• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Voting: December 2005 Book of the Month

What book shall we read for December 2005?

• Skipping Christmas by John Grisham

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • The Double by Jose Saramago

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • The Brothers of Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • The Sea by John Banville

• The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem

• Colorado Kid by Stephen King

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Sight Unseen by Robert Goddard

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mehastings

Voting will close November 10, 2005. I've listed the books with more than one nomination first, and then taken the others in order mentioned.

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham

Amazon.com: John Grisham turns a satirical eye on the overblown ritual of the festive holiday season, and the result is Skipping Christmas, a modest but funny novel about the tyranny of December 25. Grisham's story revolves around a typical middle-aged American couple, Luther and Nora Krank. On the first Sunday after Thanksgiving they wave their daughter Blair off to Peru to work for the Peace Corps, and they suddenly realize that "for the first time in her young and sheltered life Blair would spend Christmas away from home."

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Amazon.com: Despite its lascivious reputation, the pleasures of Lolita are as much intellectual as erogenous. It is a love story with the power to raise both chuckles and eyebrows. Humbert Humbert is a European intellectual adrift in America, haunted by memories of a lost adolescent love. When he meets his ideal nymphet in the shape of 12-year-old Dolores Haze, he constructs an elaborate plot to seduce her, but first he must get rid of her mother. In spite of his diabolical wit, reality proves to be more slippery than Humbert's feverish fantasies, and Lolita refuses to conform to his image of the perfect lover.

The Double by Jose Saramago

Booklist: His latest novel is a provocative meditation on identity: specifically, the story of how ordinary history teacher Tertuliano Maxim Afonso awakens one morning to find a video that he's rented but not yet watched playing on his VCR. And one of the characters--the actor playing the role, that is--is the spitting image of Tertuliano, as he appeared about five years ago. Tertuliano is divorced, lonely, depressed--in other words, susceptible to filling in his time and mind with an obsession, which this situation quickly becomes. He decides to track down the actor who is his double, with disturbing, even dire, consequences.

The Brothers of Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Review: "[Dostoevsky is] at once the most literary and compulsively readable of novelists we continue to regard as great . . . The Brothers Karamazov stands as the culmination of his art--his last, longest, richest and most capacious book. [This] scrupulous rendition can only be welcomed. It returns to us a work we thought we knew, subtly altered and so made new again."--Donald Fanger, Washington Post Book World

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

From Publishers Weekly: At once audacious, dazzling, pretentious and infuriating, Mitchell's third novel weaves history, science, suspense, humor and pathos through six separate but loosely related narratives. Like Mitchell's previous works, this latest foray relies on a kaleidoscopic plot structure that showcases the author's stylistic virtuosity. Each of the narratives is set in a different time and place, each is written in a different prose style, each is broken off mid-action and brought to conclusion in the second half of the book.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Inside Flap Copy: They opened a door and entered a world--Narnia--the land beyond the wardrobe, the secret country known only to Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy. Lucy is the first to stumble through the back of the enormous wardrobe in the professor's mysterious old country house, discovering the magic world beyond. At first, no one believes her. But soon Edmund, Peter and Susan, too, discover the magic and meet Asland, the Great Lion, for themselves. And in the blink of an eye, they are changed forever.

The Sea by John Banville - Booker Award 2005

Amazon.com: Max Morden has reached a crossroads in his life, and is trying hard to deal with several disturbing things. A recent loss is still taking its toll on him, and a trauma in his past is similarly proving hard to deal with. He decides that he will return to a town on the coast at which he spent a memorable holiday when a boy. His memory of that time devolves on the charismatic Grace family, particularly the seductive twins Myles and Chloe. In a very short time, Max found himself drawn into a strange relationship with them, and pursuant events left their mark on him for the rest of his life. But will he be able to exorcise those memories of the past?

The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem

Publishers Weekly: If there still remains any doubt, this novel confirms Lethem's status as the poet of Brooklyn and of motherless boys. Projected through the prism of race relations, black music and pop art, Lethem's stunning, disturbing and authoritatively observed narrative covers three decades of turbulent events on Dean Street, Brooklyn.

