being the case.

Seeing as The Hound of the Baskervilles got the majority of the votes I'd say that's the one people want to read. *shrugs*

Alix: I think the idea of BOTM is to read something that is either something you like or something that other people have put forward. Why not take the chance and read Conan Doyle, you may like it. And if not, you can always put it down after the first few chapters / pages if you really can't finish it.

Polly, I've already read it. I didn't enjoy it the first time around and don't feel I would be contributing positively in a discussion about it in that case. I agree with you that BOTM is generally to read something you like or that someone has recommended. I apologize if that was not clear in my postings. I thought I'd mentioned I didn't want to reread something I didn't care for. FWIW, I've also read the Princess Bride, and wouldn't mind rereading that one.

Listen folks, we don't need to take this so seriously. I thought it was OK for me to voice my opinion, and to explain my POV. I thought the "campaigning" Will and I were doing was all in fun. Sorry if it came off badly, I was sort of enjoying the banter myself. I also thought that perhaps I should explain myself as it will become rather obvious I'm not participating in the Hound discussion.

I seem to have pushed a button or two. Sorry folks! I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest here. Please continue with your voting and choices, I'll pop up for the next round, I think I'll bow out this time around.

I think its that we were all having fun but no one wantsed to really stop others enjoying their book of the month thing. Hence go for Princess Bride. It's cool.

Or we could do both books. Neither one is exactly a weighty tome. Will, you in? beer good? Anyone else? I'll make time for it. I've only got two library books out at the moment. I can squish them all in I think. (Who needs sleep anyway?)

Alix, you know what, count me in. I will order it now in fact.

What do you say beer good :flowers:

Fine by me.

And I'm sorry for escalating the tone earlier. FTR, I wouldn't have read Baskervilles either way - I've read it, and it's not one of those I care to return to. (Much like Death On The Nile.) But hey, if you're going to be gracious, I might as well be too. :)

Awwww aren't we just like The Waltons, but in cyberspace. ;-)

k3i9tcker1ri1ric.jpg

I actually found a copy of The Princess Bride on eBay, new too! Alas, no Kindle version though. Not that that's an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back