• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Voting: July 2006 Book of the Month

Vote for your choice

• Devil In The White City by Erik Larson

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Shake Hands with the Devil by Romeo Dallaire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation By Lynne Truss

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Gun's, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowel

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • On Writing by Stephen King

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mehastings

Voting to end May 31.

Wondering where your book is? Tough competition this month, so only books with seconds got selected.

Excuse a poor newbie, but exactly what does that mean? We're allowed to vote for books, but we're not allowed to actually say anything about those books? Isn't that, I don't know, sort of the point of this site?

beer good said:
Excuse a poor newbie, but exactly what does that mean? We're allowed to vote for books, but we're not allowed to actually say anything about those books?

It's to ensure that some don't influence others in their voting choices.

And that would be a bad thing because...? Oh well. Never mind. Would be nice to have some sort of official list of where we're allowed to say what, that's all.

beer good said:
And that would be a bad thing because...?

Because someone who has no interest in the voting could be bullied or begged to vote for one of the mostly dull titles on offer for July. Let the people pick what they want, if they want, to read without being coerced into something. And if they don't vote then let that vote be wasted rather than used for someone else's agenda.

It goes back to syrmik, a forum user, who tried to get people to vote for his book as book of the month.

I gotta agree with Beer.. how are we suppose to know which book to vote for if we haven't heard of them? The answer: we don't. We only vote for the books we've heard of. Plot summeries aren't good enough to ensure people vote according to what interests them. If we were able to discuss the books for vote someone might be able to put in their opinions of novels we might not be familiar with.

For what it's worth I agree with the policy that stands. If people want to find out more about the books, there are plenty of reviews and opinions out there, on Amazon and elsewhere.

Shade said:
For what it's worth I agree with the policy that stands. If people want to find out more about the books, there are plenty of reviews and opinions out there, on Amazon and elsewhere.

That's a yay from me.

Unfortunately, the issue is not up for discussion at this time. The policy was made as a result of members feeling bullied and begged into voting for certain books. If things change, we will let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back