Colorado Kid by Stephen King

From Publishers Weekly: King is the author of record when it comes to fiction set in America in recent decades, and here he is with a noir detective story. Alas, what he actually turned in was a cozy, a sort of Jan Karon take on the hard-boiled genre. And at the end, it turns out to be rather arty - if by "arty" you mean "doesn't answer any important questions." Fresh out of journalism school, Stephanie McCann is an intern at a weekly newspaper in an obscure corner off the coast of Maine. She is writing homey features and reporting on trivial stories, but she rather enjoys it. Then a big-city reporter comes to town to gather stories about "unsolved mysteries." The paper's owner and the managing editor send him away unsatisfied, and then tell Stephanie the only real unsolved mystery on the island.

Sight Unseen by Robert Goddard

Book Description: Another classic mystery from the "master of the clever twist."
On a summer's day in 1981, a two-year-old girl, Tamsin Hall, was abducted during a picnic at the famous prehistoric site of Avebury in Wiltshire. Her seven-year-old sister Miranda was knocked down and killed by the abductor's van. The girls were in the care of their nanny, Sally Wilkinson.

I voted for Lolita, because it is the book that is highest up on my TBR list. I won't mind at all if Lewis wins though - I've been wanting to read this one also.

I voted Cloud Atlas since I am currently reading it, but would have no problem with Lolita or The Chronicles of Narnia (no way I would just read one book in the series) since they are sitting on my bookshelf.

i voted for the chronicles of Narnia because i wanted to read it before of the movie coming out at Christmas (don't know if it's already come out in the rest of the world)

I voted for 'Skipping Christmas' by John Grisham - not really come across it before and am not a Grisham fan, but it seems like a nice light hearted and interesting read for December. Alas it's only garnered the one vote so far (mine!), but think I'll read it anyway. My second choice would have been The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe - read it but many years ago and it would be good to read again. So I'm rooting for that one now :)

Hi, everyone. I'm new here, but I think this place is great, and the Book of the Month is a splendid idea. Count me in.
I voted for Fortress of Solitude because it sounds like a refreshing and illuminating story, and Brooklyn imparts a kind of cozy, familial feeling. But alas, none of the libraries where I live carry it. So I'll be happy with Lion Witch Wardrobe or Lolita, with a slight preference for the former.

I voted for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe...mainly because its the only book I own that's listed, and The Brothers Karamazov seemed too long (I've got TONS on my TBR list as it is!).

Hi I was torn between The lion the witch and the wardrobe and Lolita. Finally Lolita won.

I voted for Lolita because I think it will be a good book discuss, but mostly I did NOT vote for the Lion the witch and the wardrobe because:
1. It is a 7 part series and once I start a series I have to finish it. I simply can't afford to buy 7 books right now.
2. The Narnia movie thats comming out, I want to see the movie before I read the books, I find if I read the book first I am usually very dissapointed in the movie.

Hugin: although The Lion The Witchis part of a seven-part series, it's not the first in the series. Having said that it was the first one written (the Magician's Nephew was a sort of prequel that was written after), so it should be possible to read it on its own without missing anything important.

I voted for Lolita because it's a great work of literature and The Lion the Witch is just a great children's book! Having said that, I would quite like to re-read it. I read the Narnia series twice through or more when I was a child and loved them (well, except for the Horse and His Boy ... zzz). Contrary to Philip Pullman's raging assertions, I never once felt that I was being preached to about Christianity - though that might have disappointed Lewis, since it's pretty obvious from an adult viewpoint, looking back, that that's what he intended. I'd be interested to see if the analogies are clearer now. Sadly I'm one conversion Clive Staples missed.

Shade said:
Hugin: although The Lion The Witchis part of a seven-part series, it's not the first in the series. Having said that it was the first one written (the Magician's Nephew was a sort of prequel that was written after), so it should be possible to read it on its own without missing anything important.

Yeah, as I remember, the different books followed different sets of kids to Narnia although some, I think, recurred.

Yes, that is correct :)

• The Magician's Nephew -Polly & Digory
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy
  • The Horse and His Boy - Shasta & Aravis
  • Prince Caspain - Peter, Susan, Edmund, Lucy & Prince Caspian
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - Edmund, Lucy & Eustace
  • The Silver Chair - Eustace & Jill
  • The Last Battle - Eustace and Jill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back